IGNORED

Advice Needed

AnAvidGolfer
Note:Β This thread is 3886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Im new to golf and have only been having lessons for about 6 months and recently my pro suggested i get a hybrid and possibly a 3 wood because i struggle to maintain a decent strike when it comes to 3/4 irons etc. Having taken my pros advice i bought a 3 wood and ordered a hybrid from a shop in my area and i had a go on a simulator and got some numbers etc and have no idea really whats good and whats bad because when i use a driver i hit the ball left and this just what happened on the simulator but my distances and carry were decent i will upload a pic to show what club was best and what my final decision was. The guy on the simulator said i have a very fast swing speed, he said its way over a 100mph dont know whether this is good or bad again looking for some input.

I cant upload the picture for some reason

i chose the callaway x hot 3 wood because it was the club that i was the most consistent with my average distance with 5 shots from the club was 255-260 carry and 270 total distance which i was very pleased with for all my shots going left!

Numbers from the picture.. over 5 shots from the callaway

ball Β  Β  quality Β  Β launch Β  spin Β  Β carry Β distance

165 Β  Β  98 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 17.1 Β  Β  Β 3642 Β  Β 255 Β  Β 270

165 Β  Β  97 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  18.1 Β  Β  3896 Β  Β 254 Β  Β 272

157 Β  Β  94 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 17.9 Β  Β  Β 3657 Β  Β 256 Β  Β 270

165 Β  Β  98 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  15 Β  Β  Β  Β 3158 Β  Β 256 Β  Β 274

171 Β  Β  101 Β  Β  Β  Β  17.9 Β  Β  Β 3965 Β  Β 263 Β  Β 278

Any advice would be very helpful.

I would also like some advice on how far my carry would be improved if i actually hit a straight long shot or a fade? and how much i would it improve my overall distance.

In The Bag:

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 9.5 w/Phenom 70g S flexΒ 

3-Wood: Callaway x-hot S flexΒ 

Irons: Titleist Ap1 3-pwΒ 

Wedges: Titleist sm4 56/60Β 

Putter: OdysseyΒ 

Ball: Whatever i find!

:whistle::mad::pound:

I joined this site to get advice

In The Bag:

Originally Posted by AnAvidGolfer

Im new to golf and have only been having lessons for about 6 months and recently my pro suggested i get a hybrid and possibly a 3 wood because i struggle to maintain a decent strike when it comes to 3/4 irons etc. Having taken my pros advice i bought a 3 wood and ordered a hybrid from a shop in my area and i had a go on a simulator and got some numbers etc and have no idea really whats good and whats bad because when i use a driver i hit the ball left and this just what happened on the simulator but my distances and carry were decent i will upload a pic to show what club was best and what my final decision was. The guy on the simulator said i have a very fast swing speed, he said its way over a 100mph dont know whether this is good or bad again looking for some input.

I cant upload the picture for some reason

i chose the callaway x hot 3 wood because it was the club that i was the most consistent with my average distance with 5 shots from the club was 255-260 carry and 270 total distance which i was very pleased with for all my shots going left!

Numbers from the picture.. over 5 shots from the callaway

ball Β  Β  quality Β  Β launch Β  spin Β  Β carry Β distance

165 Β  Β  98 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 17.1 Β  Β  Β 3642 Β  Β 255 Β  Β 270

165 Β  Β  97 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  18.1 Β  Β  3896 Β  Β 254 Β  Β 272

157 Β  Β  94 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 17.9 Β  Β  Β 3657 Β  Β 256 Β  Β 270

165 Β  Β  98 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  15 Β  Β  Β  Β 3158 Β  Β 256 Β  Β 274

171 Β  Β  101 Β  Β  Β  Β  17.9 Β  Β  Β 3965 Β  Β 263 Β  Β 278

Any advice would be very helpful.

I would also like some advice on how far my carry would be improved if i actually hit a straight long shot or a fade? and how much i would it improve my overall distance.

I'm sure that you might get some grief because those numbers are pretty impressive for such a short time. Either way, carry on a draw and straight shot are typically pretty similar for me, however a fade will usually be shorter. A fast swing speed, if controlled, is a good thing because speed = distance.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you but its starting to bug me because i play a lot i play my local course at least twice a week and the range three times a week because i want to become a pro i know it sounds stupid but golf is something i want to make a career out and this hook is starting to ruin scores etc losing at least 2 balls ever round which impacts on scores a lot!

In The Bag:

When i have next lesson i will try and get a vid of my swing and when i next go to the shop to collect my hybrid i will post numbers etc when the time comes to collect it

In The Bag:

Thank you but its starting to bug me because i play a lot i play my local course at least twice a week and the range three times a week because i want to become a pro i know it sounds stupid but golf is something i want to make a career out and this hook is starting to ruin scores etc losing at least 2 balls ever round which impacts on scores a lot!

When I'm hitting a hook it's because my swing is getting to flat or I'm getting stuck and flipping through the ball. To combat this I started really focusing on getting my left shoulder under my chin on the swing and it helps get my swing more upright. Not sure if this will work for you, but it's what helped me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

thank you i will try this at the range tomorrow

In The Bag:

I have some other carry stats.

sw 110

pw 135

9i 145

8i 155

7i 165

6i 180

5i 195

4i 205 getting rid of

3i 215 getting rid of

3iron and 4iron are/ have been replaced by a 3 wood and a hybrid

Improved my carry by a long way

3 wood carry around 250-260 strong hook kill the carry

hybrid not yet known i guess around 240 carry

I am also looking to get a new driver will update when i go to the store and choose the best on numbers

How far are these distances of tour pros because i would like to have a better understanding of my golf although golf is the art of scoring not how far you hit my pro is trying to stop me focusing on distance!

Thanks in advance

In The Bag:

sw 110

pw 135

9i 145

8i 155

7i 165

6i 180

5i 195

4i 205 getting rid of

3i 215 getting rid of

3iron and 4ironΒ are/ have been replaced by a 3 wood and a hybrid

Improved my carry by a long way

3 wood carry around 250-260 strong hook kill the carry

hybrid not yet known i guess around 240 carry

I am also looking to get a new driver will update when i go to the store and choose the best on numbers

How far are these distances of tour pros because i would like to have a better understanding of my golf although golf is the art of scoring not how far you hit my pro is trying to stop me focusing on distance!

Thanks in advance

You would be better served to focus only on quality of shots aka desired flight path and accuracy. Once you get that locked down you can worry about trying to add distance.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

my iron play is surprising solid apart from the odd hook i would say 4/5 iron shots go where they're intended its just 3 wood and driver that need the most attention, im only taking a hard line on distance because im 19 and its becoming late to become a pro i.e a lot of tour players had/have already won championships etc and achieved pro status by my age or earlier and thats what i would like to become a pro or tour pro for the ultimate dream. Thanks

In The Bag:

my iron play is surprising solid apart from the odd hook i would say 4/5 iron shots go where they're intended its just 3 wood and driver that need the most attention, im only taking a hard line on distance because im 19 and its becoming late to become a pro i.e a lot of tour players had/have already won championships etc and achieved pro status by my age or earlier and thatsΒ what i would like to become a pro or tour pro for the ultimate dream. Thanks

There are several players who didn't join the tour until mid-late 20s and early 30s. You have plenty of time. If you are getting out 260 off the tee with a 3 wood you should be plenty close for approach shots. The only problem you may run into are long par 3s. Still, you should just keep working on getting consistent with all your clubs and then work on adding distance.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

my iron play is surprising solid apart from the odd hook i would say 4/5 iron shots go where they're intended its just 3 wood and driver that need the most attention, im only taking a hard line on distance because im 19 and its becoming late to become a pro i.e a lot of tour players had/have already won championships etc and achieved pro status by my age or earlier and thatsΒ what i would like to become a pro or tour pro for the ultimate dream. Thanks

I have a tip. Really focus on developing your shank game. It's important to be able to shape the ball in many different ways and a shank is an underutilized shot. Violently swing the hozzle at the center of the ball to produce the desired shot shape

thats good to know thanks, i will keep updating about my consistency as time goes on because i would like to start putting in some serious work into getting a handicap and then hopefully going to win tournaments in my area and then regional and then if all goes well ill be on tour!

In The Bag:

sw 110

pw 135

9i 145

8i 155

7i 165

6i 180

5i 195

4i 205 getting rid of

3i 215 getting rid of

First of all, your distances will get longer. Tour Pro's hit the ball usually however far they want to with an iron. Not all, but some have the ability to grab a 9 iron and go 175-180 with it. Along with that, they don't usually swing 100 percent at the ball unless its with a driver. If you are hitting a SW 110, which is what I hit mine then your ball striking is not very good with the other irons because hitting the sweet spot and flushing a club makes a world of difference in distance. After the SW I am about 10 yards longer on all of my irons. Work on your ball striking and you will get there quickly. If you can go out and hit a par 4 that plays 500 yards in two with a driver and an iron in your hand, then you have the ability to play any course.. so don't worry about what The tour guys hit... just make sure you can reach the green in two with some accuracy.

Note:Β This thread is 3886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!