IGNORED

What "grinds your gears" on the golf course?

villafranca
Note: This thread is 3852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello new to the forums here and was curious of what other golfers do to upset you on the course “So what grinds you gears?”

As a relatively new golfer I tend to get intimidated while I’m on the golf course and it’s a busy day with people waiting behind for my group to go. I assume that when I hit a bad shot the people behind me are thinking “Ooh great this guy stinks were are going to be here all day!”

I want to know if this is really what’s happening, if not then what does “grind your gears”?

When I hit more than the normal poor shots.

Rocks in the sand trap.

Ball marks on the green left un-repaired.----!!!!!!!!!! (i usually fix 3 on every hole, mine and a couple others)

Practice green with a TON of shoe scuff marks.

Loud children.

arrogant, snotty people

tantrums

Don't much care about how people play as long as it's clear they are having fun and trying to keep pace.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by villafranca

Hello new to the forums here and was curious of what other golfers do to upset you on the course “So what grinds you gears?”

As a relatively new golfer I tend to get intimidated while I’m on the golf course and it’s a busy day with people waiting behind for my group to go. I assume that when I hit a bad shot the people behind me are thinking “Ooh great this guy stinks were are going to be here all day!”

I want to know if this is really what’s happening, if not then what does “grind your gears”?

It depends. I've been behind people and said that...but it's only because their crappy game goes hand in hand with their overall laziness and disregard for other people on the course. If you're playing poorly, but still move quickly, I won't care. I'll laugh at the shot...but you won't hear it. ;)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

It depends. I've been behind people and said that...but it's only because their crappy game goes hand in hand with their overall laziness and disregard for other people on the course. If you're playing poorly, but still move quickly, I won't care. I'll laugh at the shot...but you won't hear it. ;)

good to know! I move quickly regardless, but especially if i'm hitting poorly.

One thing the grinds my gears on the course, I played with this guy once and before every shot he took forever to hit. Taking at least 5 practice swings and measuring every angle making sure his swing was "perfect" and his setup was "perfect" 5 minutes later he would hit the ball and it went 10 feet ... We played 18 holes with no one in front of us and it took 6 hours..

I assume that when I hit a bad shot the people behind me are thinking “Ooh great this guy stinks we're are going to be here all day!”  I want to know if this is really what’s happening, if not then what does “grind your gears”?

Most golfers don't pay that much attention to other players.  I always describe golf as a "selfish game."  We really only care about our shots and scores.  As long as you aren't holding us up, we barely notice you.

To answer your question, yes, that thought probably enters a lot of players minds, mine included.  However, it only is an issue after several very poor attempts.  A single poor shot at the beginning of a round happens to everyone. If a player hits a poor shot but makes reasonable contact and quickly moves to the ball and hits it again, etc... few will have an issue with that.  If you play quickly and stay close to the group ahead of you the entire time, don't worry about what everyone else thinks because we will be thinking about OUR game, not yours.

What really gets everyone agitated is when several novices are playing together and there are numerous whiffs, practice swings and shots that travel 4 feet.  No matter how quickly one plays, when the ball is missed completely or only goes a few feet, it is almost impossible to play at a proper pace. If that describes your game, spend some more time at the range or taking lessons before venturing out on the course.

Brian Kuehn

I hate slow play, doesn't matter if you are good or not. I also hate when guys stand and talk to the cart girl for 10 minutes every time she comes around like they are going to get laid...

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

People not understanding how to play properly.

Things like, they talk forever on the green after everyone has finished putting instead of talking while they walk to their cart, putting their headcovers on their driver after every tee shot, taking more than 2 practice swings, reading putts from multiple angles when its for bogey or worse, parking there cart far away from the green so after the putt they have to walk forever back to it, not bringing your putter with the wedge when you are chipping, watching your friend hit his shot in the fairway then driving over to your ball afterwards instead of going while he is hitting.

I could go on and on and on. Pretty much anything that contributes to slow play. Thank god I was taught by fast players

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I hate slow play, doesn't matter if you are good or not. I also hate when guys stand and talk to the cart girl for 10 minutes every time she comes around like they are going to get laid...

You mean that I'm NOT gonna get laid?  That's just a real shame.  She doesn't know what she's missing.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

You mean that I'm NOT gonna get laid?  That's just a real shame.  She doesn't know what she's missing.

And probably best that she doesn't know...

As with pretty much everyone else, I hate anything that contributes to slow play. However, I also hate when people obviously lack basic etiquette. For example, hitting their 5 foot putt while I'm lining up my 10 foot putt, hitting at the exact same time I am, and driving up to the green before I have even hit my approach shot. I know these things seem like they speed up play (and really, they do), but the amount of time saved is directly proportional to the amount of pissed off I get.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

Most golfers don't pay that much attention to other players.  I always describe golf as a "selfish game."  We really only care about our shots and scores.  As long as you aren't holding us up, we barely notice you.

To answer your question, yes, that thought probably enters a lot of players minds, mine included.  However, it only is an issue after several very poor attempts.  A single poor shot at the beginning of a round happens to everyone. If a player hits a poor shot but makes reasonable contact and quickly moves to the ball and hits it again, etc... few will have an issue with that.  If you play quickly and stay close to the group ahead of you the entire time, don't worry about what everyone else thinks because we will be thinking about OUR game, not yours.

What really gets everyone agitated is when several novices are playing together and there are numerous whiffs, practice swings and shots that travel 4 feet.  No matter how quickly one plays, when the ball is missed completely or only goes a few feet, it is almost impossible to play at a proper pace. If that describes your game, spend some more time at the range or taking lessons before venturing out on the course.

thankfully no I'm not like that. I will admit I used to have rounds were its happened and Ill just pick my ball up and move ahead.

thankfully no I'm not like that. I will admit I used to have rounds were its happened and Ill just pick my ball up and move ahead.

I didn't think you fit that description because you have a handicap and you were aware some people might assume a less skilled player will be slow.  We both know that is not true. So I go back to my original advice to not worry about what other people think.  Most of us are worried about how we are going to hit and could care less about you and your game.

Brian Kuehn

Had a guy who used to be in our regular Saturday group who was notorious for riding ahead when it was someone elses turn to hit.  We all owned our own carts so he did not have to wait on anyone.  Back then everything I hit was a draw.  He, on the other hand, was a slicer.  So invariably, he would be out ahead of me on the right hand side of the fairway waiting for me to hit.  Well, I have to aim right some because my ball is coming back left.  I mentioned it to him a time or 2 and his comment was...go ahead, I will get out of the way if it is coming my way.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

some morons reading a green for 10 minutes on a 2 foot putt! Or some other clown taking 2 practise swings before every shot ..then slicing it! Or some bell end searching in the trees or knee deep rough for 5 mins for a 50cent lake ball! Or talking on ya phone when ya should be taking a shot! Or leaving ya bag 50yrds from ya ball then walking back to get it! These are a few of my favourite things!

Gaz Lee

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

Most of us are worried about how we are going to hit and could care less about you and your game.

Clearly from this thread 'most' is likely untrue.  Apparently it's about 50/50 on who worries more about their own business and more about others.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by Hardballs

some morons reading a green for 10 minutes on a 2 foot putt!

Or some other clown taking 2 practise swings before every shot ..then slicing it!

Or some bell end searching in the trees or knee deep rough for 5 mins for a 50cent lake ball!

Or talking on ya phone when ya should be taking a shot!

Or leaving ya bag 50yrds from ya ball then walking back to get it!

These are a few of my favourite things!

So taking 2 practice swings is bad now?  I almost always take 2 practice swings, unless it's what I consider to be a relatively easy shot (such as a 9 iron or less approach) usually one will do it because I'm very confident in those clubs.  But you're saying this as if you have NEVER taken 2 practice swings and then hit a bad shot...  practice swings don't prevent a bad shot

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

People in the other groups rarely do anything to bother me.  However, I did play on a league for a few years with a partner that drove me bonkers.  He never played "ready golf".  He'd sit in the cart while I hit my shot even if his ball was just 20 yards away.  He should have been choosing a club or walking to his ball to size up his shot or something but he'd wait until I hit and then I'd have to drive him to his ball.  Then after his shot he'd stand behind the cart and clean his grooves and spit on his club and take all day to get back in.  The worst thing he did though was he would never and I mean NEVER get out of the cart to help our opponents find a lost ball.  We played these two really old dudes one time who were trompsing through poison ivy looking for his ball on one hole and then when they lost a ball a few holes later he sat in the cart eating crackers.

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

I cringe when I see a beginner group in front on a busy day.   But I remind myself that I was once a beginner, played at wrong tee, and didn't understand golf etiquette.   That calms me down and I settle into "it's going to be a long day and let's just relax" mode.

The group that I don't appreciate on a same busy day is a four some engaged in betting on every hole.   They are usually good until they get to green and they take forever to putt.    Of course, everyone is waiting, watching them slowly walk back and forth to line up their putt, putting their markers down on putts with gimmie range left, line it up again, .....

How about guys who leave cigarette butts on green?   And  most golf courses in CA is non smoking to begin with.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!