IGNORED

How do I make sure I break 85 in a high school match tomorrow?

islandersfan1
Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am playing at an away course, which includes 9 holes that I shot a 39 on once, last year..  I am coming off a very bad round, the worst round of my life, where I shot a 107.  I know that if we want to win, then I need to have a much better round than yesterday.  The best round I shot so far was I believe high 80s, like 87.  But I know, if I can get everything to go right, and not make any three putts, than I KNOW I can break 85.  The biggest problem my last match was my putting.  I was three putting many holes.. Also, my drive was slicing (btw, I hit a 3-wood off of the tee).  All of last week, me and my coach focused on getting rid of my slice, and I did it, with a few of his tips.. And I guess I just fell back into my bad habits... But I know that I can have a great round, if I get off to a good start and keep my foot on the pedal.  The slice and the putting is what I can do to shoot low, but my biggest problem last hole was a bad start that had me trying to drop strokes as I was 5 over on the third.  I am usually much better on the back, (that was the 9 I shot a 39) and I know if I can play two back nines, than I can and I will shoot a good round.  But how do I do that? Thanks.

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six, and write down five".

Paul Harvey

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

!st of all it is great that you are playing high school golf.  Relax! you will not change the world  how ever you play enjoy!  Swing 80 % off the tee every time accuracy is important not distance.  As for putting take a nice smooth breath before you look at your line then see the line and hit the putt! Golf is all about being relaxed and confident! Good Luck!

It looks as though you already have one of the two problems you listed (slicing and putting) fixed. That's good and you should feel confident in the tips your coach provided you with.

When I am putting, I know that my 3-putts drastically rise when I get tense start squeezing my putting like it's a snake trying to kill me. The only two things about my putting stroke that I will focus on is a light grip and keeping my lower body frozen. When I do both of those it really helps me on both lag putts and short putts.

Speed is paramount as your line depends on the speed you hit the putt. Instead of figuring out your speed before your line or vice versa, imagine the golf ball rolling into the hole. What path does it take and how fast does it roll into the hole? Try to replicate the stroke that would create the putt you saw in your mind's eye with one or two practice strokes, then line up along the path the golf ball took and roll the putt. Don't hit it, roll it. It's always easier for me when I do it this way, because I've already "made" my putt multiple times and watched it go into the hole.

Originally Posted by Pretzel

It looks as though you already have one of the two problems you listed (slicing and putting) fixed. That's good and you should feel confident in the tips your coach provided you with.

When I am putting, I know that my 3-putts drastically rise when I get tense start squeezing my putting like it's a snake trying to kill me. The only two things about my putting stroke that I will focus on is a light grip and keeping my lower body frozen. When I do both of those it really helps me on both lag putts and short putts.

Speed is paramount as your line depends on the speed you hit the putt. Instead of figuring out your speed before your line or vice versa, imagine the golf ball rolling into the hole. What path does it take and how fast does it roll into the hole? Try to replicate the stroke that would create the putt you saw in your mind's eye with one or two practice strokes, then line up along the path the golf ball took and roll the putt. Don't hit it, roll it. It's always easier for me when I do it this way, because I've already "made" my putt multiple times and watched it go into the hole.

Thanks, and that should help me tomorrow.  It's a good way to view a long putt, and a short one for that matter... Thanks, and because I've played there a couple of times, I know the speed of the greens which should help.  Thanks..

Paul Harvey

It looks as though you already have one of the two problems you listed (slicing and putting) fixed. That's good and you should feel confident in the tips your coach provided you with. When I am putting, I know that my 3-putts drastically rise when I get tense start squeezing my putting like it's a snake trying to kill me. The only two things about my putting stroke that I will focus on is a light grip and keeping my lower body frozen. When I do both of those it really helps me on both lag putts and short putts.  Speed is paramount as your line depends on the speed you hit the putt. Instead of figuring out your speed before your line or vice versa, imagine the golf ball rolling into the hole. What path does it take and how fast does it roll into the hole? Try to replicate the stroke that would create the putt you saw in your mind's eye with one or two practice strokes, then line up along the path the golf ball took and roll the putt. Don't hit it, roll it. It's always easier for me when I do it this way, because I've already "made" my putt multiple times and watched it go into the hole.

Totally agree with all of Pretzels advice. Light grip on putter and don't let your hips turn or your speed will never be consistent. Also like Pretzel said you've worked on preventing the slice and your putting so what do you have to worry about? Just go out and play the course...believe me, no one cares what you're doing they're too busy worried about how they're doing. Good Luck!

Thanks.. my putting was pretty good for the most part... I made most two putts a couple of 1s and two 3s from just impossible locations.. Thanks... My drives weren't good, but I had a great iron game.. Thanks.

Paul Harvey

Hey you beat the 107 you feared might duplicate itself. You improved your putting. Sounds like driving let you down and that's fixable. Good luck next tourney.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Originally Posted by TJBam

Islandersfan1- is that the TAMUCC Islanders?

No, New York...

Paul Harvey

Originally Posted by RandallT

Hey you beat the 107 you feared might duplicate itself. You improved your putting. Sounds like driving let you down and that's fixable. Good luck next tourney.

Thanks.

Paul Harvey

Go Islanders!

That's all.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by islandersfan1

Oh and a 92 I shot.. Ehh, I'll take it......

You completely blew it. Just know you let your teammates, your coaches, your parents, your friends and your school down. Good luck sleeping at night with that on your conscience

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!