IGNORED

Worst Shot of the Week

Motown88
Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I figured since there is a "Best Shot of the Week" thread, I'd make one for worst shot (or worst hole).  We all have those bad holes, might as well talk about it and move past it!

I'll get this thread started with a hole I played today

Par 4, 350 yards with a slight dogleg right and a creek 100 yards from the green.  My first tee shot was a terrible slice towards the course boundary.  At the time I thought my ball was still in bounds but decided to hit a provisional just in case.  Good thing too since my golf ball was conveniently a few inches past the fence.  Needless to say I was playing 3 from the fairway. Hit a terrible third shot into a drainage ditch and ended up taking a drop from it.  Long story short, a couple bad shots and 3 putts later and I carded a 10.  Oh and did I mention that my first putt was from only about 10 feet...yea, way to ruin a good round!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kind of thread!!!

Today it was a comedy of mental errors on a par 5. I blocked my tee shot to the right into the rough but it was long enough for the temptation to go for the green in two. I looked at the lie and didn't like it and was debating with myself about what to do and I told my playing partners that "a smart guy would lay up". One of them said he thought I should hit the 3 wood since I was in range of the green.

Normally I never let myself be influenced by someone else on the course but for some reason I decided he was right, even though everything about that lie was telling me to lay up. Sure enough I hit a low hook at the edge of a pond about 30 yards short of the green. When I got to the ball I was relieved that is wasn't in the pond by a few feet but was under a cedar tree with low hanging limbs. Normally not much of a problem with just a restricted back swing bump and run (piece of cake, right?). No need to really concentrate on it. Pulled it toward yet another pond and this time it hopped right in. Then a drop, a not so great chip, and two putts.

Should have laid up and KNEW IT.

I hit a 9 iron on hole #18 that went 80 degrees to my right.   It almost hit my wife (she didn't notice) who was getting ready to hit her ball.   Rather than trying to kill my wife or playing partners by continuing to hit, I quit right there and then.  I was also tired and it was getting really dark.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

c2_beer.gif My kind of thread!!! Today it was a comedy of mental errors on a par 5. I blocked my tee shot to the right into the rough but it was long enough for the temptation to go for the green in two. I looked at the lie and didn't like it and was debating with myself about what to do and I told my playing partners that "a smart guy would lay up". One of them said he thought I should hit the 3 wood since I was in range of the green. Normally I never let myself be influenced by someone else on the course but for some reason I decided he was right, even though everything about that lie was telling me to lay up. Sure enough I hit a low hook at the edge of a pond about 30 yards short of the green. When I got to the ball I was relieved that is wasn't in the pond by a few feet but was under a cedar tree with low hanging limbs. Normally not much of a problem with just a restricted back swing bump and run (piece of cake, right?). No need to really concentrate on it. Pulled it toward yet another pond and this time it hopped right in. Then a drop, a not so great chip, and two putts. Should have laid up and KNEW IT. d2_doh.gif

I tend to do this sometimes and I hate it when I do. I also sometimes am over the ball getting ready to hit my shot and it just doesn't feel right. But, I swing anyway rather than listening to myself and 9 times out of 10, the shot is crap. I try and do this less now and just step away and then reposition myself to make my swing, but every now and then I make this mistake even when deep down I know it probably won't end well.

Haha great posts lol. My worst shot would be a par 4 dog leg left, 410 yds. It was 220 to the edge of the fairway so I decided I would lay up nicely with a hybrid instead I hooked it right OB. Used the same club thinking I can make it to the green and make up for the lost strokes. Instead I chunked it and it only went about 30 feet. 6 iron shot short of the green, duffed my chip and 3 putts. You can do the math.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Long overdue!

530 yd par 5 that bend right around a big pond.  3 shot hole for me EVERY time, as are most par 5's.  Drive down the right catches the rough and settles down a bit.  Rather than skanking a little hybrid out of there that would have easily been inside 100 yds and taken the water completely out of play, I pull a 3 wood and try a much more aggressive line over the water.  Not even close......

Not only a bad swing, but an absolutely BRAIN DEAD decision.  Even if I had pulled off the shot, I wouldn't have improved my 3d shot into the green by more than 30 yds or so.  The stupid things I can do with a golf club in my hand......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

LOL this should be a popular thread. I hit several bad shots every time out. Last night after a perfect 4w on a 411 yd par 4 I had 166 left, middle of the fairway, right behind the 150 pole. A little windy so I decide to knock down a 7 iron. Water left but really not in play, would require a hook to get there and it would have to be short. Sure enough I catch it fat, the ground must have closed the face and it's a low pull hook that hits the bank and bounces into the water. Sucked because that was # 1 and I went on to make double. Actually played a succession of bad shots on the way to back to back doubles.

Dave :-)

Great idea here!

Mine was on the 2nd hole, par 4 340 yards with a 90 degree dogleg right. I hit a very good drive and approach shot to 5 feet from the green, on the fairway, with the flag about 15 feet from the edge of the green. I take my SW out and attempt a small chip, but I end up hitting the ball super thin, sending the ball flying past the hole and off the green. Ended up carding a triple on that one.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Right, my worst shot of the week has to be the par 3 14th on my course, I tee'd off with my 5 iron and the ball drifted over to the right hand side of the green where there are two bunkers, one in front of the other, deep buggers too... Anyway, in the first one I went, thought to myself... Bugger... Because we have had some funny weather in the UK, what with the rain a few weeks ago, and heatwave, the bunkers have got a bit baked.

Anyway, in I popped, sunk my feet in the rock hard sand, picked a point in the sand behind the ball that I wanted to strike, needed to clear the bunker in front of me, talking at least 20 yards to the green... Swung... Whack.... Ball strikes the lip of the bunker, comes back with avengance, and hits me smack bang in the middle of the forehead, club dropped, me dropped... My playing partners howling with laughter.

I couldnt believe it... Though, the ball stayed in the bunker, but managed to get it onto the green with my next shot... Which, was a result considering I almost knocked myself out! :)

Dabz

Tuesday, on a par 4, 370 yards. For some reason I kept hitting the ball into the ground. Two drives slid through the taller grass and fence into a ditch. I was really upset. A few foul word spoken later, I finally calmed down enough to hit a barely adequate drive over the ditch. 6 off the tee! Friday was fine, I hit very nicely off the same tee.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This thread was started two days ago and I already have two posts here! Anyways, here's a worst shot of the week for me.

9th hole 318-yard par 4, that runs parallel to the 8th hole, but separated by a few trees. I'm at the tee and the group behind us is at the 8th tee. I pull out my driver and take a shot, but to my horror the ball starts slicing and goes directly for the group at the 8th tee. I quickly yelled "Fore!" and prayed that when I rounded the trees, I wouldn't find one of them lying on the ground in pain. To my relief, I hit none of them because my ball bounced off the cart path behind them and away from them. Regardless, I quickly took my ball and booked it from there.

I don't think you can describe the sheer horror that you feel when you see your ball flying directly towards a group of people. Scary stuff!

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Originally Posted by Motown88

I figured since there is a "Best Shot of the Week" thread, I'd make one for worst shot (or worst hole).  We all have those bad holes, might as well talk about it and move past it!

I'll get this thread started with a hole I played today

Par 4, 350 yards with a slight dogleg right and a creek 100 yards from the green.  My first tee shot was a terrible slice towards the course boundary.  At the time I thought my ball was still in bounds but decided to hit a provisional just in case.  Good thing too since my golf ball was conveniently a few inches past the fence.  Needless to say I was playing 3 from the fairway. Hit a terrible third shot into a drainage ditch and ended up taking a drop from it.  Long story short, a couple bad shots and 3 putts later and I carded a 10.  Oh and did I mention that my first putt was from only about 10 feet...yea, way to ruin a good round!

Not to make your hole worse, you would have actually been playing *4* from the fairway

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

After an errant tee shot, had 135 to the green, but was in heavy tree trouble. I had 2 options, chip out sideways, or try to hit a punch 8 iron at the green that had to stay underneath 10' high limbs for about 40 yds. Of course I go with the hero shot. It gets too high and ricochet's right into a pine tree. An unplayable, chip sideways, pitch on, and two putts later - I carded a 7. I really hope I can improve my decision making at some point, but I just don't know how to forget those 1 in 5 hero shots that I've gotten lucky on in the past. I can be such a dumbass sometimes.

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

After an errant tee shot, had 135 to the green, but was in heavy tree trouble. I had 2 options, chip out sideways, or try to hit a punch 8 iron at the green that had to stay underneath 10' high limbs for about 40 yds. Of course I go with the hero shot. It gets too high and ricochet's right into a pine tree. An unplayable, chip sideways, pitch on, and two putts later - I carded a 7.

I really hope I can improve my decision making at some point, but I just don't know how to forget those 1 in 5 hero shots that I've gotten lucky on in the past. I can be such a dumbass sometimes.

For what it's worth (from someone that spends a lot of time in the trees).

I always take about two clubs more than whatever I think will work to punch under the limbs. If I think an 8 iron will work I'm probably using a 6.

For what it's worth (from someone that spends a lot of time in the trees). I always take about two clubs more than whatever I think will work to punch under the limbs. If I think an 8 iron will work I'm probably using a 6.

You're giving me strategies and encouragement to go for the hero shot? C'mon man... Hahaha.

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

You're giving me strategies and encouragement to go for the hero shot? C'mon man... Hahaha.

Hero or Zero: Just depends on the match. Against the people I usually play against I can chip out, play it safe and lose to their birdies, or I can go for it and occasionally win.

(Or occasionally go up in flames).

Originally Posted by meenman

Not to make your hole worse, you would have actually been playing *4* from the fairway

Yea...I meant to type lying 3, got a little ahead of myself.  Good eye though!

My worst shot last week was a classic case of going from bad to worse.  I tried to play smart from the tee and flat pulled a 4 iron into some woods.  I hit a provisional that was also yanked, but stayed in play.  Never found the original, so I was playing my 4th shot from a thick lie in the left rough from 175 yards where my only real shot was to keep the ball below some overhanging branches.  I put a 5 iron back in my stance and punched the shot hoping that the lie with the ball above my feet would move the ball back to the left a little.  That never happened and the ball stayed out right.  It caught the cart path and bounced into the rough to the right side of the green.

Of course, the pin was on the right side about 12 feet on, so I was short sided and the ball had a really thick clump of grass behind it which was going to make it so there was no way for clean contact.  Instead of making the right play and hacking it onto the green and taking 2 putts for a triple bogey, I tried to play a soft chip that would hit the fringe and hopefully die within 5 feet so I could make double.

You know none of that happened.  I badly duffed the chip and the ball rolled right back to where it was.  I was pissed so I tried the same shot and hit an equally bad chip that settled into an equally bad lie a little closer to the green.  I then finally hacked it onto the green 27 feet from the hole and proceeded to 3-putt for a beautifully earned 6 over par score of 10 on what I feel is the easiest hole on the entire back nine of that course.

From there, I proceeded to go triple - triple - bogey - par - quadruple - triple on my way to a 56 (+11 net) which knocked me out of any shot on day 2 of the tournament I was playing.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!