IGNORED

Opening club face at takeaway is helping my shot?

xsv345
Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I recently picked golf back up and my swing was decent enough to at least constantly hook the ball and sometimes have a perfect draw. So one day I just decided to slow my swing down and perform a neutral grip instead of a strong one to help hit straighter. In result I started massively slicing the ball to the point where something went terribly wrong with my swing and would constantly shank the ball. I know exactly every time i'm going to shank the ball now just from my takeaway. It feels like the club wants to to twist in my hand, as if it wants to close at the takeaway. Almost as if the club head is to heavy if that makes sense. It always results in a shank. It happens mostly with my longer clubs (6iron,5,4,3,3wood) except driver but even driver is a terrible slice it feels like ball is coming back to smack me in the face.
So anyways I started fanning the club face open at takeaway or rolling writs or whatever you call it. it looks terribly wrong but my takeaway feels incredibly smooth and the ball for the most part goes perfectly straight. It also usually creates more of a baseball style swing.

So with all that said, I dont want to have to swing the club like that to hit the ball straight, it interferes with my short game and i never had to do this to hit the ball straight. As bad as it sounds i would rather go back to hooking the ball.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Iv probably watched every grip lesson on you tube. Im pretty much stuck to settling with swinging a sward at this moment.

I'd advise against building this movement into your golf swing.  You do want to keep your right elbow soft and close to your side, but not at the cost of losing the club inside and your hands way outside.  I'd work on pitch shots and half swings, focusing on keeping your biceps close to your chest.

This will promote body turn and eliminate the requirement to manipulate the club with your hands.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a moderately strong grip.  Too weak a grip can cause a variety of issues in your swing however.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

So I think I figured out how to make my takeaway smooth without opening the club face. Instead of trying to pull the club back, I now focus on trying to get my left arm/hand under the club in more of a pushing motion. That might sound weird but I think gravity was working against me in a way effecting the way the club was being brought back, ultimately altering the club face.

Sounds like a good start.  Remember, swing the grip, not the clubhead.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

I heard Nick Faldo say this once, and it really resonated with me.

It's easy to 'swing' the clubhead with minimal shoulder and body turn by manipulating the wrists.  Focusing on 'swinging the grip/handle' keeps the arms and body together on the takeaway and follow through.

There's also a Sandtrap thread on a book by Eddie Merrins related to the concept.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/19042/swing-the-handle-not-the-clubhead-by-eddie-merrins

so would you say that most of what im grabbing the grip with is my fingers or my hands. In other words is most of the pressure thas being squeezed against the grip in my fingers or hands?

I'm not quite sure I follow your question.

Although I don't know the answer, I believe what he is trying to say is as follows:

Imagine picking up a coke can. It is being gripped by more of your palm/hand than with your fingers.

Imagine picking up a duffle bag off of the ground by the straps/handles. You grab it with your fingers.

In turn; should he be gripping the club like a coke can, or a duffle bag?

Its funny this comes up because last night I saw a quick tip during a commercial on the Golf Channel. Someone explained putter grip in this exact manner.

He said he likes to grip his putter with more of his fingers than hand because of increased sensitivity and connection to the club.

just my 2c

Edit: found a link to the video I'm talking about

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-channel-academy-brad-faxon-finger-grip-putting-tip-082013/

Originally Posted by Heisenberg

Although I don't know the answer, I believe what he is trying to say is as follows:

Imagine picking up a coke can. It is being gripped by more of your palm/hand than with your fingers.

Imagine picking up a duffle bag off of the ground by the straps/handles. You grab it with your fingers.

In turn; should he be gripping the club like a coke can, or a duffle bag?

Its funny this comes up because last night I saw a quick tip during a commercial on the Golf Channel. Someone explained putter grip in this exact manner.

He said he likes to grip his putter with more of his fingers than hand because of increased sensitivity and connection to the club.

just my 2c

Edit: found a link to the video I'm talking about

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-channel-academy-brad-faxon-finger-grip-putting-tip-082013/

That is exactly what im asking.

In general, you should hold the club loosely, in your fingers.

Sometimes I find that if I set up with my stance line a little open to the target and the club face pointing ever so slightly to the right. I am fairly certain that I am then squared up by the time I reach impact   It also aids in swinging out to first base (which in reality is not happening). Holding the club a little loosely also helps. I can almost feel the grip sort of pivoting  up against my right index finger and there are callouses there. Don't know if its right or not, but it does work.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is my swing so you guys can see. I know my back swing is completely wrong and it looks like im aiming way right. That is a 7iron btw and the shot was about 10 yards short of the green. On target but a bad shot.

http://tinypic.com/r/f0pu6h/5

Originally Posted by xsv345

Here is my swing so you guys can see. I know my back swing is completely wrong and it looks like im aiming way right. That is a 7iron btw and the shot was about 10 yards short of the green. On target but a bad shot.

http://tinypic.com/r/f0pu6h/5

if you are insisting on posting your swing in other than members swings, you should at least use a proper camera angle, provide "caddie view" as well as DTL view. That way you might get some constructive criticism. Also check the archives for some great info on how to use camera angles, alignment sticks, e.t.c.  By doing this, you will provide yourself (and others) with a convenient way of tracking your progress and comparison.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!