IGNORED

Worst Shot of the Week

Motown88
Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I had about 170 to a green with the pin in the back. The wind was gusting extremely hard so I decided to pull out a 5 iron. I hit it dead straight but a little thin. I'm watching it go right for the pin but lose sight of it in the sun. I assumed the ball rolled off the back of the green. When I get up to the enormous hugely upsloped green is see a ball at the bottom of the green, like 75 feet from the pin way down hill. The wind knocked down my pretty well hit 5 iron to about 135 yards! I couldn't believe it. I had to hit the ball so hard that it flew off the ground before starting its roll lol. Oddly, I had perfect speed and left myself pin high about 2 feet away, which I then proceeded to miss of course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that 15?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Played a par 3 that was about 165 to the green. Took out my 8i aiming for the center of the green and instead it took off right. Thought I was going to carry the pond and land in the bunker but managed to drop straight into the pond about a foot from the grass behind the bunker.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Skyway Links - Jersey City, NJ:

Serious links course - high fescue everywhere - hitting fairways is paramount.    Par 5 ... perfect drive, middle of fairway ... very tight, so decided to pull 5i to just advance ball.    Dead chunk - pulled it into the high grass.   Took 4 to get it out - it was that bad.

Ruined round ... that miss came out of nowhere ... such an easy shot, and I blew it.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Skyway Links - Jersey City, NJ:   Serious links course - high fescue everywhere - hitting fairways is paramount.    Par 5 ... perfect drive, middle of fairway ... very tight, so decided to pull 5i to just advance ball.    Dead chunk - pulled it into the high grass.   Took 4 to get it out - it was that bad.   Ruined round ... that miss came out of nowhere ... such an easy shot, and I blew it.

On the first hole of that course on the approach, I thought the green was right in front of me, aimed 45 degrees right of the green, pushed it 10 more degrees to right. Lost ball, stupid brain fart lazy decision.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Fouled a pop fly off to the right on the par-4 2nd at Sugar Isle GC (New Carlisle, OH). It went about 170 yards and about that high before plummeting into either a legitimate water hazard or maybe just a big puddle. The splat was resounding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Skyway Links - Jersey City, NJ:

Serious links course - high fescue everywhere - hitting fairways is paramount.    Par 5 ... perfect drive, middle of fairway ... very tight, so decided to pull 5i to just advance ball.    Dead chunk - pulled it into the high grass.   Took 4 to get it out - it was that bad.

Ruined round ... that miss came out of nowhere ... such an easy shot, and I blew it.

On the first hole of that course on the approach, I thought the green was right in front of me, aimed 45 degrees right of the green, pushed it 10 more degrees to right. Lost ball, stupid brain fart lazy decision.

yeah, the first hole sets up funny - tough to see the flag as it sets down to the left from the main fairway (only course I've ever seen BLACK flags used - really tough to see them).    The 5i chunk was on the #6 (along road) ... probably the easiest hole on the course ... just reinforces how important maintaining concentration is - can't take anything for granted, even an easy layup.   Still can't believe a course within <5 miles of NYC costs $19 to play ... pretty amazing.

John

Did'nt want to click on this one because I could sense agony. To my surprise getting quite the chuckle. Bought a brand new box of srixons and just could'nt wait to try em. First one,first tee,skyshot into the lake.Sure enough lost 3 in the round.

Not much to talk about. Par 5 double dogleg hit the driver right down the middle, hit the second with a beautiful fade around a hazard. Had less than 70 yards to the pin and hit a shank into the hazard. :censored:

Dead nut straight par 4 where about 40 feet behind the green is the main road the course is on. I slice my drive into a neighboring fairway leaving me about 220 out with a stiff breeze in my face. I pull out my 5 wood that I generally get too far underneath and hit about 190 yards (and 100 in the air). I was playing it safe was just going to lay up and hope to save par but as the golf gods would have it I hit the crap out of it perfect trajectory and straight as an arrow clearing the green dodging all the trees protecting the road and thwacking the side of a passing SUV.

Dead nut straight par 4 where about 40 feet behind the green is the main road the course is on. I slice my drive into a neighboring fairway leaving me about 220 out with a stiff breeze in my face. I pull out my 5 wood that I generally get too far underneath and hit about 190 yards (and 100 in the air). I was playing it safe was just going to lay up and hope to save par but as the golf gods would have it I hit the crap out of it perfect trajectory and straight as an arrow clearing the green dodging all the trees protecting the road and thwacking the side of a passing SUV.

Hate to get jacked like that when hit a perfect shot - no justice in golf !    Curious, what was the aftermath of hitting the SUV ?

John

A revolving theme for me.......350ish par 4.  there is a pair of bunkers from 200-230 that block most of the fairway.  Heavy wind at my back.  I figure a solid strike will carry with the wind.  Barely catch the ball out on the toe with a open face.  Weak push out the right side of the fairway into the tree's about 190yds downrange.  Horrible shot, and bad course management as I could have hit a 4-5 iron and been in the fairway about the same distance.  Fairway is pretty wide here so pretty hard not to keep the mid iron in the short grass....

Longest, hardest par 5 on the course...and its playing straight into a hard wind.  Hit my famous 150yd duck hook straight into the ground....nothing like having about 400yds left to go into the wind on a mean par 5.

Nothing they didn't stop so I guess the aftermath was me taking a drop thinning my chip over the green then 2 putting for a 7 haha

All's well that ends well - LOL !

My worst of the last round was a forced carry on #1 with driver.    Just toed it a little bit & didn't have enough oomph to make it over a creek.    Hate that they have a tough forced carry like that on the very first hole when you're not even warmed up yet - just a bad way to start off a round if it doesn't work out ...

John

Ugh... I had 196 to choose from this weekend.

I'm gonna go with this one...

Second round of a tournament (which I shot my way out of on the first day)... long, three-shot par 5.  I hit a perfect drive into the middle of the fairway.  I still had like 300 yards to get to the green, so I figured I'd try to lay up to a pitching wedge distance.  I hit quite possibly the worst 4 iron ever hit by anybody.  I hit about 3 inches behind the ball... while managing to pull it about 60 degrees left directly into a hazard.  Where I ended up dropping left me no real shot, so I punched a hybrid into the fairway where I was intending to hit the previous shot... and then I hit a sand wedge to about 12 feet.  I missed that and took a double.

It epitomized my weekend.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

My worst of the last round was a forced carry on #1 with driver.    Just toed it a little bit & didn't have enough oomph to make it over a creek.    Hate that they have a tough forced carry like that on the very first hole when you're not even warmed up yet - just a bad way to start off a round if it doesn't work out ...

I usually only take a mulligan on my first swing of the day if I didn't hit any at home before going out. That way when I slice it 2 fairways over into a pond ill call that swing my warm up so after I do it again on my next swing ill only be hitting 3 instead of 5 lol

Any of the 4 shanks in my first 11 holes.  I haven't had 4 shanks in the last 10 years. I hope it was just an anomaly.

I felt a lot like Tin Cup.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!