IGNORED

Standing next to the tee box, in front?

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey dudes, I had a question about the rules of all of ya. During my tournaments, I've been noticing that some players will be standing straight next to you on the tee-box with their bags very close to you.. aka making it very possible to hit them / their bags.

My question: Is this against the JGANC / NCGA official golf rules? Could I call them out on it with a legit source backing me up?

Also, can a player be about 100 feet almost directly ahead of you when you are in the fairway. Like say I was about to hit my iron shot, and my opponet I was playing with was about 150 feet ahead of me and a little to the right. Is that illegal?

Thanks, just some questions I had! Much appreciated for all the answers in advance.

Originally Posted by Kelzzy

Hey dudes, I had a question about the rules of all of ya. During my tournaments, I've been noticing that some players will be standing straight next to you on the tee-box with their bags very close to you.. aka making it very possible to hit them / their bags.

My question: Is this against the JGANC / NCGA official golf rules? Could I call them out on it with a legit source backing me up?

Also, can a player be about 100 feet almost directly ahead of you when you are in the fairway. Like say I was about to hit my iron shot, and my opponet I was playing with was about 150 feet ahead of me and a little to the right. Is that illegal?

Thanks, just some questions I had! Much appreciated for all the answers in advance.

Nothing in the rules to prohibit either of those unless it's determined that it's done purposely to try and bother you.  Even then it's just an etiquette issue, and can only be addressed by the committee in charge of the competition.  It would have to be a severe breach of etiquette for the penalty to be assessed, because the only penalty they can call is disqualification.

You can do one of two things.  You can ask them to move away on the tee or farther to the side in the fairway, or you can just ignore it and learn to not let it bother you.  On the tee I'd certainly ask them to move their bags off the tee box, and step away from you.  For the fairway, it really doesn't bother me unless they are standing right in my line of play.  If they do that, then they are idiots, and I'd tell the to get out of the way or I'm not responsible for what happens next.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply. I was playing in a tourny and asked them to move from the tee box so my clubhead wouldn't knick them or their bag, but they didn't . I got used to it. As for standing in front of me in the fairway, it was just something I noticed a couple of players have been doing. Thanks!

Just courteously ask them to move when on the tee if you have a concern about hitting them or their bags. The more tournaments you play in, the more you'll learn to block out other competitors. Just don't be rude about it; chances are they aren't trying to intentionally bother you.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Just courteously ask them to move when on the tee if you have a concern about hitting them or their bags. The more tournaments you play in, the more you'll learn to block out other competitors. Just don't be rude about it; chances are they aren't trying to intentionally bother you.

You're 100 percent right. The most recent toruny I played in was about a week ago and I already felt myself adapting more to the course as a personal place than caring about the other players.

Originally Posted by Kelzzy

Just for information. The JGANC/NCGA don't make the Rules of Golf. They are made by the USGA and R&A.;

The JGANC/NCGA could make regulations re such actions but could not impose a Rule penalty but could impose a disciplinary penalty (eg prohibition of entry in to other events).

Start taking a slow swing and look back in the direction of interference.  They will get the picture.  If they stand there smugly it is gamesmanship and should be reported in an off-the-cuff manner "Yeah I played a nice round besides having to baby-sit Jim on the tee boxes.  He plopped his bag in my backswing at least 6 times.  Was really bothersome to have to show him where to stand."

You don't have to invoke any rules or say anything.

If their equipment is near you, just be doing some lazy half practice swings whilst looking at their stuff, or them.

They will get the message. If they don't, just keep doing it.

If they ask what you're waiting for, tell them.

If someone is in front of you on the fairway, same thing.

Just keep doing practice swings unti they get the message.

If they ask what you're waiting for, tell them.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by jobuddha

For the guy standing 100-150ft in front of you - what is the ruling if your ball hits him or his bag?

If he is your partner, it's a one stroke penalty.  Otherwise no penalty in stroke play - in either case, play the ball as it lies.

In match play, if a ball is stopped or deflected by an opponent or his caddie there is no penalty, but the player may immediately cancel and replay the stroke.  If any player from either side plays before he does so, the stroke stands.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!