IGNORED

Training Aids

Note: This thread is 3351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok golfers...there are a lot...A LOT...of golf training aids out there, right?  Everything to help with the basic swing to the putt.  If you've used a training aid that has helped you, let's hear about it.  What would you recommend?  I'd start but while I've looked at different training aids I've yet to give any a try.

Video Camera.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll second the video camera. If used properly, it's probably the greatest training aid outside of an instructor. I always practice with alignment sticks. I'm of the school of thought that a well executed swing with a poor setup is the same as a poorly executed swing. The alignment stick can also be used for a multitude of drills.

Tyler Martin

I didn't event think to consider alignment sticks, but I do use those in my practice sessions.  Video camera is an excellent idea...but I'm afraid of what I might see.  Might not be pretty.  :-)

+1 on the camera. Last week my pro loaned me a Swingyde in an attempt to cure me of drastically closing the club face at the start of the take-away. I've seen them around for what seems like years, but never thought I needed one. However, a week on and I'm a sworn convert - it's worked wonders for me :-D TF

I've been looking at the tour striker.   Anybody have any opinion or a review on it?

I have a Medicus 7 iron that works well when I remember to use it.  I have alignment rods (from Lowe's), and swimmer's noodles that I stick over the alignment rods to help remember to swing from the inside.  I have the Orange Whip which is great for tempo....damn, starting to sound like a used golf store.

I second the video camera.   Whenever I have a lesson, it is the most useful teaching aide.   Check out Michael Breed's book , "The Picture-Perfect Golf Swing".   It goes into depth about using a video camera setup and use.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I bought the SkyPro and think it's been a great help at seeing and understanding my swing beyond video.

I plan to do a full review once they get their online access working so I have the ability to upload swings from my iPhone.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know that I'd flatly agree with the video camera suggestion without qualification.  I think it only helps if you actually know what you are looking for.  The ONLY reason why a video camera works for me is because I have quality instructors looking at that video and telling me what I need to change.

Now it becomes a fantastic training aid because you can check progress along with them.

The only "other" training aid I use - besides the alignment sticks and the video camera - currently, is a pipoe.  (A small blue ball that can be used for many things, but I use it like this):

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't know that I'd flatly agree with the video camera suggestion without qualification.  I think it only helps if you actually know what you are looking for.  The ONLY reason why a video camera works for me is because I have quality instructors looking at that video and telling me what I need to change.

Now it becomes a fantastic training aid because you can check progress along with them.

The only "other" training aid I use - besides the alignment sticks and the video camera - currently, is a pipoe.  (A small blue ball that can be used for many things, but I use it like this):

I agree, video is great when you have guys like Erik, Mike and other 5SK members reviewing it.  I've found the SkyPro helps in that sense because along with seeing your video, SkyPro allows you to see your swing in 3D with complete measurements at almost every critical point of the swing.  It also has a "Groove mode" so that once you identify a problem within your swing you can work on correcting it with immediate feedback.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree, video is great when you have guys like Erik, Mike and other 5SK members reviewing it.  I've found the SkyPro helps in that sense because along with seeing your video, SkyPro allows you to see your swing in 3D with complete measurements at almost every critical point of the swing.  It also has a "Groove mode" so that once you identify a problem within your swing you can work on correcting it with immediate feedback.

Well, he's posting on this site, so he has access to the same kind of free swing video advice as the rest of us.

Plus, anyone can see obvious swing flaws. Too much head movement, overswinging...etc.,

Ryan M

Well, he's posting on this site, so he has access to the same kind of free swing video advice as the rest of us.  Plus, anyone can see obvious swing flaws. Too much head movement, overswinging...etc.,

I see a video (from GolfingDad) of Charles Howe 3 making a pretty good swing. Am I missing the video you are referring?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I see a video (from GolfingDad) of Charles Howe 3 making a pretty good swing. Am I missing the video you are referring?

He's not referring to any video. He's making a good point rebutting my comment about a video camera not necessarily being a good training aid. If op made a video, he has access to this site and a lot of free and (potentially) good advice. Also, anybody with a basic knowledge of the golf swing can see obvious things on video that he may not notice otherwise. That's all he's saying. :)

He's not referring to any video. He's making a good point rebutting my comment about a video camera not necessarily being a good training aid. If op made a video, he has access to this site and a lot of free and (potentially) good advice. Also, anybody with a basic knowledge of the golf swing can see obvious things on video that he may not notice otherwise. That's all he's saying. :)

I see.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks for the interpretation. Spot on. Haha.

Exactly right about the "may not notice otherwise" part. I was just outright confused when I first started watching video of my swing, and how a "feel" does not translate to what you're actually doing in any way whatsoever...

Ryan M

Outside of an instructor, i think the best training aid is alignment rods / sticks. Multiple drills can be performed and they are cheap.

I love you Nicole Aniston

I will say the training aids I've used and gotten the most help from are as follows.

1. Camera - feel is most certainly not real

2. Impact bag - you definitely know when you're in the correct impact position and it helps to do swings in front of a mirror

3. Alignment rods - you need to make sure your setup is correct if you want a consistent swing and it helps to see what direction your divots are going

4. SKLZ Gold Flex - you can tell if you're swinging all arms and in the correct sequence, also it's a good workout for your "golf muscles"

5. Swingyde ($10 knock-off) - i used to have a very cupped wrist at the top and this helped fix that after about a week or so of using it

Golf is hard.

I like the

Vision Track

Impact Ball (ball held between elbows - same one as CHIII) or Pipoe Ball

Video Camera and Tripod

I use the first two extensively, and I've used too many aids over the years that have collected dust. I also liked the Swing Hat (it buzzed if you did not keep your head still), but it went out of business.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I will add the Bender Stick as very useful. It is, however, attention getting at the range.

But if you have a problem head that moves, it does help - I had a problem with head movement on the downswing. I set up with Bender at the range, take practice swings so the head stays attached to the foam ball at the end of the stick. And then I move away from the stick and go to the hitting area, and hit a ball. Then I begin the process again.

The Bender stick has several uses, but that's the one I'm working on now. It helps relieve thin hits and pulling away from the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!