IGNORED

Duffed Range Balls

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does your home course allow you to pick up and re-hit some of the range balls that are merely yards from the practice tee? I know that the two main courses I play at allow it so long as you don't endanger yourself by going in front of others, but I recently encountered a grumpy course professional at a new course I played.

At the end of my 9 holes I wanted to hit a couple more shots before dark, so I figured I could help clean up the front of the practice tee by grabbing the balls and hitting them out there. At one of my home courses I've been asked to help an employee with this just because it makes picking the range a lot easier for them, so I figured there shouldn't be a problem. However, this guy comes out from behind the counter in the pro shop yelling, "No, you can't do that! Don't hit those!" after I had gathered 5 or so that were directly in front of the rope. Surprised, I apologized and left them there but it got me to wondering if there are any other courses that people play that do or don't allow you to hit those short range balls.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've collected duffed balls plenty of times and at different ranges and never got so much as a raised eyebrow. I thought everyone did it. I mean as long as the place isn't too crowded and you're not causing a nuisance. Did anyone else see you get scolded? I would have been embarrassed. That's probably the same guy that won't give the neighbor's kids baseball back when it goes in his yard.

That seems very petty. But I bet that guy I just trying to cover his ass if you happen to get hit. Either that or he found out you were sleeping with his girlfriend. ;)

That seems very petty. But I bet that guy I just trying to cover his ass if you happen to get hit. Either that or he found out you were sleeping with his girlfriend. ;)

Well, if the range worker found out the OP was sleeping with his girlfriend, wouldn't he want him to continue collecting balls hoping he would get hit? Edit:

I thought it was odd, since the only person on the range was at the far end with his back to me. He'd have to hit one between his legs to nail me.

But seriously, I've had someone ask me to do it for them at my home course before. It makes it so that they don't have the worry about picking the first 20-30 yards or so (which are sloping and difficult to pick at my home course) and speeds the overall process. Sort of weird that they don't ever try that at this new course, because I know a couple people jumped at the chance for free range balls when the man asked that one time. Sort of like getting people to pick a portion of the range by hand for free.

Towards the end of the season me home course does not even have range balls. If you ask for some they tell you to walk out and pick some up. Granted, that time of the year you will most likely be the only one out.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I thought it was odd, since the only person on the range was at the far end with his back to me. He'd have to hit one between his legs to nail me. But seriously, I've had someone ask me to do it for them at my home course before. It makes it so that they don't have the worry about picking the first 20-30 yards or so (which are sloping and difficult to pick at my home course) and speeds the overall process. Sort of weird that they don't ever try that at this new course, because I know a couple people jumped at the chance for free range balls when the man asked that one time. Sort of like getting people to pick a portion of the range by hand for free.

Guess he didn't see it that way. Be glad you DIDN'T HIT those balls. He might have ran out and yelled " NOW GO OUT THERE AND GET THOSE BALLS YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR!"

at my home course i've never been told anything, usually i dont get duffed balls unless i am one of the few people on the range...   If it's busy i dont bother with it...

tonight i went and got some duffed balls but i also was there till close, so nobody was around....

usually if one of the workers is out n about and is collecting balls he'll go around asking the regulars if they want some extra range balls to hit... but on the weekends a lot of the time guys will leave half full buckets on the range cuz their tee time came up....   So if i happen to be around, i'll snatch them up lol    nothing like hitting sometimes 2 to 3 free buckets over a weekend,,,

It is what it is

It's one thing to pay for a bucket to hit.....and scrape-back a few to hit a few extra balls.    It's quite another thing to go to the range without paying for a bucket........and doing what you do.  It's apples to oranges.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

It's one thing to pay for a bucket to hit.....and scrape-back a few to hit a few extra balls.    It's quite another thing to go to the range without paying for a bucket........and doing what you do.  It's apples to oranges.........

I had already paid for a large bucket and nine holes previous to this incident. Maybe he didn't remember that?

5 balls? And all you were doing is taking a few swings post round? That guy should have just looked the other way. Maybe it's a liability thing.

Occam's razor

That is odd behavior.

Control issues, Mad Cow Disease. Who knows?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Regardless, I'm wondering what the generally accepted "norm" is for dealing with that. Do most courses allow you to drag a couple back after a round or near dark before they pick the range, or will they frown upon it?

I haven't been to many ranges since there's not one near where I live and my two *home* courses don't have one.

I got chewed out for hitting a fairway wood at one course that was supposed to be "irons only". I knew we weren't supposed to hit a driver because the range was too short but the guy next to me was hitting a long iron out there about 250 yards (and still in the range). I decided to hit some 5 woods (around 230 yards for me) and a marshal came over and very angrily told me to not hit that club anymore and asked me how I would like to have to go down in the woods and pick up those balls. Normally I would have told him exactly where he could go and that my balls weren't going any longer than some of the other guy's long irons but since it was at a club my son had just joined I wasn't about to make a scene and mess things up for my son, and ruin the round we were going to play.

So uncharacteristically for me, I bit my tongue.

General Rule:

You finish your bag, you're finished hitting balls.

Accepted Norm: Getting a handful of balls 10 yards in front of you when no one is around.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

General Rule:

You finish your bag, you're finished hitting balls.

Accepted Norm: Getting a handful of balls 10 yards in front of you when no one is around.

Agreed. If you can rake a few back without putting yourself in the line of fire -- it's pretty much a victimless crime.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

This reminds me of what i saw last week at my local range. It was late in the day and an older gemtleman walked up with an empty small bucket picking duffed balls from the one side of the range that was empty. He ended up with almost a full small bucket. No one said a word. I always grad a few duffed balls, ive never had anyone say anything to me about it.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

This seems odd to me. As long as you're not putting yourself in harms way and not holding anyone up who is trying to hit on the range what's the issue? If someone leaves a few balls behind are you allowed to hit those or would that also be frowned upon?

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!