IGNORED

In one short year...

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a few questions for everyone, but first i'm going to give you a (hopefully) quick synopsis of my golf journey thus far...

I'm a 5'10 now only 165 pound dude originally from Jersey, now living in LA. I've always been a gifted athlete first; competition and a thirst for perfection have been in my blood since I could walk. I've played almost every sport imaginable at a high level, including my #1 passion for 24 years, basketball, at a division 1 level.

Last summer, (exactly 1 year ago today), I played golf with my father, who is a nut for the game, but not the best golfer in the world. His attempts at getting me to play since I was 5 were null and void. But I went out with him because I knew he'd enjoy it....and it somewhat hooked me. Now I was still playing basketball upwards to 5 hours a day, in some of the most competitive leagues I could join in LA, and pick up games whereever...but I broke my elbow playing one day, and mentally aged 100 years. Basketball was only going to wear my body down, and god forbid something happened to one of my knees. So I quit, and commited myself to playing golf. Within 8 weeks I was back swinging a club again, gingerly, but well enough to make progess.

A long story short, I've been out EVERY SINGLE day for at least 4-5 hours (it would be way more if I didnt' have to work !). I thankfully found a good group of great golfers to guide my game, and today, exactly 1 year after I started playing, I am a 0 handicap, and in recent weeks have been shooting under par 1/4 rounds. Anywhere from 70-76s. My game is seriously coming into form thanks in part to the athletic ability I was gifted with, but mostly is a product of how patience i've been and the endless hours I have grinded away in the last year.

I'm starting to compete on mini tours, and in PGA qualifiers, but I feel like I'm really stuck at a certain point.

My short game is lights out, and my putting is absolutely at a tour level. My wedges are dead on point and my irons are solid. I could not warm up at all and have them lights out in one swing. I've developed a swing with these clubs that isn't timing based, so it's locked in on a day to day basis (of course this isn't to say I don't hit bad shots...it's just a very strong point of my game).

What isn't locked in is my driver. There are days when I drive the ball better then anyone on the planet could, but other days when it's just not there. I step up to the tee and feel a little lost. I'm long as hell, hit a ball or two well over 320 a round, and when I hit fairways, I'll average about 305-310 per drive. Length isn't my issue. It was something I was obsessed with when I first started but quickly got over it.

What I really need is a swing with my driver that is LOCKED IN...and not timing based. Unforunately when you swing the club 115 MPH it's tough to be really consistent, but I'm delusional enough to believe that there isn't a fairway I should ever miss. I feel like with my length and how solid my irons are, if the ball is in the fairway all day, just go home, you're done. Write the check right there.

Finally to the questions...

I'm the in mirror constantly, working on perfect posture and hitting perfect positions on the backswing. I know what it feels like to take it back on plane. But when I get out there, the swing is way flatter on the way back then it feels like it is. I'm almost positive it's a byproduct of my overactive hips, which is way I hit the ball so far (damn all that fast twitch muscle training from basketball). They fire so quickly that is flattens out the club and slots it before the backswing is even completed. I feel like this is a huge source of my inconsistent days with my driver. I want so badly for my positions to be impeccable, as I know this is the source of consistency, I just am a little lost as to what to do.

I know postiing a video is obvisouly the most impoortant thing at this point, and it will be up later tonight. I just wanted to get this post out there, mostly venting, but when I get the video up we can get to the technical stuff.

Thanks,

Amno

Originally Posted by Amnonongus

my putting is absolutely at a tour level.

Amno

I have no advice really as an 18 handicap.. other than damnnnnnn 1 year and tour level putting? i'm jealous and impressed with 4-5 hours of practice daily.. wowwwwwwwwww

I'm the second guy to respond, so don't forget about me when you make it on tour. Seriously, I admire your confidence. I would also say you may not get much better without professional help. You could alway take a look into evolvr to see if they can help.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love when someone comes on here and their first post is about how awesome they are.  OP went from never playing to mini-tour player in a year...troll much?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by vmsea

I have no advice really as an 18 handicap.. other than damnnnnnn 1 year and tour level putting? i'm jealous and impressed with 4-5 hours of practice daily.. wowwwwwwwwww

Originally Posted by cipher

I love when someone comes on here and their first post is about how awesome they are.  OP went from never playing to mini-tour player in a year...troll much?

I'm just trying to fill people in on the situation. The only person trolling is you.

I'd venture to say that there are quite a few people in the world whom, if they put in the amount of time I have, would be great golfers as well. It has nothing to do with "boasting about how awesome I am". Quite the contrary. I'm a good golfer, but won't get to where I want to if I don't get over the hump that i've been at for a few months.

If you were to go to one of the nicest public courses in your area and make 18-20 6 footers 5 times in a row before you could go home every night, you'd be a hell of a putter too.

I was under the impression that this was a forum for intellectual discussion, so if we could keep it at that, I'd appreciate it.

I ain't touchin this....

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I'm just trying to fill people in on the situation. The only person trolling is you. I'd venture to say that there are quite a few people in the world whom, if they put in the amount of time I have, would be great golfers as well. It has nothing to do with "boasting about how awesome I am". Quite the contrary. I'm a good golfer, but won't get to where I want to if I don't get over the hump that i've been at for a few months. If you were to go to one of the nicest public courses in your area and make 18-20 6 footers 5 times in a row before you could go home every night, you'd be a hell of a putter too. I was under the impression that this was a forum for intellectual discussion, so if we could keep it at that, I'd appreciate it.

You are a mini tour player and you are coming on a golf forum for swing advice and intellectual discussion? You analysis of your swing is wrong, overly active hips are not a cause of "so much power". This entire thread just screams BS to me. Sorry, hope I am wrong. If you want help make a swing thread.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

A friends now 14 yo son wasn't consistently breaking 90 last year but has been working hard on his game and recently shot a 69 to win a JR tourny, so fast improvement is possible if you are a good athlete and work at it.

Is this what you mean when you say your swing flattens-

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

You people are completely misunderstanding what I'm saying.

I'm going START competing in these events coming up in the next few months. I don't expect to win. I expect to get crushed.

But being around those kinds of players and getting tournement legs under me is what I need. I don't understand what is so hard to believe.

And Thank you, MEFree, for something constructive.

You could say it's Rickie-esk, but he gets to the top before it gets flat. Mine almost starts flattening out before I even get there. Almost like the club starts slotting before I'm even at the top...and this is with me feeling like i'm turning fully and pausing at the transition. Know what I mean?

Again, i'll get the video up soon.

Originally Posted by cipher

You are a mini tour player and you are coming on a golf forum for swing advice and intellectual discussion? You analysis of your swing is wrong, overly active hips are not a cause of "so much power". This entire thread just screams BS to me. Sorry, hope I am wrong.

If you want help make a swing thread.

I have gotten to where I am based on self education and the help of scratch golfers i've met. Forums like this are precisely HOW I became the golfer I am. Understanding ball flight laws and really what makes the ball do whatever it's doing on any shot imo is half of what you need to be a good golfer. The rest is engraining the execution of it into your muscle memory.

Please, do me a favor, and don't reply to this topic again, cipher.

The thread is titled "in one short year..." I did this, but no, you are not boasting. :). No worries I will stay out of your thread. Just calling it out for what it is.

Nate

I don't have much to offer other than just some advise since I am by no means a great golfer let alone a good one. if your game is what you say it is that's great man I wish I could accomplish that also. but you also have to see where the rest of these guys are comming from here as far as you "boasting". when you come to a forum like this to try and learn and see if you can improve your game some of your message was really off such as how you say your putting is and your short game also. I am by no means saying it isn't at all because it might be but when you put them in the way you did it does look like boasting to me also. it's not what you say.....it's how you say it that is key hope this helps and you can find the awnser your looking for

Without seeing your swing or knowing even what your ball flight is or where your misses go my only suggestion could be Googling how to swing a golf club and go from there. However if you are good enough to be in pga qualifiers you need to find a coach because I would guess the rest of them will have one. At least see a pro.

James

At the level you are playing at you definitely need to consider finding a Professional to work with.  This forum is chock full of information and it seems you have learned a lot from other players and reading so there are lots of sources here for sure.

However, to get any really helpful advice that is guided toward you, you will need to post a swing video.

Also, I would check out Evolvr if you are looking for cost efficient lessons from some great instructors.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Amnonongus

I'm starting to compete on mini tours, and in PGA qualifiers

No you aren't.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

No you aren't.

Just a preemptive strike before our earnest and humble OP asks me to refrain from posting.

Please supply links to your results in these "PGA qualifer" events and I will apologise.

Also, mini tours are generally ones where you cough up your own momey with a chance to win some of it back.

What are your results? Links please.

If you are genuine, you'll be proud to share. Lots of people will be impressed and interested. Given that you are tour standard and one of the best in the world on some days in some areas, it's surprising that there hasn't been a single write up about how in less than a year you reached this high standard.

Surely there's something in a local newspaper - "Beginner on track for tour in less than a year" or something, along with a list of results. No? That's odd, there should be.

And it's not like you come across as someone who wouldn't like his ego stroked, so your story should be well known about the traps. "There's this guy who has been playing less than a year and he's already......" No? Oh. Seems weird.

Ain't holding my breath, but that would make me a "hater", I suppose.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Welcome to TST. You playing in the Pepsi events in LA? You should look into the Long Beach Open for 2014 also. Lots of quality players here in Socal. I agree with some of the other comments... Get a swing thread. And link it here so people don't flame you. Also get a solid swing coach that understands the D-plane. Truly understands it. If they don't know this... Find someone who does. Highly recommend Dana Dahlquist in Long Beach, at El Dorado. He knows more about the swing than 99% of the instructors you'll find in the area.

You are a mini tour player and you are coming on a golf forum for swing advice and intellectual discussion? You analysis of your swing is wrong, overly active hips are not a cause of "so much power". This entire thread just screams BS to me. Sorry, hope I am wrong. If you want help make a swing thread.

[quote name="champ198" url="/t/68768/in-one-short-year#post_873971"]I don't have much to offer other than just some advise since I am by no means a great golfer let alone a good one. if your game is what you say it is that's great man I wish I could accomplish that also. but you also have to see where the rest of these guys are comming from here as far as you "boasting". when you come to a forum like this to try and learn and see if you can improve your game some of your message was really off such as how you say your putting is and your short game also. I am by no means saying it isn't at all because it might be but when you put them in the way you did it does look like boasting to me also. it's not what you say.....it's how you say it that is key hope this helps and you can find the awnser your looking for[/quote] [quote name="Shorty" url="/t/68768/in-one-short-year#post_874075"] Just a preemptive strike before our earnest and humble OP asks me to refrain from posting. Please supply links to your results in these "PGA qualifer" events and I will apologise. Also, mini tours are generally ones where you cough up your own momey with a chance to win some of it back. What are your results? Links please. If you are genuine, you'll be proud to share. Lots of people will be impressed and interested. Given that you are tour standard and one of the best in the world on some days in some areas, it's surprising that there hasn't been a single write up about how in less than a year you reached this high standard. Surely there's something in a local newspaper - "Beginner on track for tour in less than a year" or something, along with a list of results. No? That's odd, there should be. And it's not like you come across as someone who wouldn't like his ego stroked, so your story should be well known about the traps. "There's this guy who has been playing less than a year and he's already......" No? Oh. Seems weird. Ain't holding my breath, but that would make me a "hater", I suppose. :-X [/quote] If you made progress this quickly, you are a few among many. Congrats! I am interested in seeing your swing and I'll give any advice I have to give, although I doubt you need much since you're scratch. Regardless of my handicap, I know a lot about golf and the swing. My knowledge and learning is helping me get better, as I have no one to physically teach me and am on my own there. I just can't always execute it, but I can explain things fairly well.

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!