IGNORED

Placing my ball on a fairway pitch mark to tee up ball. Wrong or right?

barbm12thtee
Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After a downpour, last night's League Play was like playing in a swamp. Finding relief from casual water was a joke. Lift, clean and place was in effect. So here's what I did on a fairway shot, I lifted my ball, cleaned and placed it on the pitch mark made by my ball. It sat up real nice, like on a tee. So I hit my driver, to get the ball to the green on a Par 5. Did I cheat?" Should I not have done that?" (Said in George Costanza voice).

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

After a downpour, last night's League Play was like playing in a swamp. Finding relief from casual water was a joke. Lift, clean and place was in effect. So here's what I did on a fairway shot, I lifted my ball, cleaned and placed it on the pitch mark made by my ball. It sat up real nice, like on a tee. So I hit my driver, to get the ball to the green on a Par 5. Did I cheat?" Should I not have done that?" (Said in George Costanza voice).

Totally permitted under lift, clean and place.  In fact the PGA Tour players also do this exact thing when available.

Well, you cannot replace the ball in such a way to improve your lie, so, "teeing" it up on a pitch mark is indeed improving it, so, I would say you broke the rules, yes... You naughty man! :D

Well, I eat my hat... And learn something new at the same time! :D

This is why I joined here... For snippets like that!

Dabz

Totally fine, in fact, I learned that trick from a pro playing winter golf in a competition..As long as the pitch mark wasn't closer to the hole.

He also would put his ball on top of a piece of goose crap that was near his ball.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

Totally fine, in fact, I learned that trick from a pro playing winter golf in a competition..As long as the pitch mark wasn't closer to the hole.

Not all tricks learned from pro's are according to the Rules, unfortunately. Fortunately this one is.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

He also would put his ball on top of a piece of goose crap that was near his ball.

A strategic worm cast is better.

As long as you don't create the lie or move something to place the ball on, anything within the relief area is fair game.

If you use goose crap, you might want to be careful of the splatter.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Two more separate questions..... 1.) Okay, so if you are playing winter rules and rolling the ball is acceptable or in a scramble, can you take a practice swing and create a divot which creates a nice little place to "tee" your OWN ball? 2.) Also, I remember the Pro playing with my team in a scramble, instructed ME to try to create a divot while swinging my club when we were hitting from the rough. This was so that HE could place his ball on the fluffed up grass MY swing created. Does that sound right?

Two more separate questions.....

1.) Okay, so if you are playing winter rules and rolling the ball is acceptable or in a scramble, can you take a practice swing and create a divot which creates a nice little place to "tee" your OWN ball?

2.) Also, I remember the Pro playing with my team in a scramble, instructed ME to try to create a divot while swinging my club when we were hitting from the rough. This was so that HE could place his ball on the fluffed up grass MY swing created. Does that sound right?

None of the above is acceptable in the Rules.

But there are no rules in scrambles other than the ones made up by the organiser(s).

Originally Posted by thescarecrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulesman

You may also place the ball on a stray tee that someone has fortuitously left stuck in the ground.

This is drawing a very long bow ?................Not recommended ...............

Why?  You can't stick it in the ground, but if you find it there and it's within the area allowed for placement, then it's fair game.  If that bothers you, well...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Why?  You can't stick it in the ground, but if you find it there and it's within the area allowed for placement, then it's fair game.  If that bothers you, well...

Well...........  If you truly believe  what you are saying, good luck to you.....However ....The Local Rule should read "place it  on a spot"  Spot meaning ''a spot on the fairway".....If the ball was placed on a tee,(fortunate or not)  and  I happened to   turn as you hit the ball, and a tee just happens to fly in the air , what do you think my  response would be ?..........As I said "not recommended"   Well..........................I would assume it fell out of your pocket and .......Well,........ "not recommended"    Well.........., what else have you been up to with my back turned. ...............Well........ "Not Recommended"........No,..It does not bother me, unless I had your scorecard in my pocket..

Well...........  If you truly believe  what you are saying, good luck to you.....However ....The Local Rule should read "place it  on a spot"  Spot meaning ''a spot on the fairway".....If the ball was placed on a tee,(fortunate or not)  and  I happened to   turn as you hit the ball, and a tee just happens to fly in the air , what do you think my  response would be ?..........As I said "not recommended"   Well..........................I would assume it fell out of your pocket and .......Well,........ "not recommended"    Well.........., what else have you been up to with my back turned. ...............Well........ "Not Recommended"........No,..It does not bother me, unless I had your scorecard in my pocket..

I cannot recall the competition but years ago Bernhard Langer dropped his ball taking relief from something and his ball ended up on the tee he had used to mark the margin of his drop area. The referee gave the situation some thought and in the end allowed Langer to play his ball from the tee. Obviously no Rule against that.

Afa as 'a spot' is concerned it could be anywhere, not only on fairway (which, btw, is not defined in the Rules at all). It could be in a tree, on a bridge, on a car, virtually anywhere. So placing a ball on a stray tee is as good place as any. Happens very seldom, though, I would suspect.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

I cannot recall the competition but years ago Bernhard Langer dropped his ball taking relief from something and his ball ended up on the tee he had used to mark the margin of his drop area. The referee gave the situation some thought and in the end allowed Langer to play his ball from the tee. Obviously no Rule against that.

Afa as 'a spot' is concerned it could be anywhere, not only on fairway (which, btw, is not defined in the Rules at all). It could be in a tree, on a bridge, on a car, virtually anywhere. So placing a ball on a stray tee is as good place as any. Happens very seldom, though, I would suspect.

Dropped is not placed.

....The Local Rule should read "place it  on a spot"  Spot meaning ''a spot on the fairway"...

But it doesn't. It simply says " he must place it on a spot within (specify area, e.g., six inches, one club-length, etc.) of and not nearer the hole than where it originally lay, that is not in a hazard and not on a putting green"

Some years ago I received this reply from the R&A;

"If there's an LI or a movable obstruction within the distance, the player may place the ball on it."

Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!