golfingnooob

Has anyone ever made a cheap vs expensive clubs comparison test?

It all depends on the skill of the mushy human holding the club to be honest. I know far too many weekend and occasional golfers who drop £300+ on brand irons and £200+ drivers and i rock up with my £45 Hippo Beasts and £30 Ping G5 and i beat them (and im a crap golfer :-D).

If you play a lot of golf then you'll benefit from investing in the more expensive clubs and fitting. Rec golfers can do fine with better priced clubs and pre loved clubs.

just a quick note to @The Club Nut, fitting is great for many people but not essential. My Uncle is 70 yrs young, played since he was 10 and was a top amateur in the 60's and 70's (decided not to go Pro as he wanted a family) and he had his first ever custom fit for Ping's last year. His feedback? "Lovely clubs, hit them just as well as my Dunlop back-up clubs", typical Yorkhireman!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Actually, yes it could!

I've never come close to breaking 100, so my expectations at this point are pretty tamed to say the least, but no harm in trying something new, I suppose. :-)

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

Great clubs. $170 is cheap. I love mine.

Just don't get frustrated with lower trajectories at first. This club with an S300 shaft has a notoriously low trajectory until you get your swing speed up. That said, they're really good clubs, and I think you'll enjoy them as well.

Very good to know for these clubs, I appreciate the advice! Heading out next Saturday to try them out on the course after they arrive next week. Granted, I probably should take them to the range first to get a feel for them, just not sure if I'll have time to do so. Trial and error, if anything, ha. 

Edited by pmack18

17 hours ago, pmack18 said:

At the moment, I found and am leaning towards a Mizuno MP52, used in Very Good Condition, 4-PW Iron set, which will total roughly $170, so not too shabby at all. 

Of course it is a stiff flex, but that can always be adjusted to, and might even help my game out a little bit, can't make it any worse, that's for sure! Ha 

I definitely advise going used. You're going to get a much better value out of used Mizunos than a boxed set.

On 8/6/2013 at 3:23 AM, David in FL said:

Note that cheap vs expensive has absolutely nothing to do with forged vs cast though.  There are lots of expensive irons out there that happen to be manufactured by the investment casting process.

Very true. As an anecdotal bit to this thread, I have a set of cheap MacGregor cast irons that probably cost 250, tops. Probably even came with a bag. I can outhit or equal all of my other expensive forged and perimeter weighted and cavity back clubs(some are forged) with these irons. I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't have wasted money on  other clubs. Especially those Cobras. Meh

I have. And I've really only noticed a huge difference with the woods. Ive hit what some consider cheap players irons (wilson staff i think) and didn't really notice a huge difference in feel and flights from the AP2's i normally use. 

Something I considered for my first set was resale value. I wasn't sure if I was going to survive that first summer.. So I bought used, name brand clubs. At the end of the summer, I sold them for close to what I paid, and was able to roll that money into a fitting and another used (albeit much newer) set. 

I had an instructor who told me the "weight" on an expensive club was much better than on a cheaper club (as he was swinging a 4-iron around w/ one arm). But then he went on to say Phil Mickleson could "beat everyone here with clubs from the Goodwill".