IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Wardy

I think it's mainly because of the fratboy (correct word? :D!) culture you have over there. In my experience a lot of americans tend to be overly confident with themselves, which tends to make them more outspoken and then you get things like this (when drunk)!

Unfortunately for you guys that's very true. Obviously we are quite a reserved bunch, but everyone over here hates it with a passion. Even on the Skysports commentary, they are constantly complaining about it as well as Butch Harmon to be honest!

Here's the thing though ... so do we.  And before you guys get too far off on your "Americans are a bunch of tools" tangent, also remember the math.

There are over 300 million people in this country and there are 45 PGA tour tournaments in a year.

In the UK, it looks like you guys have 7 tournaments, and 63 million people.

Also, don't forget that this guy is British ...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate to offend most of the Americans on here, but the over exaggerated shouting never happens anywhere but America.

Here we go again!  They are remarkably similar to your football hooligans, don't ya think?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I hate to offend most of the Americans on here, but the over exaggerated shouting never happens anywhere but America.

It's permissible to be loud and obnoxious when you're living in the greatest country in the world, friend.

I'm not trying to say "we're better than u". I'm just pointing out what the opinion of it all is over here.

And I'm trying to make you realize that it is a misinformed opinion.  There are a few idiots everywhere.

It would be like people who have the opinion that Russians are all horrible drivers simply because 99% of the videos you find nowadays of people doing dumb s**t on the road happens in Russia.  But it doesn't only happen in Russia, and it's not even necessarily most frequent in Russia, it's simply on video more in Russia because they all have dash cams.

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Tiger is already lining up his excuses.

SUNDAY, LYTHAM 2012 OPEN: "Again, I left a lot of putts short out there. The greens were a little bit slow and I tried to put some more hit in my stroke, but putts were dying off the front of the lip.

SUNDAY, KIAWAH, 2012 US PGA: "I just couldn't believe how slow these greens were ... They're slower than the (practice) putting green ... struggled getting the balls to the hole."

SUNDAY, AUGUSTA NATIONAL, 2013 US MASTERS: "I just thought the greens were so slow. Yesterday they were so quick and dried out and today they were so much slower. From the first eight holes I think I left every putt short. I had a hard time getting the speed and being committed to hitting the putts that hard."

SUNDAY, MERION, 2013 US OPEN: "I struggled with the speed all week. These greens are grainy. It's one of the older bent grasses, creeping bent. So it's a little bit grainy. I struggled with the speed, especially right

And that doesn't even include his recent remarks at Muirfield.

I'd like to see Tiger in the thick of the PGA Championship come Sunday afternoon, it is good for the game....hell I'd like to see him make a charge from 2 or 3 strokes back after Saturday, because that would be exciting.....guess we'll just have to wait & see what plays out at Oak Hill.

Tiger will not like the re-do at Valhalla. Creeping bent grass greens.

It could also be how the programs are mic'd on the PGA versus European tour and the size of the crowds.  I hear a lot less ambient sound when watch the Euro-tour.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Golfingdad, if your opinion is correct (and I believe it is) that there are a few idiots spoiling it for everyone else, why do you think the Tour/PGA/USGA allow these people to get away with this nonsense? Why don't they eject these cretins for their poor sportsmanship/behavior? It really is appalling, so why not just get rid of them?

Found on FB: Yup, Lindsey Vonn has Dufnered with the Duf. Check out the best Dufnering pics here: http://bit.ly/13QnSt0

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I haven't read this thread since Friday morning since I've been out of town.  So, if it's already been discussed, great.  However, I have to say that Furyk is about the slowest player on the greens in the history of the PGA Tour.  He's worse than Keegan or Crane or anybody else.

I even remember watching a major tournament replay from 10+ years ago (maybe Merion or some other locale), where he was in contention and he took like 3-4 minutes to attempt a 6-10 foot putt on like the 16th hole.  When I say 3-4 minutes, I mean AFTER he addressed the putt.  He backed off of it several times and went through his routine over and over after re-lining it up a few times.  I hope he never wins anything ever again.

Anyway, congrats to Dufner.  after Friday's round I was hoping he won, and I predicted he would win after Saturday's round.  Thankfully, he was the only guy in the top 5 I could have rooted for after Saturday, and he pulled it out!  I remember last year defending his personality against all of the "boring" attacks by suggesting he probably has the right make-up to win big-time events, and I think Sunday was an illustration of that.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I wonder if it affects the players. It would probably get in my head if I knew there was a "BABABOOOYA" or "MASHED POTATOES" coming at impact.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

I wonder if it affects the players. It would probably get in my head if I knew there was a "BABABOOOYA" or "MASHED POTATOES" coming at impact.

That's kind of what Feherty was alluding to on Sunday when Furyk turned and looked behind him immediately after his drive on like the 16th or 15th hole.  The yell was clearly after impact based on the broadcast audio, but they suggested that maybe guys are now anticipating it and having it cause issues.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That's kind of what Feherty was alluding to on Sunday when Furyk turned and looked behind him immediately after his drive on like the 16th or 15th hole.  The yell was clearly after impact based on the broadcast audio, but they suggested that maybe guys are now anticipating it and having it cause issues.

"Spectator yips"

or

Idiot-whipped

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Unfortunately for you guys that's very true. Obviously we are quite a reserved bunch, but everyone over here hates it with a passion. Even on the Skysports commentary, they are constantly complaining about it as well as Butch Harmon to be honest!

Quite possibly the UK golf fans are more reserved, but I think you are just very fortunate that your football (soccer) fandom has not spilled over onto the golf course. They might give the American crowd a run for their money.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't on the last page when I replied, and didn't mean to pile on to a statement that was already made.

Good thing you Euros are so polite and civil at all of your main sporting events.  I'm sure no fan of soccer would ever stoop to something so low and juvenile as a loud silly chanted song or taunt or a punch or kick at a fan of a rival team, or think that something really stupid sounding is amazingly clever, like a 97 second-long monosyllabic

"GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!"

Incidentally, have you noticed the attendance at a typical European Tour event?  The term "sparse" is euphemistic as to the average, run-of-the-mill Euro golf event.  Even at your one major, it's still pretty fairweather attendance.  I think I saw, literally, three to four times more fans at the PGA Championship Tuesday practice round I attended back in 2004 than at the first two rounds of the British Open this year.  And if we digress for a moment to discuss other sports, I've watched a few semi-finals and even finals doubles tennis matches at European WTA and ATP tournaments this year on the Tennis Channel where there was a seat occupancy rate of under 5 percent - literally, there were maybe 15-20 fans, tops in the entire stadium court stands for major matches involving top-ranked players.

There are positive and negative things one could say about sports and sports fans anywhere in the world.  Don't get all hoighty-toighty on us about how sophisticated your fans are compared to ours.  There are more than enough dolts and idiots born in every country.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Americans are loud and dumbwitted. Europeans are educated and sophisticated. Discuss.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Americans are loud and dumbwitted. Europeans are educated and sophisticated.

Discuss.

Probably true. At the same time, Americans have more fun.

Discuss.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!