IGNORED

step by step driving help needed

ffjosh
Note: This thread is 3883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Little about myself...if you don't care skip ahead Avg score 90+- 5 Been playing for many years, have had some medical issues that never allowed me to take a full swing until this year. I can't hit my driver at all. I'm very inconsistent, straight, slice, hook, you just never know. I normally use my 4 hybrid. I hit it straight 90% of the time. Good drive I hit 230, bad maybe 200. While doing this has helped my score it leaves long iron shots which I'm not the best with. I maybe hit the green 30% doing this but normally get it close for a easy chip. What I want is a new bigginer driving how too. I really just want to drive it straight 230-250 to start. I can always add some speed later. I am searching the forums on my phone but thought I would post as well

Check your grip at setup.

Get some one to video your swing so that you can see if you are returning the club to square at impact.

Getting some video of your swing would really help you see what you are doing.

Helped me.

The weapons of course descruction:

Driver:  :callaway:  RAZR 9.5 STIFF

3W     : :callaway:  RAZR STIFF

3H      : :callaway:  X HOT  STIFF

4-SW  :  CI11

GW     ::cleve: 588  50/8

P         : :odyssey:  White Hot Pro

Ball     : :callaway:  HEX BLACK TOUR

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by ffjosh

Little about myself...if you don't care skip ahead

Avg score 90+- 5

Been playing for many years, have had some medical issues that never allowed me to take a full swing until this year.

I can't hit my driver at all. I'm very inconsistent, straight, slice, hook, you just never know.

I normally use my 4 hybrid. I hit it straight 90% of the time. Good drive I hit 230, bad maybe 200.

While doing this has helped my score it leaves long iron shots which I'm not the best with. I maybe hit the green 30% doing this but normally get it close for a easy chip.

What I want is a new bigginer driving how too.

I really just want to drive it straight 230-250 to start. I can always add some speed later.

I am searching the forums on my phone but thought I would post as well

If your a chronic slicer of the ball, you'll have work. Post your swing and get some tips from guys on the forum, all we can do is guess, which might do more harm than good.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are hitting a 4hybrid 230 yards?  That is tremendous for someone as self-described as yourself.  You don't need a driver, you only need a 2hybrid which will get you 250 yards.

i bet you are flipping at it as you say you hit other clubs good and your inconsistant. if it is offf you left foot which it should be then just close your eyes and imagine its a pw and pull the trigger

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

Interesting... going to try this. It helped you?

yes if you set up the same every time you will find you can grove your swing. i was one to always place my driver at the ball and not notice how much my body and arms moved forward which forces the over the top or you will swing across the ball trying to subconsciously stay behind the ball sending the ball right and high. give it a shot i have hit more fairways since i started this then ever. it will take work also remember to close your upper body a little. setting up this way will help that but just put your left shoulder a little more right of target and it will help to get you on the inside path.

Originally Posted by spam

yes if you set up the same every time you will find you can grove your swing. i was one to always place my driver at the ball and not notice how much my body and arms moved forward which forces the over the top or you will swing across the ball trying to subconsciously stay behind the ball sending the ball right and high. give it a shot i have hit more fairways since i started this then ever. it will take work also remember to close your upper body a little. setting up this way will help that but just put your left shoulder a little more right of target and it will help to get you on the inside path.

Thanks for the link.  I will try it today at the range.  I have always set up with my club right behind the ball and never thought about my center of gravity.  I don't have an issue popping drives up at all but I struggle with control.

losing the ball right I'm guessing that was my problem. i still will lose it right but not near as bad as before and that is usually cause i will rush my set up and try and kill it. usually trying to out drive everyone. and always on this drivable par4 we have on my home course i drove it 2 times and since i always try and kill it there thinking if i hit it harder i will get there lol

Originally Posted by spam

losing the ball right I'm guessing that was my problem. i still will lose it right but not near as bad as before and that is usually cause i will rush my set up and try and kill it. usually trying to out drive everyone. and always on this drivable par4 we have on my home course i drove it 2 times and since i always try and kill it there thinking if i hit it harder i will get there lol

Just got a chance to try it out.  I went in with pretty low expectations and I must say I was blown away... I had a lesson so I only got about 15 driver swings in and I hit literally every single one straight and long... Got more loft than I'm used to.  Video may have just taken a couple strokes off my next round

keep working at it and glad i could help with a good video. its crazy how much just the set up change can straighten us out lol. its all the swing right lmao. i would have never thought the set up had so much to do with the swing until i watched this video. now i just have to take the time every time to practice this setup.

Well the reason we tee the ball up on a driver is because it has a deep face, also the face has is not flat, its domed. This means there is less loft bellow the center of the clubface, and more loft higher on the clubface.

Also, he's partially right, but the swing does change through out the set. A driver swing will be slightly more flat than a long iron, and progresses down to the wedge having the most upright swing. This is why the lie angle changes per club.

though his tip is an interesting one. Its kinda the old tip that you look ahead of the golf ball, so you irons hit the ball first. I do like his idea of placing the clubhead behind the ball, its not a bad idea. I do see a lot of people get in trouble with how there body's aim, myself included. I get in trouble aiming to far right.

One way around this as well, keep your shoulders the square, but just move your left hand more forward, almost like a little more forward press.

Also, i think if you preset a bit of weight forward as well, and just keep more forward, not letting your head move that can help as well.

Yea, i think hitting up on the ball, and just the driver being the driver bothers golfers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="nick1998bunker" url="/t/69393/step-by-step-driving-help-needed#post_889896"] i bet you are flipping at it as you say you hit other clubs good and your inconsistant. if it is offf you left foot which it should be then just close your eyes and imagine its a pw and pull the trigger   [/QUOTE] its probably mostly mental is what i was saying

I don't see many 'pop-up' shots  but when i do, they are always mine. Years ago, when really bad, once hit a drive that went up and back over the 3 of us on the tee box. Very ugly.

Will try this decoy idea but only on the practice. Would be a penalty on the course. Will also say that my own idea for hitting shots off the mat (my only option) esp with woods and hybrids is to place  ball 1 or 2 inches from the rubber tee. Ball closer to me, then a few inches and the rubber tee. What this does for me is to keep my from going over the top coz if i do go over the top, boom!  Hit the rubber tee every time. Of course, avoiding the rubber tee also means that i am swinging inside out and NOT outside in.

Note: This thread is 3883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!