IGNORED

Good Friend Is a Golf Cheater

tim1025
Note: This thread is 1419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Honestly most people I have golfed with - friends, coworkers, uncle, etc - "cheat" once in a while.  Whether its slicing a drive and saying mulligan and teeing up another or moving your lie from a tree root to a spot that won't damage your club.  It all depends how seriously you want to take the game.  Some people probably don't take it as seriously as you, especially if they aren't very good yet.

• Upvote 1

I would subtly let him know that you know he cheats.

Like someone said you could just cheat yourself for one round, and beat him, then see if he calls you out.

I would probably just count his shots on a couple of holes, and just tell him what he got and write it down.

It's not so bad if someone doesn't talk about their score, but when he brags he has beat you, that is just toooooooooo far! Lay the smackdown!

Originally Posted by kw purp

If he is enjoyable to be around aside from the cheating then who really cares as long as you aren't betting? Otherwise just avoid him if you can.

+1 (although if he talks smack after the round I'd through a few verbal jabs in about his liberal interpretation of the rules of golf)

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by tim1025

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO CHEATS HIS WAY THROUGH ENTIRE ROUND.

To me, the key word is "friend."

• If this is a close personal friend , and we are just playing for fun , I really don't care if they cheat on the golf course, as long as they are honest and true off the course.

• If this is a close personal friend , and we are playing for money , I would set the ground rules for what can and cannot be done, (improving lies, lost balls, etc.)

• If this is an acquaintance, and we are just playing for fun, I wouldn't worry about it, but I might look at them a little differently off of the course.  It has been said that you can tell a lot about a person's character just by spending two or four hours with them on the golf course.

• If this is an acquaintance, and we are playing for money, I would avoid playing with them in the future.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I had a guy who put his coin down in front of his ball. Then when his turn to putt, he placed the ball in front of the coin. I noticed it on the back nine, and he did it every time I watched closely. It gained him about an inch per putt? Why bother?! I guess if you mark and remark a two-footer enough times, it will eventually be a one-footer.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a best friend who will not count mulligans when tallying his score but he's not bragging about his score later.  It doesn't bother me, but the guy you're describing, I wouldn't be golfing with him.  It's one thing to move your golf ball that's sitting on a stone or something like that, but to keep getting himself out of trouble by moving his ball around, that's the work of a dishonest man.

I took the liberty of transcribing this post without all caps, because I simply could not bring myself to read it otherwise:

Quote:

I have a friend who cheats his way through the entire round.  Improves lie on almost all shots if thinks he can get away with it.  Moves ball sometimes 4 feet to hit around obsticles [sic] without taking stroke.  Seen him drop ball out of pocket and say “here is my ball”.  Casually drop ball a foot in front of ball marker on green.  It goes on and on.  Also brags about score after round.  At point where I avoid playing with him if possible.  Any thoughts?

Okay, after having read it, my thoughts are that the next time he wanted to play with me I'd say, "no thanks."  He would likely be surprised or taken aback, and ask "why?"

I'd casually respond, "because you cheat in about every way imaginable and then brag about your score, and that's not golf.  If you want to play with me, either stop bragging about the variant of golf you are playing, or start playing by the rules."

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 2 weeks later...

Played with a friend of a friend the other day who was the worst scorer in the world, he would have 3 of the tee, then about 3-4 shots to reach the green then a 2-3 putt and then say he shot a 4/5. Doesn't bother me personally I just mark him down hes only cheating himself.

My friend that cheats when it's just the two of us, is upping her cheating game. Last two times, playing with Women's Assoc., we were on the same TEAM and playing TEAM points. Money is involved and everyone must strictly adhere to USGA rules. She gave incorrect scores several times on the last two outings. Whenever she is corrected she gets defensive and tries to put up an argument. Then it gets awkward for everyone and then she gives everyone the silent treatment.

You know what they say, "If you don't cheat in golf, you only cheat yourself."

Who are they?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrobb911

You know what they say, "If you don't cheat in golf, you only cheat yourself."

Who are they?

Other cheaters trying to justify their actions.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Cheat" is a loaded word. I don't want to play with cheats.

Guys who play by their own rules mat be ignorant, uncaring, or simply not very serious. If they are "a friend" I would tell them what rules I play by. If we are playing for money (I almost always play for a very small amount of money) then we play my rules -- the rules.

Years ago I used to routinely roll my ball in the fairway. I didn't think of it as cheating and never did it if it "improved" my lie. A friend took my aside and explained that I should not do that ever again. I took his well meaning advise to heart because it was given in the spirit of true friendship.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Assuming the OP's friend knows the rules that are in place, it's up to you as to whether it's worth bringing up or not. If you feel that they truly may not know the penalties associated with improving their lie and such, just enlighten them about it. However, I'm sure that they know you are supposed to play the ball as it lies.

I have a friend that does the same thing, and he knows the rules. I typically don't mention it unless he starts to brag about his score, and then I put him in his place. Amazing how big of a difference there can be in my 78 and his 78 though.

I have a friend who does many of the same things (improve lie, give himself a 4' putt, ground club in hazard/sand, etc.).  On one hole, I asked him what he wanted to take and he was a bit taken aback.  He only plays for fun, never for money, and he's a nice guy to be around.  I don't really care how he scores himself.  He's just out to get some exercise and play golf.  On the other hand, his handicap is artificially low and no one in our club will play tournament play with/against him.  He knows the situation.

Mark in Colorado

Note: This thread is 1419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!