Sign in to follow this  
doublesuited77

thoughts on new tee times policy

Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 posts / 1648 viewsLast Reply

my home course just started a new policy. wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Singles can no long book tee times in advance, even if there is a group of 3 at a specified time. Instead, single will need to arrive early and "standby" for any available spots.

Not really that of a big deal. although it may piss off some people. Most likely youll be able to get in anyways?

None of the courses I play around here do that. I'm curious what the reasoning is behind that?

That would probably be a big problem for me as I like to play weekday mornings and all my golf buddies can only play on weekends. I book tee times as a single about 80% of the time and let them stick me in a group with a double or threesome if they want to. I don't mind playing with people I don't know, in fact it's usually enjoyable and I've met a lot of nice people this way.

I would get really annoyed if they said "Just show up and wait and we'll fit you in whenever". The whole point of being able to book tee times is so you can plan your time.

Most of the courses in my area have a similar policy, no big deal.

i think it is pretty dumb from the courses' perspective. so if a 3some books a tee time, you are basically guaranteed that there will not be someone in the 4th spot. it puts the course at financial risk.

I should think if you're paying for a membership there that they should be more accommodating to you in regards to tee times, within reason of course.

thats a stupid new policy if you ask me, never have waited more then 5 minmutes to tee off as a single, (and normally go off by myself)......then again I live within a 10miles radius (different directions though) of 5 courses and I play during the week so course traffic is very small if any....

It's a pretty standard policy, really, from what I've seen at most courses.

it is. i understand not allowing a single or twosome to book an empty tee time, but not to let them fill out an existing group is something i haven't seen in 20 years.

my home course just started a new policy. wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Singles can no long book tee times in advance, even if there is a group of 3 at a specified time. Instead, single will need to arrive early and "standby" for any available spots.

I think it's reasonable. Singles have no standing. I play as a single now and again. I'll play with anyone who wants a game. Preferably, I would like to play with someone who wants a little action too!

I love to play as a single but I would never get a tee time by myself. The course won't take your tee time because they risk having to send you out by yourself, which means an entire "group" is taking up a spot on the course with only one greens fee being paid. Not sticking you into another existing twosome or threesome is ridiculous though, that makes no sense.

On a side note, I actually won't play with someone if I go up to play by myself. I don't like to intrude on other people's groups. If two of my friends and I are out there, we're very lax about etiquette. Now all of a sudden I have to pay close attention to every little thing I do because there's some dude with me shooting 120 that I don't even know? I know what that feels like so I don't want to force it upon someone else. I'm not criticizing the single who does this... lack of golfing buddies should never hinder one's ability to play this great game, I'm just saying I don't personally like to do it.

I think it's reasonable. Singles have no standing. I play as a single now and again. I'll play with anyone who wants a game. Preferably, I would like to play with someone who wants a little action too!

put yourself in the shoes of the golf course. Why should you take the risk that you will have an open slot if there are no walk-up singles. Why not guarantee yourself the revenue by letting the single book the time?

put yourself in the shoes of the golf course. Why should you take the risk that you will have an open slot if there are no walk-up singles. Why not guarantee yourself the revenue by letting the single book the time?

Most courses don't have trouble filling the slots, and the risk of selling the time to a single is outweighed if even 1/3 of the spots are eventually taken by foursomes, not to mention the non-fiscal headaches a single can cause.

The golf course is the one that decided upon this policy, after all. I don't have to "Put myself in their shoes" - they're in them now and they're the ones who changed the policy?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Supply & Demand economics.

Around my neck of the woods there are many golf courses all competing for the same business. Course restrictions are limited to having reserved tee times before 11am on the weekends. Otherwise its walk-on heaven. Travel up to the richer Oakland County north of Detroit where there are fewer courses and a larger population, and the restrictions get more numerous.

I probably wouldn't pay to join a course that did this, but all the public ones in my area do this. I've never waited more than 30 minutes, and that was right around Christmastime. The only annoying thing is not knowing your warmup times pre-round; you can't get there an hour before tee-time, hit the range, chip, putt, and then tee off. You can warm up and then get on the wait list, or you can skip warm up. They're both bad options.

But they aren't a huge problem.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!