IGNORED

Par 4 competition. One club and a putter.

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were playing a 9 hole competition with all Par 4's, what club would you use in addition to your putter?

This post inspired by Tin Cup.

Got to say I'd probably go with my 155 yard club, the 7 iron.  It could work out of the sand, for pitches, and tee'd up from the box I'd probably get a little more on the 155.

I would also choose my 7 iron. I feel that it is a very versatile club, as you implied. Also, I can hit my 7 about 200 yards... so the holes wouldn't feel too long for the most part.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

For me, 8I.  Although it's going to be shorter, I like it better for the greenside shots which are going to be a necessity in that format.  But the 7I would probably work too.  No matter what you choose, there are bound to be times when it's exactly the worst club for the shot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

For me, 8I.  Although it's going to be shorter, I like it better for the greenside shots which are going to be a necessity in that format.  But the 7I would probably work too.  No matter what you choose, there are bound to be times when it's exactly the worst club for the shot.

8i might be better as it is my 145 club.  Either way I'm taking 3 to get to the green.  And I use an 8i for pitches a lot of times anyways :P

Would definitely depend on the course, but for the fun of it, I'll say 6 iron. I can hit it a good ways off the tee if I need to, but I can still chip fairly well.

Tyler Martin

I'll jump on the 8i band wagon...I think it would be a lot more beneficial then the 7i.  I'm also used to chipping with the 8i on the edge of greens so it would require less of a learning curve.

6 iron for me.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Is a putter a requirement? I've played in fun tourneys like this using 3 clubs, and putter was never one of them. 2 iron, 7 iron and either SW or PW as the third. If a putter ISN'T mandatory it would be a 2i (driving, putting) and either a 6 or 7 iron.

Originally Posted by TJBam

Originally Posted by RayG

Is a putter a requirement?

If it's truly inspired by Tin Cup, then it's just one club, no putter.

Tyler Martin

8i might be better as it is my 145 club.  Either way I'm taking 3 to get to the green.  And I use an 8i for pitches a lot of times anyways :P

Call me crazy, but I can't see the short game benefits of an 8I outweighing the distance loss on those 360-400 yard par 4s. Even on a pair of well struck 8's, you're still looking at 100 yards out, with no guarantee of being on the green in 3. It just seems to me that you would be setting yourself up for a lot of double bogeys.

Personally, I'd rather try to hit a couple of solid 6 irons near the green somewhere and worry my plan of action from there. Sure, I might have a bit less versality out of certain lies, but I'd be lying 2!

Originally Posted by Big C

Call me crazy, but I can't see the short game benefits of an 8I outweighing the distance loss on those 360-400 yard par 4s. Even on a pair of well struck 8's, you're still looking at 100 yards out, with no guarantee of being on the green in 3. It just seems to me that you would be setting yourself up for a lot of double bogeys.

Personally, I'd rather try to hit a couple of solid 6 irons near the green somewhere and worry my plan of action from there. Sure, I might have a bit less versality out of certain lies, but I'd be lying 2!

On a 400 yard hole, a smart player would hit their first shot as far as possible, let's say in this case 150. They would then try to lay up the second shot to a distance of about 150, then play a full shot in.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Big C

Quote:

First, if I'm playing this format, I'm not playing any back tees, so those 400 yard par 4's are going to a lot fewer.  With a bit of practice, 60-100 yard pitches with an 8I aren't all that difficult.  I went through a period a few years ago where I couldn't hit a full wedge or 9I, so my 8I was my club from 140 in.  I was playing to a firm 10-11 handicap during that period.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I guess it has a lot to do with the course itself.  My choices would fall between the 6,7 or 8...again dependent upon the course, the doglegs, trees and such.  For me, the 6 is more versatile but getting out of greenside bunkers would be an issue with the 6.  I have used 7 in a 3 club event and could get out of the sand with it.  Not knowing the course, a 7iron.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

If you were playing a 9 hole competition with all Par 4's, what club would you use in addition to your putter?

Got to say I'd probably go with my 155 yard club, the 7 iron.  It could work out of the sand, for pitches, and tee'd up from the box I'd probably get a little more on the 155.

Good question, lets see here. depends if i want to hit a lot of greens, or short game it. Because I could take my AW, that would let me hit most par 4's under 400 yards in three shots. I can hit that club very well easy to. So, i probably could shoot a good score that way. Or i could take my 5 irons, and try to hit more greens, maybe hits some punchers that roll up onto the greens, but if i get in a bunker i am screwed.

So i think i would go with an AW, its more versatile. I probably wont get birdies unless i chip in, but i take out the huge number.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Probably a 6 iron. I'd be able to reach longer par 4s in two with a great tee shot. and anything lower, if you come to a 190 yard par 3, or a 560 yard par 5, you might be in trouble with an 8 iron.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

if you come to a 190 yard par 3, or a 560 yard par 5, you might be in trouble with an 8 iron.

Yeah if we open it up to par 3's and 5's, then things change a little.

Originally Posted by saevel25

So i think i would go with an AW, its more versatile. I probably wont get birdies unless i chip in, but i take out the huge number.

That's an interesting take on it, and I hadn't really thought about it that way.

A big part of what I would choose would be what the approaches to the greens are like. If there are forced carries, elevated greens, and a lot of greenside bunkers, then I think a high lofted club is the way to go. If the front of the greens are open for run-ups and I don't have to carry water, then something like a 6 might be better served.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Oh God, I'm dumb lol...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Oh God, I'm dumb lol...

I must hand it to you, Slice. You've got a movie clip for any situation.

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 3894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!