IGNORED

Left handed person that plays right with a right eye dominate

Note: This thread is 3688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys I have a question that i have been thinking about for some time. I am a left handed person but have played sports right handed golf included. I also am right eye dominate, so when my son and I would go shooting I always shot right handed not sure if that matters. It seems i have a lot of issues lining up, putts and irons, just this weekend my son was correcting me even when i felt I was right on target I was off.

My question is how would this affect my swing, alignment or would it?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Howdy,

I too am mostly a lefty but play right handed and am right-eye dominant.  Recently I got to playing with alignment issues with my putting and a tendency to push putts off to the right.  I have found that if I shut my right eye while aligning putts the ball tends to fall in the hole more often, so I have taken up standing directly over the ball and aligning the putter with just the left eye, then finishing my setup (which includes stepping back a small amount) and ignoring what the alignment looks like from this position.  I haven't really tried extending this to full shots, but now that you've got me thinking about it I I may give it a try, I do tend to push my irons, particularly the 8, 9, and PW.

As an aside; I shoot handguns right-handed, no doubt because I got started with an old Colt Woodsman my dad had that featured a thumb rest.  But I shoot rifles and shotguns left-handed.  Not a big deal with the rifles since I tend to close one eye when sighting, but I shoot shotguns with both eyes open.  The right-eye dominance never seemed to bother me though, I was quite competitive in trap once upon a time.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I am lefty who plays righty and left eye dominant Try closing your left eye for alignment since you are right dominant

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys for the help will check it out at the range this week. Intersting to see what will happen, it can only get better.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

I am a natural righty but I am left eye dominant.  I never felt lining up putts was a problem.  I now use a line and feel pretty good about how I line things up.  I may give it a whirl to see if I see the line differently.

Originally Posted by inthecup

I am a natural righty but I am left eye dominant.  I never felt lining up putts was a problem.  I now use a line and feel pretty good about how I line things up.  I may give it a whirl to see if I see the line differently.

I gave up the line on the ball, if that's what you mean by line. I found it distracting and introduced doubt - not good when standing over a putt.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Natural righty, left eye dominant.  I can't putt. It has nothing to do with my eyes.  Hit and pray that is my motto.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by inthecup

If anything, this is better for golf.  If your "leading eye" is dominant, you should have less alignment issues, especially in putting.  I play right handed (natural lefty) but I'm right eye dominant, and was always a crappy putter, until I started using an alignment line on my ball and using a putter with an alignment line too.  Once I had things lined up from behind (I pick an intermediate target on the green about a foot or two in front of the putter), I'd set up to the putt and ignore how it looks from my setup position (it always looks "off").  This helped tremendously.

BTW, I read once that (I think) about 10% of the population is "cross-dominant" (e.g., Left handed & right eye domininat, or right-handed & left eye dominant), but in the major league baseball population, it's more like 30%.  I always assumed that this is proof that having your "lead" eye be your dominant eye is a big advantage.

I've read somewere on eye dominance in golf before, not sure though, its been a while. I am pretty much right eye dominant. I had a hard time with my terrain analysis class in college, trying to get the stereoscopic images to look 3D. My right eye wouldn't allow my left eye to pick up the other image, producing 3D image.

For me, i recently started putting with an open stance, but i keep my body square to my line. This allows me to look down the line more with my right eye, and able to align my body better. My front foot was throwing off my alignment in my putting. I kept standing over the ball thinking, "Im aimed way to far right". so then i would adjust over the ball, and things went to hell. I couldn't focus on my distance so that was off, and i would miss align putts by over 6", it was crazy. Since changing, i've been putting great, and my missed putts are just outside the hole, or just short of the hole dead center.

I never liked the alignment lines on the ball, for one, some greens are not all that smooth, so you put the ball down and the line would move. Also, i would be anal about getting the line perfect, so i would put it down, stand back, re align. It was driving me to OCD.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

been having some back issues and find that my eye alignment is open to the hole and employing a Nicklaus "push stroke" seems to be the easiest for me at the present moment.

Originally Posted by Grins

BTW, I read once that (I think) about 10% of the population is "cross-dominant" (e.g., Left handed & right eye domininat, or right-handed & left eye dominant), but in the major league baseball population, it's more like 30%.  I always assumed that this is proof that having your "lead" eye be your dominant eye is a big advantage.

I guess I'm cross-dominant. I do everything right handed, but I'm strongly left-eye dominant. My father is righty and right-eye dominant. When he played baseball in college, he batted left handed, and first learned to play golf left-handed. He switched to righty back in the 80's, but still putts left handed.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I guess I'm cross-dominant. I do everything right handed, but I'm strongly left-eye dominant. My father is righty and right-eye dominant. When he played baseball in college, he batted left handed, and first learned to play golf left-handed. He switched to righty back in the 80's, but still putts left handed.

As stated, I am as well.  I do really like it for swinging right handed.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

All good suggestions, I seem to be aligning better but at first it sure looked off and no way did I feel it was correct.

Standing behind the ball and picking a point a foot in front has helped along with making part of my pre routine setting the club face to the pin, moving my head correct to line up all has helped.

But it sure looked off at first until I started hitting the greens again.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Left handed, right eye dominant, play golf lefty.  Was told to place the ball closer to my right foot at address to ensure I see the line properly while putting.

Joe Paradiso

• 1 month later...

im also a right eye dominant person who plays left handed. a good place for instruction is ben hogan's 5 fundamentals. a lot of people dont know that hogan actually started playing golf left handed and switched to right handed. this would be one of the main reasons he was fighting a hook early on. at address your dominant eye will try and focus causing your head to turn in. this then makes the target appear to far to the right. then when your head turns on the downswing, your dominant eye will turn and lose focus of the ball (do in part to your nose getting in the way). your body will then try and catch up and usually cause an over the top motion. this would not be the problem if you were left eye dominant because your left eye would still be able to focus and not be blocked by the nose, allowing your head to stay behind the ball. this is also the reason golfers whos front eye is the dominant one usually have longer backswings because they can see the ball longer. if you read hogans book realizing that it is a guy playing from his non dominant side it will make more sense to a player like you (a righty who is playing lefty). also look at instruction from greg norman and jack nicklaus (especially jack's head motion), both natural lefties playing right handed. notice they, along with hogan and phil, advocate ball position off the front heel.

Left Handed, Left eye dominant, and play righty. Had a lot of trouble squaring up the clubface to a truly square position in relation to my stance. Finally took a lesson from the club pro to figure out what my alignment problem was. We figured it out.

I have to be very careful in aligning myself for a shot since my lead eye is dominant. Driving range practice with alignment sticks is helpful. My best success came from selecting an intermediate target a few feet out in front of the ball when standing behind the ball, then algning myself and the clubface using that intended line at address.

With putting, I have two things that help me. I putt left hand low, which is my dominant hand and align the ball with my big toe of my front foot. I also use a mallet style putter that has a lengthy line to use for alignment. I mentally look for the path to the hole including the break and then make sure that my putter alignment corresponds with my intended line. Then I roll the ball into the hole. Hopefully, I've read the line and break properly.  I've been told I am a very good putter.

Like anybody, when I am having trouble hitting the ball where I intend, I go back to the basics and check my alignment first. I usually find the problem there.

In the Bag

Driver - Taylormade R1 Black

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 15* 3-Metal

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 18* 5-Metal

Irons - Ping G15 4i-UW

Wedge - Ping Anser 54* SW

Wedge - Ping Tour-S 60* LW

Putter - Ping Anser 4

Ball - Top Flight D2+ Feel

Rangefinder - Callaway/Nikon LR550

• 3 weeks later...
Playing with the lead arm as the dominant arm or being cross dominant is a major advantage and on reviewing this subject I have found that many tour pros present and past played this way. Am reading book on Moe Norman arguably the best ball striker ever and he was a lefty playing right handed. Nicklaus was cross dominant as he was left eye dominant. I think that the reason for this is that the forward arm must define the radius or arc of the swing. In other words it is the control arm. Control is best done with the dominant arm.

Note: This thread is 3688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!