IGNORED

Bunkers vs. Water Hazards

MEfree
Note:Β This thread is 3906 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by MEfree

Why are bunkers more penal than water hazards?

Ahhhh, huh?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh God. I'm gonna hate myself for asking, but penal in what way? Personally, I find it much easier to play out most bunkers than from most water hazards, but maybe that's just me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Gonna need to know what your definition of penal is. I see where this thread is headed, so I'm hoping we can get this question answered and move on.

Tyler Martin

The relationship of swing path and acceleration with aquatic versus granular materials is affetyed negatively despite the axpectation that causal effect will influence ball flight and spike marks.

In other words, WTF is your question?

Also, bunkers aren't more penal than water hazards.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

I refrain from posting my initial response and just second Cipher's.

Originally Posted by cipher

Ahhhh, huh?

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I'll second this one as well.

Originally Posted by Shorty

The relationship of swing path and acceleration with aquatic versus granular materials is affetyed negatively despite the axpectation that causal effect will influence ball flight and spike marks.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Because they're not.

"Age improves with wine."
Β 
Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

lol, penal...

Ryan M
Β 
The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)
Β 
IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

HAHA

how about this,

Though it is known that water hazards are given a +1 to stroke, for those who suffer from inadequate technique to overcome the adverse conditions of granular materials, bunkers can in fact carry a penalty equal to the number of strokes it takes before the golfer storms off the course or breaks his wedge.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

But what if the golfer's name was, "Aquaman"?

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

though of course this has to be re-examined if the person has tin-cup-itus, in which case the stroke penalty for water is now equal to the number of golf balls the person has in there bag, or until they sink the ball into the hole.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I realize that most bunkers are easier to play out of than most water hazards and that many course designers intend that landing in a bunker hurts your score less than landing in a water hazard which is why I posted this in the rules section of the forum- From a rules perspective, why are you given more options if your ball comes to rest in a water hazard than in a bunker ?

Water Hazard Options-

1. Β Play the ball as it lies, but not ground your club

2. Β Stroke and distance under 27-1

3. Β Drop OUTSIDE (behind) the hazard with a stroke penalty under 26-1a

4. Β For Lateral WH, drop 2 club lengths OUTSIDE the point the ball entered the hazard or opposite margin of the hazard under 26-1b

Sand Hazard (Bunker) Options-

1. Β Play the ball as it lies, but not ground your club

2. Β Stroke and distance under 27-1

3. Β Drop INSIDE the hazard with a stroke penalty under 28b OR 28c

Looking at the way some of the pros took multiple shots to get out of a bunker or played bunker shots going backwards or sideways into long grass at the Open Championship, it sure seemed to me that they would have been better off had the bunker been considered a Water Hazard, thus giving them the option of taking a penalty stroke and dropping outside the hazard (without having to go back to where they played their original shot).

Also, what happens if you are virtually certain that your ball is lost in a bunker, but can't find it? Β I know that if you are virtually certain it is lost in a WH, that you can assume it is lost in the hazard and take a drop outside the hazard without going back to where you played the original shot from. Β Pretty sure you don't have this option with a bunker.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 iΒ 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey:Β 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I'm going to regret this, I know. (Judge Lewis imposed the sentence.) There are several more relief options in a bunker. A player has relief options from abnormal ground conditions and immovable obstructions if his ball lies in a bunker. These are not available in a water hazard. So, see, a player has more relief options for a ball in a bunker than he does for a ball in a water hazard.

"Age improves with wine."
Β 
Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator

They aren't, and I don't appreciate your attempts at sensationalism by burying the lede.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I realize that most bunkers are easier to play out of than most water hazards and that many course designers intend that landing in a bunker hurts your score less than landing in a water hazard which is why I posted this in the rules section of the forum- From a rules perspective, why are you given more options if your ball comes to rest in a water hazard than in a bunker ? Water Hazard Options- 1. Β Play the ball as it lies, but not ground your club 2. Β Stroke and distance under 27-1 3. Β Drop OUTSIDE (behind) the hazard with a stroke penalty under 26-1a 4. Β For Lateral WH, drop 2 club lengths OUTSIDE the point the ball entered the hazard or opposite margin of the hazard under 26-1b Sand Hazard (Bunker) Options- 1. Β Play the ball as it lies, but not ground your club 2. Β Stroke and distance under 27-1 3. Β Drop INSIDE the hazard with a stroke penalty under 28b OR 28c Looking at the way some of the pros took multiple shots to get out of a bunker or played bunker shots going backwards or sideways into long grass at the Open Championship, it sure seemed to me that they would have been better off had the bunker been considered a Water Hazard, thus giving them the option of taking a penalty stroke and dropping outside the hazard (without having to go back to where they played their original shot). Also, what happens if you are virtually certain that your ball is lost in a bunker, but can't find it? Β I know that if you are virtually certain it is lost in a WH, that you can assume it is lost in the hazard and take a drop outside the hazard without going back to where you played the original shot from. Β Pretty sure you don't have this option with a bunker.

Maybe you're given more options having hit into a water hazard BECAUSE IT'S MORE FREAKING PENAL to be in the hazard in the first place...... :-\ Ahem..... Sorry all.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
I"m not even touching this thread. z7_no.gif

Just did sucker!

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 3906 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!