IGNORED

Johnny Manziel shoots "79 at Pebble"?

bplewis24
Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'd like to keep this discussion mostly about Johnny Manziel's alleged golf game, and not his on/off field troubles/controversies.

Anyway, I was waiting in the lobby of my physical therapist's office, and came across this (last sentence of the left block of text):

Some of you may have already noted that I am a cynical, skeptical person, especially when it comes to celebrities and their (vanity) handicaps.  Does anybody know anything about Manziel's golf game and interest in general?  Is he an avid golfer?  I'm inclined, prima facie, to completely dismiss this score as either pure bull****, or played as a "variant of golf."   What do you guys think?

Never heard of him.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by theworldengine

Lol. Your swing is a decent swing, his swing is very dynamic and looks like he produces some very impressive shots.

Ok. I saw him hit four shots in the video...

1.) Iron shot DTL... It looked like he hit it thin.  And faked his finish.

2.) Putt from 5' off the green that he left approximately 4' short.

3.) A drive where he had early extension ( ).  Some would call that Goat Humping.

4.) And finally he sunk a 5' 'birdie' putt.

I guess you are easy to please?

Ok. I saw him hit four shots in the video... 1.) Iron shot DTL... It looked like he hit it thin.  And faked his finish. 2.) Putt from 5' off the green that he left approximately 4' short. 3.) A drive where he had early extension ( g2_eek.gif ).  Some would call that Goat Humping. 4.) And finally he sunk a 5' 'birdie' putt. I guess you are easy to please?

You know how they say some guys like Ernie and Stricker have easy power? Manziel looks the complete opposite. He's lashing at the ball with that iron swing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Lol. Your swing is a decent swing, his swing is very dynamic and looks like he produces some very impressive shots.

You could tell that by some off-angle clips?  The swing looks competent for sure, but I don't know that we can take a lot away from it.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Don't see the big deal about this.

It's entirely possible, likely even, that a born athlete can shoot 79 at Pebble.

Yeah, this I would strongly disagree with.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'd say he has a decent swing.  I wouldn't call it 'extremely' good by any means... As his right leg/foot needs a lot of work from A5++.

3.) A drive where he had early extension ().  Some would call that Goat Humping.

When the only real question is "Could a guy with that swing shoot 79 at Pebble Beach?" ... then, yeah, I guess they(we) are easy to please.  You can get technical and break out all of your fancy schmancy TGM terms to analyze his swing in depth, but that isn't really necessary.  There is more than enough info in that short video to tell me that the idea that he could shoot a legitimate 79 at Pebble Beach (come on, it's not that hard of a course!) 100% plausible.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

When the only real question is "Could a guy with that swing shoot 79 at Pebble Beach?" ... then, yeah, I guess they(we) are easy to please.  You can get technical and break out all of your fancy schmancy TGM terms to analyze his swing in depth, but that isn't really necessary.  There is more than enough info in that short video to tell me that the idea that he could shoot a legitimate 79 at Pebble Beach (come on, it's not that hard of a course!) 100% plausible.

Agree with this (which I alluded to with the 'competent' part of my above post).  But it sounds like those clips have some people pegging him at averaging 310 with the driver, and whatever "dynamic" translates to.  I took that to mean that Beach's "decent" 6-handicap swing would mean Johnny Manziel's "dynamic" swing would translate to a much lower handicap.

3.) A drive where he had early extension ().  Some would call that Goat Humping.

A bit upright with his turn and not enough turn - causing some of those issues.

But impressive for a guy who probably doesn't play much for long periods of time during the year (assumption).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Definitely.  I'm not arguing the point that he shot a 79 at Pebble.  My response was to the user who said he had an 'Extremely' good swing.  I simply wouldn't call that an Extremely good swing... Like I said, it's a decent swing.  But needs a lot of work.

Originally Posted by jamo

You know how they say some guys like Ernie and Stricker have easy power? Manziel looks the complete opposite. He's lashing at the ball with that iron swing.

Yeah his tempo is terrible.  His swing flaws look eerily similar to my own.

Agree with this (which I alluded to with the 'competent' part of my above post).  But it sounds like those clips have some people pegging him at averaging 310 with the driver, and whatever "dynamic" translates to.  I took that to mean that Beach's "decent" 6-handicap swing would mean Johnny Manziel's "dynamic" swing would translate to a much lower handicap.

Hhahah 'Dynamic' versus 'Decent'.  I'm not sure what that user was getting at?  But he also felt Johnny footballs swing as 'Extremely' good... So.

Hhahah 'Dynamic' versus 'Decent'.  I'm not sure what that user was getting at?  But he also felt Johnny footballs swing as 'Extremely' good... So.

shit load of clubhead speed and great balance. im impressed

shit load of clubhead speed and great balance. im impressed

Ok.  There we go.  Now we have a better definition of 'Dynamic'.  Thank you.

His golf swing is OK. I know people that can hit the ball just fine with "worse" swings than that.

BTW. I can never quite get past how much Johnny Manziel looks like Tim Roth in the movie Rob Roy.

Guys, I'm gonna need you to really get into a huge argument over this so that I can get in the running for "Kickstarter of the Month"...mmmkay?

Guys, I'm gonna need you to really get into a huge argument over this so that I can get in the running for "Kickstarter of the Month"...mmmkay?

LOL... That's pretty much a wrap.

I'm an Aggie and I really hope Johnny didn't sign those autographs.. but really who goes to a hotel room and signs 300 helmets for free

We don't want to hear from Fans and Rivals, they have a vested biased opinion on the subject ;)

honestly he sounds like the classic rich kid who has the ego the size of texas. Honestly he'll probably still be drafted, even if he's banned from college football. He has a crazy talent for being a quarterback. I think with the spread moving towards football, someone will take a shot on him. Heck i think he might be perfect for Philadelphia. Michael Vick is getting old, they have the kid from WV, but i think Johnny is better than him. That kid ripped up on a pathetic Big East division. Johnny ripped up on Alabama.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!