IGNORED

Pre-shot routine helps consistency and confidence

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've recently found that coming up with a pre-shot routine has helped me become more consistent with my shots.  Nothing crazy like Dufner waggling.

I address the ball, step back with my front foot and take a half swing, open to my target, swinging below the ball (but not taking a divot of course) then close back down keeping my grip the same, check target one more time, and swing.  Back foot stays planted in position for the most part.

It's a little nuance but gives me more confidence and seems to reduce pressure.  Has helped tremendously on the range and the course.

Do you have a pre shot routine?  Seen a unique one?

Before hitting my shot, I will take one practice swing. I then step behind my ball to get a better feel for my direction/visualize my shot, step back up to the ball and hit. Pretty basic, but I agree that it helps maintain rhythm.

When I was younger, I had a buddy that would make up little rhymes that he would mutter to himself while he was swinging. He would associate different points in his swing to different words - ie: Reach top of swing as muttering the word "XYZ"

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

I rarely take a practice swing. If I do, it's a slow lazy swing to release any tension. I set the club behind the ball holding it only in my right hand, then take my grip, step into my stance, one check towards the target, then away we go.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Besides the usual picking a target and visualizing the shot stuff it's limited to a few deep breaths while taking a practice swing to make sure everything feels in sync and ensure I'm not seething after a previous bad shot or some other annoyance. After that in my head I say relax, release, go and then I swing. I've found if I do it the same way every time it the consistency leads to fewer mistakes. If I do make a bad swing I can usually feel where the breakdown was easier than if I was just doing something random.

Dave :-)

I try to take two practice swings as my pre-shot routine.  But I either forget or don't use the same tempo as my normal swing.   I definitely play better if I remember to take two practice swings at right tempo.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I never take a practice swing, instead walk behind the tee ball, around 10-12 feet, look at my target, landing area, where I want to miss, visualize my swing......then totally relax my arms, walk up to the ball and hit it.

Total elapse time  around 20 seconds, wish others did the same.

Originally Posted by butt3r3dt0ast

Before hitting my shot, I will take one practice swing. I then step behind my ball to get a better feel for my direction/visualize my shot, step back up to the ball and hit. Pretty basic, but I agree that it helps maintain rhythm.

When I was younger, I had a buddy that would make up little rhymes that he would mutter to himself while he was swinging. He would associate different points in his swing to different words - ie: Reach top of swing as muttering the word "XYZ"

I do the same, take a way is freddy, top of the swing is "pause", hit and follow thru is Couples.

works for me nice even tempo, try it

Originally Posted by TJBam

I've recently found that coming up with a pre-shot routine has helped me become more consistent with my shots.

Do you have a pre shot routine?  Seen a unique one?

I used to make my JV golf team read the chapter about pre-shot routines in Bob Rotella's, "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perferct," just for the reason you stated in your posting.  This, for most of my golfers, had a positive impact on their game.

As for me, starting in the 1980's, I began writing down notes about my pre-shot routine and swing thoughts, and updated them as late as last week. This has helped me to revisit my swing when things are breaking down and usually has helped me to get back on track.

Personally, my swing thought is nothing unusual, but it lets me pick out a target in the distance, and then an intermediate target, followed by checking my swing plane and tempo.  After that, it is anyone's guess where the ball will end up.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

If I'm trying to make swing changes, or if I play in back-to-back scrambles, my pre-shot routine seems to suffer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

im still developing a pre putt routine. One thing I like to do is to copy what some pros do, that is to squat down and hold the putter in such a manner that my thumbs are positioned over the top of the handle like I was holding a broomstick. Read the putt . Then find my spot. Then I allow myself to grip the putter normally with the thumb down the flat portion of the putter as I set up to the ball.

Whatever it is, please make it SHORT! Keegan Bradley makes me want to slap him every time I see him back off a shot. No wonder he needs a long putter if he has a nervous twitch like that.

My routine is pretty methodical. As another poster stated, while I'm standing behind the ball picking out my line and targer area, I take a couple of loose swings to release tension. I step in, check alignment and let it fly. I do find that when I play with strangers and or in competition, I speed up my routine. I get self-conscious about the time it takes and or what the other golfers think about the time I'm taking. The problem is, this usually ends up in a faster tempo and poor swings. Do you just tell yourself to ignore what others may think and play your game?

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

Really the whole point of a pre-shot routine is to make sure that you're in the right frame of mind and prepared for the shot. In my mind, the most important part of the pre-shot routine to learn is when to back off if you're not 100% comfortable and committed to the shot. If you're over the ball about to swing and a bug flies in your face or something distracts you, step away and start over.

Tyler Martin

Most of my routine is done while the other guys are hitting their shots.  (laser, club selection, scoping/visualizing the shot, a few pendulums to get my reach correct).

But absolutely there is a routine.  On my turn (unless we are just playing ready to hit = my preference, I don't mind hitting simultaneously at all.  Though some of the fun is to watch and support each other) all that stuff is done already - then, I just take another soft swing, step back and line up.  Address and pull the trigger. If we are on the tee box and HAVE to take turns, then they just need to wait on the full routine - unless they don't mind the pendulums off to the side.

However, if an obsessive chronic clock watcher wants me to skip my routine.  no problem.  but the round will take longer since I'll be hitting twice as many shots.  (I guarantee that even with my routine, if I could play at my comfy pace, I'll be three holes ahead of him at the end).

Bill - 

My typical routine is to square the clubhead behind the ball, figure where I want the club to be when I swing through. I take a couple of practice swings like chip shots, address the ball and swing... and usually end up well left of my target. I finally went to the driving range and found out I have a huge alignment problem. I'll still be on the range for a while, correcting my pre-shot routine. I get too mechanical... thinking where I want the club head in the shot, on the ball. that is for greenside, bunker stuff and putting. I like what i have read here and find it helpful, I will post new routine when I develop one or just copy the ones from above...

Originally Posted by Robster 7

Whatever it is, please make it SHORT! Keegan Bradley makes me want to slap him every time I see him back off a shot.

Gee, I wasn't the only one who want to slap him every time I see him back off.   Well, he does hit fast once he steps up.

Did anyone mention Kevin Na in this thread?  He was really bad in one tournament I watched.   Too bad that I could not slap him through my TV.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Gee, I wasn't the only one who want to slap him every time I see him back off.   Well, he does hit fast once he steps up.

Did anyone mention Kevin Na in this thread?  He was really bad in one tournament I watched.   Too bad that I could not slap him through my TV.

Keegan is very OCD, seems he even has a post shot routine when he misses that involves taking his hat off and scratching his head.  Commentators were making fun of him on Sunday for it.

Joe Paradiso

I know a guy named Bill whose pre-shot routine is to stand over the ball for a looooong time. Funny thing is that he is a very good golfer.

He does it with both putts and full shots. We used to all make jokes about it but since he could beat us I guess the real joke was on us.

He was on a scramble team one time with an older guy I know and the next day I asked the older guy how they did. He said they won and then he said in his slow drawl "I learned something yesterday from ole Bill". When I asked him what it was he said "I learned that if you stand over a putt long enough it WILL go in the hole".

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!