IGNORED

Gamemanship

dchoye
Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Play my first tournament on the weekend. bother by an incident at the 16 hole. We were waiting when the group behind catches up to us and one of the members of that group, ( the are all strangers) targets me and says" hey those pants look like the one my wife wears"  Now Im wearing grey casual capri pants, nothing too outlandish , and Im thinking to myself " what does he care?'

Anyway, I just smile and doing my thing as Im getting ready to set up my tee ball.

After I hit , he agains starts yapping and say " did you know you tee up ahead of the tee markers?" now I was getting a agitated, i told here, this is my tee right at the markers and he spots a another tee a foot ahead. I start argue that he's mistaken. Then I look at my playing partners, who look dumbfounded and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary.  I wait to see what they say. None of them care. Finally one says "it doesnt matter"

We continue on our way. I dont think about it till after the round, but this guy seem like a straight A-hole.

I dont sure I what to do next time. But he certainly was messing with my head. If if was buddy that I knew was joking around then I dont care.

Two points:

1) Some people are simply jerks.  Do as you would tell your kids regarding a minor bully at school and just ignore them.

2) Men should not be wearing capri pants.  We should all honor Payne Stuart by concluding that he was the last man alive who could pull off the plus-fours and put a moratorium on men's lower body clothing that ends above the ankle but more than an inch below the knee.

• Upvote 2

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by dchoye

I dont sure I what to do next time. But he certainly was messing with my head. If if was buddy that I knew was joking around then I dont care.

Throw it back at him and don't let it bother you. It's locker room talk that's typical on the golf course.

Now Im wearing grey casual capri pants, nothing too outlandish , and Im thinking to myself " what does he care?'

Here's the bigger issue at hand, why were you wearing capri pants? If he said his wife wears similar pants, it may have been simply an astute observation.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Two points:

1) Some people are simply jerks.  Do as you would tell your kids regarding a minor bully at school and just ignore them.

2) Men should not be wearing capri pants.  We should all honor Payne Stuart by concluding that he was the last man alive who could pull off the plus-fours and put a moratorium on men's lower body clothing that ends above the ankle but more than an inch below the knee.

Agree with both points.  I remember the last time I saw a male wearing those things was in the 1950's when I was about 12 years old, and my 10 year old cousin had just come back from a Florida vacation wearing what he called "clam diggers".  They looked just like a girl's pedal pushers to me, and I told him so.  Never saw the clam diggers again.  Besides, we didn't dig for clams in Minnesota.

As far as the tee thing, why not just move the ball back a few inches?  Is that really going to make a difference in how you play the hole?  I typically tee up a foot back of the markers for safety, and sometimes as much as the full two clublengths allowed, especially on a par 3 if the that's what the distance to the hole suggests.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I haven't seen any men wearing capri pants all season, but I see plenty of guys tee it up an inch to a foot+ in front of the tee markers.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

The tee box was placed the maximum at the  back for the tournament and we couldnt tee it any further otherwise we would have an awkard stance cause of a mound   if the tee ball was a foot or two back of the tee markers

Also Im a tall guy and my capri pants goes up to my knees so it looks like any normal type of shorts from far away.

Not really "gamesmanship" if you weren't playing him.   Sounds like he was simply an outspoken observer. If you were witty, you'd have pointed out that they were in fact his wife's pants.

If you wear capri pants on the golf course, I can only imagine what you wear when you go rollerblading.  (A rainbow thong perhaps?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post

The tee box was placed the maximum at the  back for the tournament and we couldnt tee it any further otherwise we would have an awkard stance cause of a mound   if the tee ball was a foot or two back of the tee markers

If the tee markers were set that far back then the tournament organizers don't know what they are doing.

Quote:
Also Im a tall guy and my capri pants goes up to my knees so it looks like any normal type of shorts from far away.

Then why not just wear shorts like a real man? (j/k - wear whatever you like, but you better be prepared to take some kidding)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If you're gonna rock capris you've gotta be ready for the consequences.  Sounds like the guy was just having fun.

Have a response ready:

(I need longer shorts so my cock doesn't dangle out)

(they were pants before your mother gnawed off the bottoms)

(they're actually a pair of slacks I found in your wife's closet, we couldn't find my shorts after the tossle) etc.

Jest is part of the game and maybe the guy was trying to make buds with you.

Originally Posted by PJGNYC

Not really "gamesmanship" if you weren't playing him.   Sounds like he was simply an outspoken observer.  If you were witty, you'd have pointed out that they were in fact his wife's pants.

If you wear capri pants on the golf course, I can only imagine what you wear when you go rollerblading.  (A rainbow thong perhaps?)

For the win!

Originally Posted by PJGNYC

Not really "gamesmanship" if you weren't playing him.   Sounds like he was simply an outspoken observer.  If you were witty, you'd have pointed out that they were in fact his wife's pants.

We are playing for the same prize,. We were on the same flight. Final day of a two day tournament. Pairing are basesd on scores and his was likely same as mine as our tee off time was so close. So there was some "competitiveness feeling" existing in all the players in both groups.

I okay with capri pants. There was another guy in a group ahead that was wearing orange neon copy of Fowlers outfit complete with the orange "gangsta hat", now that hurts my eye!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If the tee markers were set that far back then the tournament organizers don't know what they are doing.

Not as uncommon as you might think, especially for a club tournament where they just let the maintenance staff set the course like they normally do.  Being a lefty, I have also encountered tee boxes where I would hit tree branches if I teed it up on the right side.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Play my first tournament on the weekend. bother by an incident at the 16 hole. We were waiting when the group behind catches up to us and one of the members of that group, ( the are all strangers) targets me and says" hey those pants look like the one my wife wears"  Now Im wearing grey casual capri pants, nothing too outlandish , and Im thinking to myself " what does he care?'

Anyway, I just smile and doing my thing as Im getting ready to set up my tee ball.

After I hit , he agains starts yapping and say " did you know you tee up ahead of the tee markers?" now I was getting a agitated, i told here, this is my tee right at the markers and he spots a another tee a foot ahead. I start argue that he's mistaken. Then I look at my playing partners, who look dumbfounded and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary.  I wait to see what they say. None of them care. Finally one says "it doesnt matter"

We continue on our way. I dont think about it till after the round, but this guy seem like a straight A-hole.

1st) he's an *******. He clearly isn't secure with his own style if he's making fun of yours.

2) don't let these guys raz you about capri pants. I believe a current pro golfer is designing his own pants that are cut shorter because they don't get dirty when walking around the course when its wet. honestly, if you can pull them off, more power to ya.

3) i think he was making the connection that you should be playing form the ladies tees because your wearing those pants. Which makes him an *******.

Just don't let it bother you, some people are just idiots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

We are playing for the same prize,. We were on the same flight. Final day of a two day tournament. Pairing are basesd on scores and his was likely same as mine as our tee off time was so close. So there was some "competitiveness feeling" existing in all the players in both groups.

I okay with capri pants. There was another guy in a group ahead that was wearing orange neon copy of Fowlers outfit complete with the orange "gangsta hat", now that hurts my eye!

You didn't answer my rollerblading question.   But that's cool.   Where is this tournament by the way?  Sounds like it might be worth watching the foursomes come up 18 for pure amusement's sake.

And of course you're okay with capri pants, you were wearing them.  Anyway, if you're going to wear them, be prepared to take some ribbing or have the game to shut him up.   Heck, he wasn't even that mean.  He could have said "Nice capris, how much do you charge for handjobs?"

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!