IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just heard that Woody Austin had 15 clubs in his bag.  Cost him the max of 4 penalty strokes!  Finished 4 over today.  Would have been even today and 1 under after the two rounds otherwise.  Now struggling to make the cut.

That'll get a caddie fired.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Just heard that Woody Austin had 15 clubs in his bag.  Cost him the max of 4 penalty strokes!  Finished 4 over today.  Would have been even today and 1 under after the two rounds otherwise.  Now struggling to make the cut.

Didn't that happen to Ian Woosnam at the British in 2001? I thought he was only penalized two strokes, though?

Originally Posted by David in FL

Yup - reminds me of Ian Woosnam 2001 British Open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV-csdgRv0

Originally Posted by iacas

The featured group is playing fairly well. Scott could easily be -4 on the day. Phil's not playing particularly well but is getting a good bit out of his round. Rose is also shaky but getting a good bit out of his round.

Tiger's moved up 14 spots or so waiting to play, but if he wants to win, he likely needs to finish the day under par for the tournament. 67 or 68 will leave him in a good position going into Saturday. Odds of it happening? 1 in 3.

Wind picking up isn't going to help. If he can get in at -2 (which would be a 67), he's got a fighting chance this weekend. Watch out for Henrik Stenson today. Have a feeling he's going to put himself right up there in contention like he's been doing pretty much every single week this summer.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ChrisP

Didn't that happen to Ian Woosnam at the British in 2001? I thought he was only penalized two strokes, though?

He discovered it on the first hole. Woody didn't discover it until later in the round.

Also, Woody's only through 11 holes today. He hasn't "finished" at anything yet today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also, Woody's only through 11 holes today. He hasn't "finished" at anything yet today.

Yep, I misread the scorecard I was looking at.

He's been playing pretty well.  Would like to see him get some of it back.

In David's bag....

The featured group is playing fairly well. Scott could easily be -4 on the day. Phil's not playing particularly well but is getting a good bit out of his round. Rose is also shaky but getting a good bit out of his round.

Tiger's moved up 14 spots or so waiting to play, but if he wants to win, he likely needs to finish the day under par for the tournament. 67 or 68 will leave him in a good position going into Saturday. Odds of it happening? 1 in 3.

This is just a guess, but do you guys think Tiger has trouble adjusting to green speeds, at least this year?

Seems like he has commented on those a lot. Last week they were slow, but he knew it and killed it putting. This week they are supposed to be slower than expected, but I wonder if the change is what's throwing him off, rather than simple the speed. If they had been this slow all week, he might have putted better.

Will be interesting to see how he adjusts today.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Lash

This is just a guess, but do you guys think Tiger has trouble adjusting to green speeds, at least this year?

No. It's often a convenient excuse for him though.

And the greens are not slow at Oak Hill. I don't know why that seems to be the thought from some people, but they're not. And his putting was fine yesterday.

Also, Webb needs a birdie in three holes with none over par to break the scoring record in majors.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd be surprised if Tiger doesn't bring it back today.....

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by Lash

Seems like he has commented on those a lot. Last week they were slow, but he knew it and killed it putting. This week they are supposed to be slower than expected, but I wonder if the change is what's throwing him off, rather than simple the speed. If they had been this slow all week, he might have putted better.

Will be interesting to see how he adjusts today.

I think he doesn't give himself enough good scoring opportunities with his play from tee to green, and that he expects too much from his putter. It's too much to expect 25-footers to roll in with regularity, or to make every putt within ten feet of the hole. Tiger's only human, and he putts like one now (still a very good human, mind you).

Also, Webb needs a birdie in three holes with none over par to break the scoring record in majors.

And Webb promptly makes a bogey. No 62 today.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

A 62 is out there if a player gets hot. Greens are as receptive as ever.

BTW, did anyone hear about Angel Cabrera? Apparently he was playing so bad he told officials he no longer wants to keep score but still keep playing. Threw out his scorecard lol. Never heard of anyone doing that. I wonder if he gets mulligans?

No. It's often a convenient excuse for him though.

And the greens are not slow at Oak Hill. I don't know why that seems to be the thought from some people, but they're not. And his putting was fine yesterday.

Also, Webb needs a birdie in three holes with none over par to break the scoring record in majors.

I didn't say they were slow, I said slower than expected. That's been what every announcer and interviewee that I have heard has said about it. He commented on how he was aggressive putting last week since he knew it wouldn't roll far past, but maybe he wasn't expecting that as much this week.

His was putting was fine, but not like it was last week. Of course it's not going to be like it was last week every week, but still it sees like that could affect him some.

Originally Posted by colin007

I'm calling a 66 for my buddy Tigs today.

God, I hope not!

Wouldn't be surprised though.......!

In David's bag....

More swing videos

http://thesandtrap.com/t/69022/2013-pga-championship-sand-trap-coverage-photos-and-swing-videos#post_879997

Woody Austin discovered he had 15 clubs in the bag on the third hole and was assessed a four-stroke penalty under Rule 4-4.

Originally Posted by ChrisP

BTW, did anyone hear about Angel Cabrera? Apparently he was playing so bad he told officials he no longer wants to keep score but still keep playing. Threw out his scorecard lol. Never heard of anyone doing that. I wonder if he gets mulligans?

Received an email from a media person that Angel withdrew due to left wrist injury

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!