IGNORED

Flop shot

Note: This thread is 3897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i tried to add a flop shot around the greens as someone here suggested today and i have a couple of questions for those of you who are proficient at it.

ive seen videos with open stances and normal ones? which is better served? does it depend on the distance you are hitting or is it just different for a flop lob?

also, i was only taking 1/2 back swings to control my power. i was hitting 12-20 foot flops for about an hour up a 4 foot incline and a full swing was taking them too far and yet the half swing would take the ball within inches of the hole sometimes and 1-2 foot short of the green on others. the pin placement was only two foot from the fringe . i see others take full back swings like mickleson for example and it goes 5 foot or so. i was using a sw and not a 60 though

any tips on flops around the green?

+1 I've just last week added the Cleveland cg15 56* & 62* wedges to my bag (oil quench.. They look awesome) for my ability I needed a 60* or more for a short flop hop &stop.; So far so good, but I too would like some tips?

Gaz Lee

A flop shot isn't just a shot plyed with a lob wedge, and it sounds like you aren't hitting flop shots at all.

And....seriously.....do you really think that someone is going to come on here and say they have a better way of doing it than Phil Mickelson.

If you want to do it, you may as well try to do it his way.

Problem is, it's about as high risk a shot as there is. To hit a proper flop shot you have to be mindful of at least two things.

1. Out of thick grass you miss going underneath it and missing it completely.

2. If your swing isn't perfect you risk sculling it 100 yards over the green and into whatever garbage, wet or dry lies there.

No doubt there will be a flurry of 20 handicappers who claim to have "mastered" it, though.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

A flop shot isn't just a shot plyed with a lob wedge, and it sounds like you aren't hitting flop shots at all. And....seriously.....do you really think that someone is going to come on here and say they have a better way of doing it than Phil Mickelson. ;-) If you want to do it, you may as well try to do it his way. Problem is, it's about as high risk a shot as there is. To hit a proper flop shot you have to be mindful of at least two things. 1. Out of thick grass you miss going underneath it and missing it completely. 2. If your swing isn't perfect you risk sculling it 100 yards over the green and into whatever garbage, wet or dry lies there. No doubt there will be a flurry of 20 handicappers who claim to have "mastered" it, though.

what shot was I hitting then? a modified pitch, a lob? I had the face compelety open and flat from a chipping stance. the first few were from five feet and I'd pop it maybe 6 foot high and it would pop drop and stop at five feet or be short of the green after only going three feet. the longer shots were going 8-12 high and dropping. I had issues with power though. to my amazement, I only launched a couple towards the club house on tight grass I figured out having your weight forward drastically helped and on the fluffy grass middle to back for me worked

Soft Pitches

Soft, High Pitches are safer around the greens.

Set up square, feet flared out, ball just inside front foot. Remember, don't use lag (don't use lag), arms are very soft, don't take it back like a full swing - move the clubhead but the grip end doesn't move that much, keep your weight on the front leg and pivot around it, and just drop the clubhead onto the ball, and follow thru high and around you with the grip end on your front pocket and club head straight up in the air. It helps to have a wedge with loads of stated bounce but a leading edge that remains close to the ground.

If you want more loft, get the hands slightly lower and/or move the hands back so they are behind the clubhead at address and the clubhead passes the hands as it contacts the ball (see video).

TST also has a quickie pitching video thread. The above technique will get the ball up like a lob but travel up to 50+ yards. To vary distance, pivot more in the backswing and faster in the downswing but keep those soft arms.

Real Lob Shots are difficult, but the above will serve you best 90% of the time.

When you want more delicate, high shots that don't travel far and float when the handle is back, also try a similar technique as above but no back pivot, and a bunch of front pivot around the front leg, float-loading the downswing to take the "hit" out of the shot. Vary position of hands to affect trajectory.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Actually, theyre one of the riskiest shots in golf.  You should ONLY do it when its your only option and you have a fluffy lie.  A low, running shot is actually a much higher percentage shot.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Actually, theyre one of the riskiest shots in golf.  You should ONLY do it when its your only option and you have a fluffy lie.  A low, running shot is actually a much higher percentage shot.

Completely disagree with you, but that's not unusual because you go around this forum looking for ways to disagree with me. Gheez, talk about stalking. I may need a restraining order.

A high, soft pitch is safer than a big swing, Lob Shot.

I don't think the instructors on this forum would advocate a soft, high pitch if it were "one of the riskiest shots in golf." Actually, one of the videos showing the high, soft pitch was deleted by a moderator - so my post is not able to show what was fully intended

I can see your point if we're talkin' a full swing, wide open lob shot. But I was not. I was discussing a high, soft pitch - square setup with feet and clubface. And if you have a wedge with the right grind, you do not need a "fluffy" lie. It's not much of a swing - Stan Utley uses this shot all the time. A high, soft pitch is not a lob.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Set up square, feet flared out, ball just inside front foot. Remember, don't use lag (don't use lag), arms are very soft, don't take it back like a full swing - move the clubhead but the grip end doesn't move that much, keep your weight on the front leg and pivot around it, and just drop the clubhead onto the ball, and follow thru high and around you with the grip end on your front pocket and club head straight up in the air. It helps to have a wedge with loads of stated bounce but a leading edge that remains close to the ground.

If you want more loft, get the hands slightly lower and/or move the hands back so they are behind the clubhead at address and the clubhead passes the hands as it contacts the ball (see video).

TST also has a quickie pitching video thread. The above technique will get the ball up like a lob but travel up to 50+ yards. To vary distance, pivot more in the backswing and faster in the downswing but keep those soft arms.

Real Lob Shots are difficult, but the above will serve you best 90% of the time.

When you want more delicate, high shots that don't travel far and float when the handle is back, also try a similar technique as above but no back pivot, and a bunch of front pivot around the front leg, float-loading the downswing to take the "hit" out of the shot. Vary position of hands to affect trajectory.

hey thanks for the videos. I did catch the first one before they removed it. yeah im looking for a short  soft vertical shot, so i may have to try the front leg pivit next sunday youre speaking of if i go to the range, idk i may play a round instead. im still wondering what kind of shot i was hitting then -  i was almost setting up like a pitch but came down with an accelerated direct attack swing and a high follow through

Note: This thread is 3897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!