IGNORED

Johnny Manziel shoots "79 at Pebble"?

bplewis24
Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like to keep this discussion mostly about Johnny Manziel's alleged golf game, and not his on/off field troubles/controversies.

Anyway, I was waiting in the lobby of my physical therapist's office, and came across this (last sentence of the left block of text):

Some of you may have already noted that I am a cynical, skeptical person, especially when it comes to celebrities and their (vanity) handicaps.  Does anybody know anything about Manziel's golf game and interest in general?  Is he an avid golfer?  I'm inclined, p rima facie , to completely dismiss this score as either pure bull****, or played as a "variant of golf." What do you guys think?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

They say football is not his best game... wouldn't put it past him.

(Personally, I don't think the NCAA owns any individual's name. If a player works (signs) and is paid for it -- it is his ... I'd like the players to take them to court.)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I played college football, I didn't have nearly enough time to practice any golf.  I doubt he does.  For him to shoot a legit 79 I'd think he'd have to be a pretty avid or serious golfer.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

When I played college football, I didn't have nearly enough time to practice any golf.  I doubt he does.  For him to shoot a legit 79 I'd think he'd have to be a pretty avid or serious golfer.

Manziel is an extraordinary athlete. From a story when he was a high school senior:

"Though he's concentrating on football now, Manziel's athletic ability has been recognized in basketball, baseball and golf. He played basketball through eighth grade. He played baseball until this year. A standout shortstop, he batted .412 as a sophomore and .416 as a junior.

Manziel carries an 8 or 10 handicap in golf, even though he rarely has time to play. His dad, Paul, is a scratch golfer who played on the PGA Mini Tour and he calls the sport "a family thing."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Dave H

Pretty sure he grew up on a golf course and played regularly.

Johnny is some kind of athletic savant... keep him on the field, and not in the real world.

Johnny is one of the rare gifted people who can probably do anything very very good. Yet what he can't do good is act with some humility, because he obviously doesn't know how good he's got it in life.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm not surprised that he shot a 79. My cousin played tennis at a high level through high school... Played in many elite Junior Amateur matches and did well. He had coaches who felt he could potentiall play at a pro level, but he never pursued it as he just didnt have the desire. He did go on and play in college... But never professionally. He never played golf in his life until he took his first job as an accountant, and his work had a company golf league. Within a year of him picking up a club, he was already breaking 80 regularly, legit no BS. Today he has a 3 handicap and is a good amateur golfer who has never taken a golf lesson. Some guys are just athletic freaks and have superior proprioception. I'd say Manziel fits this description.

Johnny is some kind of athletic savant... keep him on the field, and not in the real world.

Exactly. He'd better learn to act better in he real world though or the field won't be an option.

Exactly. He'd better learn to act better in he real world though or the field won't be an option.

Or the next headline will be "Johnny Football shoots self in foot.".

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The dude comes from old oil $. I'm sure he was swinging a club long before he played football - on the best courses with the best instructors. I've heard he has game - never researched it further. I bet it's legit. Romo doesn't golf from July to January, throws his bag on a plane, and breaks 80 at Pebble - no reason for me to think J. Football can't.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Or the next headline will be "Johnny Football shoots self in foot.".

Some guys can't handle the real world. Some never learn, some learn over time.

Johnny is having a tough time with his celebrity. A&M; or the NCAA should have a guard with these kids - these autograph sellers apparently hound these guys, even following them to their hotel room and putting their foot in the door. They don't allow these kids to breathe ... and they are kids! If they have not been exposed to celebrity status on a national stage previously, like Johnny, some have a tough time with it. Greed gets the best of them - want my autograph? It's my name. What do you mean I can't sell my name. It is a commodity. My talent made it valuable. Some of these kids don't get it, fight it, or don't want to get it - rules exist, and when they agreed to play football, whether they like the rules or whether they rules are legal - they agreed to them.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Manziel is an extraordinary athlete. From a story when he was a high school senior:

"Though he's concentrating on football now, Manziel's athletic ability has been recognized in basketball, baseball and golf. He played basketball through eighth grade. He played baseball until this year. A standout shortstop, he batted .412 as a sophomore and .416 as a junior.

Manziel carries an 8 or 10 handicap in golf, even though he rarely has time to play. His dad, Paul, is a scratch golfer who played on the PGA Mini Tour and he calls the sport "a family thing."

Pretty sure he grew up on a golf course and played regularly.

That's the kind of info I was looking for.  Sounds like it could be legit.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

The dude comes from old oil $. I'm sure he was swinging a club long before he played football - on the best courses with the best instructors. I've heard he has game - never researched it further. I bet it's legit. Romo doesn't golf from July to January, throws his bag on a plane, and breaks 80 at Pebble - no reason for me to think J. Football can't.

Because as Cowboys fans we know that our season is always over by the 1st of January.

Originally Posted by theworldengine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMhUTBvq-kQ&feature;=youtube_gdata_player

Its legit. Check out the tee shot in the video. He has an extremely good swing, and looks like he can drive it 310 at least.

I'd say he has a decent swing.  I wouldn't call it 'extremely' good by any means... As his right leg/foot needs a lot of work from A5++.

• Upvote 1

Crap - Johnny Football could be Johnny Golfball.

He exudes stud.

Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!