IGNORED

PGA Bans Caddy Races

Note: This thread is 2821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This just in, there will be no more caddie races at the Phoenix tournament.... Not super happy about this decision, I think the races were fun and one more reason to watch the tournament. What are you guy's thoughts?

I get that Waste Management / Phoenix Open is supposed to be a "fun" tournament.  The problem is that people attending and watching WM don't realize that the behavior they encourage there isn't how the galleries should behave at other tournaments.   PGA Tour should consult with Augusta National as they seem to know how to get their visitors to behave properly during a Major.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get that Waste Management / Phoenix Open is supposed to be a "fun" tournament.  The problem is that people attending and watching WM don't realize that the behavior they encourage there isn't how the galleries should behave at other tournaments.   PGA Tour should consult with Augusta National as they seem to know how to get their visitors to behave properly during a Major.

Look at the attendance at the Phoenix Open, Golf needs more "fun" tournaments. They also attract much younger crowds which is good for the sport.

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Look at the attendance at the Phoenix Open, Golf needs more "fun" tournaments.

They also attract much younger crowds which is good for the sport.

I agree they are good for golf and attract younger crowds.  They also encourage people to get drunk, yell out annoying phrases and act stupid which isn't ideal for a Major setting.

Originally Posted by theworldengine

what would you rather see. ban caddy races, ban yelling at tee shots, or ban bill murray from golf.

Those yelling at tee shots should be shot with stun guns and removed from the premises.

The Phoenix Open is already crazy and over the top.  The Caddy races just added an element of danger IMO.  It was just a matter of time before someone got hurt.  When I saw some of those guys diving and tumbling into the green with their golf bag in tote, I was amazed that someone wasn't laid out hurt afterward.

The caddy race is good, clean fun. Who cares if someone gets hurt, it isn't mandatory. People get hurt playing sports all the time but it doesn't mean they are inherently dangerous.

Originally Posted by theworldengine

what would you rather see. ban caddy races, ban yelling at tee shots, or ban bill murray from golf.

Caddy races are rather benign. Not the be all to end all, but otherwise sort of tame. The cretins who always YELL at impact are selfishly trying to direct attention to themselves. Celebs playing golf do nothing for me. If I want to watch bad golf I can do that by going out to the patio at my club. Lots of it to see right there.

I'm just amazed the tour bans caddy races, but no word on cretins who YELL at golf shots.

Originally Posted by UpDown

The caddy race is good, clean fun. Who cares if someone gets hurt?

The caddies. Because it's their living. There'll be plenty of "yah boo sucks PGA Tour giant fun-sucking corporation liability bullshit" commentary all over, but pretty sure not many of the guys who actually had to do it will miss it.

Note: This thread is 2821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!