IGNORED

I've got a case of the hooks....

crperry
Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently went in for my first few lessons after playing for a few years and developing on my own. I'm an 8 handicap now and the lessons really helped me improve my game. Nothing changed drastically just a few grip and posture fixes. The last few times out I've had a terrible hook. To the point it looks like I'm just learning the game. I'm taking huge divots and hitting the ground before the ball way worse than I used to. If I don't hook it, I hit it fat. This is completely opposite of the direction my game was headed and I don't understand what happened to my swing over such a short time period. Please help before my friends start calling me Captain Hook....

Assuming your grip isn't too strong, focus on a good hip turn. Hard to come over top with good hip turn. Downswing is started with turning hips, then shoulders, arms, hands in that order. As long as I make good hip turn, neutral grip, and swing down target line, then I keep from hooking.

Originally Posted by crperry

I recently went in for my first few lessons after playing for a few years and developing on my own. I'm an 8 handicap now and the lessons really helped me improve my game. Nothing changed drastically just a few grip and posture fixes.

The last few times out I've had a terrible hook. To the point it looks like I'm just learning the game. I'm taking huge divots and hitting the ground before the ball way worse than I used to. If I don't hook it, I hit it fat. This is completely opposite of the direction my game was headed and I don't understand what happened to my swing over such a short time period.

Please help before my friends start calling me Captain Hook....

It's going to be really hard to tell you much without seeing a video. Start your own swing thread here , and you'll get much better feedback,

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

open up your stance and choke up a little with the driver. That will help somewhat. Also open the face of the club slightly.

An old pro once told me this....."No matter what youre going through in life....Never sell your golf clubs."

Originally Posted by Micah

open up your stance and choke up a little with the driver. That will help somewhat. Also open the face of the club slightly.

OP, don't do any of those things. Post a swing video. Doing any of those would be the equivalent of taking Tylenol when you have a sinus infection. It may help the symptoms, but won't fix the problem.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Crockme

Hard to come over top with good hip turn.

Coming over the top causes a slice, not a hook, in probably 95% of cases unless it's a severe pull-hook with an extremely shut face.

Anyways, on topic, I believe that a swing video would be the best way for anyone here to be able to help you. Without seeing what it is that you may be doing wrong it is hard for anyone to give you more than general tips or tips that may have worked for them in the past. That means that they may end up hurting more than helping depending on how you swing compared to the tip-giver.

**** what the LSU guy says and swing however you want because what it really boils down to is squaring the club face upon impact which will ensuure a straight shot and good ball striking ability. Look at Jim Furyk....ugly swing but squares up on impact.

An old pro once told me this....."No matter what youre going through in life....Never sell your golf clubs."

**** what the LSU guy says and swing however you want because what it really boils down to is squaring the club face upon impact which will ensuure a straight shot and good ball striking ability. Look at Jim Furyk....ugly swing but squares up on impact.

I actually think it's sound advice that geauxforbroke gave him. You can "fix" your problem with a bandaid where you just modify a couple setup things and ignore your swing faults, or you can go in and fix the actual swing that's the root of the problem.

Also, a square clubface does NOT "ensure a straight shot and good ball striking". You can hit massive hooks and slices with a square clubface all day if your swing path isn't straight through the ball. You can also hook the ball with an open face (relative to the target, not your swingpath), and slice it with a closed clubface (again relative to the target).

Now, if you are talking about a square clubface relative to the swingpath, he will hit straight shots all day. That doesn't mean that those straight shots will go where he is aiming (they go where the swingpath and clubface were aiming), nor does it automatically improve ballstriking. What if he hits it fat or thin a couple times a round? Is he still an exceptional ballstriker because he has a square clubface?

Finally, to the original poster, please do post a swing video in the "Member Swings" section. Iacas and Mvmac are both highly qualified to look at it and give a few suggestions if they have time. In addition we can then see if you are coming from too far from the inside to cause your hook, or if you just have a very shut clubface. Each of those would have a different fix that allows you to fix the cause in the swing rather than only trying to fix your hook.

• Upvote 2

Wow, aren't you a joy to have around. Bad swing advice and a potty mouth, what do you do for an encore?

I could elaborate but Pretzl covered it pretty well so...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

squaring the club

face upon impact is not bad advice....youre an idiot

squaring the club face upon impact is not bad advice....youre an idiot

Please enlighten us. To what should the club face be "square"?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

squaring the club face upon impact is not bad advice....youre an idiot

If I'm hitting beautiful push-draws and square my face I'll be hitting crazy hooks. If I'm hitting nice controlled pull fades and I square my face I'll be hitting banana balls. If I try to square my face and my path I'm dealing with a two way miss. You're only offering half the equation and your also being a jerk about it. Welcome to the forum, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If I'm hitting beautiful push-draws and square my face I'll be hitting crazy hooks. If I'm hitting nice controlled pull fades and I square my face I'll be hitting banana balls. If I try to square my face and my path I'm dealing with a two way miss. You're only offering half the equation and your also being a jerk about it. Welcome to the forum, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

You just couldn't let me have some fun, could you?! :-( ;-)

In David's bag....

If youre trying to work the ball with your pathetic 30 index hdcp the Id seriously invvest in a new hobby. Keep it simple with one fluid motion. BTW Charles Barkley just called you and said he wants his swing back...bwahahaaaa

If youre trying to work the ball with your pathetic 30 index hdcp the Id seriously invvest in a new hobby. Keep it simple with one fluid motion. BTW Charles Barkley just called you and said he wants his swing back...bwahahaaaa

My abilities or skill level have zero bearing on facts, they're facts. From here on in I'm just gonna sit back with my popcorn and watch you flame out. Please carry on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

[quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/69276/ive-got-a-case-of-the-hooks#post_884276"] My abilities or skill level have zero bearing on facts, they're facts. From here on in I'm just gonna sit back with my popcorn and watch you flame out. Please carry on.[/quote] Since EJ has broken out the popcorn, could you please answer my earlier question? What should the club face be "square" to at impact?

In David's bag....

Your question doesn't make sense big guy. Did you mean why should the clubface be square at impact? Then the answer would be to strike the ball flush thus ensuring a straight ball flight. Does that now make any sense to you dumb dumb? You need help buddy

Your question doesn't make sense big guy. Did you mean why should the clubface be square at impact? Then the answer would be to strike the ball flush thus ensuring a straight ball flight. Does that now make any sense to you dumb dumb? You need help buddy

Lol ... Micah you can borrow my shovel if yours starts to wear out (the one you're digging that grave with) I'm sitting with Ernie excitedly waiting to hear you answer Dave's question too! :)

Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!