IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

it's quiet here - what happened to Tiger on the last hole - penalties? or just a couple bad shots? there's a guy from Japan at -4 after 5 holes........... Rory just started too - strong birdie. I can't follow it from work here....ack

Average tee shot left him with a bad angle to the green from a below avg lie. Had to hit a significant cut from about 167. Approach was too straight and too short and ended in left rough, short of the green side bunker in a horrendous lie. Chopped it out of there and into the bunker, somehow staying up against the lip. Next shot to about 12 feet and missed the putt. Adam Scott with 5 straight birdies!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Oak Hill is usually a tough course.....but these guys are shredding it. Too easy a setup. Rough is not nearly as penal as it was at Merion or Muirfield, even though it has its spots here and there. Greens are not very fast. And now the rain is just going to make it easier. Would not be surprised if Adam Scott takes advantage of the easy 13th and 14th and flirt with a 62.

Originally Posted by ChrisP

Oak Hill is usually a tough course.....but these guys are shredding it. Too easy a setup. Rough is not nearly as penal as it was at Merion or Muirfield, even though it has its spots here and there. Greens are not very fast. And now the rain is just going to make it easier.

It's so great to have such expert commentary and analysis from someone who has watched half of the first round on TV.

Why don't you present these sage observations to the PGA. I'm sure they'll take note and make the necessary adjustments before the course is "shredded" and humiliated even more.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The rough is thick and dense. I walked the entire course yesterday (8 miles nearly). I have no subjective evidence base to draw from in terms of course set up for majors other than AAA in 2011, and Oak Hill blows that course away in terms of character, charm, and set up IMHO. Source: FWIW, my guess is the course will self correct. Single digits under par takes it.

Originally Posted by Shorty

It's so great to have such expert commentary and analysis from someone who has watched half of the first round on TV.

Why don't you present these sage observations to the PGA. I'm sure they'll take note and make the necessary adjustments before the course is "shredded" and humiliated even more.

Geez man. No need to be rude. I'm just saying....I would like to see a little more of a challenge for a major instead of 35 guys breaking par. That's my opinion. No need to act like an ass.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ChrisP

Geez man. No need to be rude. I'm just saying....I would like to see a little more of a challenge for a major instead of 35 guys breaking par. That's my opinion. No need to act like an ass.

a) It was one day. What was the lead at the British Open after the first round and where'd the winner and second place end up?

b) The Masters was said to be far less interesting when players were playing for pars a few years ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

a) It was one day. What was the lead at the British Open after the first round and where'd the winner and second place end up?

b) The Masters was said to be far less interesting when players were playing for pars a few years ago.

True....It could very well toughen up and I hope it does. I thought Furyk summed it up best, though, when he said he was surprised at how slow the greens were and how shots were sticking. Oak Hill is not known for that....it's known for guys grinding to make par. I just like seeing the tough courses play tough, that's all. It's like watching an Open at Oakmont. You want to see the fast greens there and the guys struggle...you're disappointed if it's slow.

I don't think that the course is playing too easy.  I mean only 35 out off 155 players are sub par. I tis not like the course is being torn up like Tiger did last week.

The weapons of course descruction:

Driver:  :callaway:  RAZR 9.5 STIFF

3W     : :callaway:  RAZR STIFF

3H      : :callaway:  X HOT  STIFF

4-SW  :  CI11

GW     ::cleve: 588  50/8

P         : :odyssey:  White Hot Pro

Ball     : :callaway:  HEX BLACK TOUR

Phil hasn't hit a driver in months but still won. Why can't Tiger?

Because Phil's driver is basically a 2-wood. And Phil won't win this tournament either. He got away with it at the Open because you can hit an iron 300 yards down those fairways.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does Tiger expect to win this tournament when he only hits his driver once all day? He must be dreaming.

In all honesty, it was a solid round going for 17 holes; that mess he made at 9 ruined a lot of good work he did earlier in the day. He's six shots back, and I don't think the lead is coming back to par this weekend. That double bogey took a defensive game plan off the table for Tiger; the winning score is going to be in the 271-275 range, and he has to go big if he wants to play any role in deciding this championship.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

It's all down to really who can put 4 days of good play together. Could Jason Day have a chance?

Because Phil's driver is basically a 2-wood. And Phil won't win this tournament either. He got away with it at the Open because you can hit an iron 300 yards down those fairways.

Make no mistake, that "3-wood" is really a 90s-era driver in disguise. [quote name="PerthLefty" url="/t/68920/2013-pga-championship-at-oak-hill-discussion-thread/120#post_880099"]It's all down to really who can put 4 days of good play together. Could Jason Day have a chance? [/quote] Well, that 67 is as good of a start as any. I hope he'll be there on Sunday…I picked him in the predictions contest!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The Aussie are having a good show again. 3 in the top ten. Not to bad from the boys down under.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

In all honesty, it was a solid round going for 17 holes; that mess he made at 9 ruined a lot of good work he did earlier in the day. He's six shots back, and I don't think the lead is coming back to par this weekend. That double bogey took a defensive game plan off the table for Tiger; the winning score is going to be in the 271-275 range, and he has to go big if he wants to play any role in deciding this championship.

Tiger shoots anything under par tomorrow and he is just fine......not convinced the lead will lower than -5 at end of day tomorrow.....but i've been wrong so many times before

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!