IGNORED

2013 Barclay's Championship Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

I'm sorry you've had back issues, but I think your correlation between your injuries and anyone else is weak. Who knows the extent of your injury compared to Tigers. If Tiger's pain was exactly like yours (which you have no clue if it was), then your argument would hold water. But you have no clue...

OK, I have no clue what the extent of Tiger's pain is.  That is 100% correct.  But Neither does anybody else besides Tiger ... agreed?  So what seems like a more reasonable conclusion then:

"I've had back pain before and his reactions look pretty legit to me, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume - because I have absolutely zero evidence to the contrary - that he is really in a lot of pain."

Or

"I had back pain 30 years ago that was so excrutiating that I would not have been able to play golf, therefore, there is no way that Tiger Woods could be playing golf right now because his wince looked just like my winces 30 years ago, therefore, he is acting like his pain is the same is mine, but it can't be because I wasn't able to play golf then, therefore it is a fact that he is hamming it up for the cameras because, as we all know, Tiger is well known for caring deeply what we all think of him, which is why he is so forthcoming during interviews after rounds, and why he never throws his clubs or curses on camera and why EVERY SINGLE TIME he hits a poor shot he acts like he had an injury."

I'm going to go way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and guess that a majority of people are going to choose option A.  Now, perhaps we should move on .......

Originally Posted by Crim

It's sad that Adam Scott's win has been overshadowed by another Tiger debate.

Fair enough.

Although, besides Adam Scott, I think the more interesting story is whether guys Like Camilo Villegas (110 last week/100 now), Stuart Appleby (123/96), Martin Kaymer (103/90) will be able to continue playing well enough to jump up into the top 70 so they can keep playing.  I don't really understand the Fedex Cup points, so I have no idea how hard or easy it is to jump a bunch of spots in one week, but it's fun to watch.  (Looks like, at a quick glance, that Gary Woodland managed to catapult himself from 60 to 10 last week, and I can only imagine that he was way down there prior to his win in Tahoe (I think?) a couple of weeks prior.)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Fair enough.

Although, besides Adam Scott, I think the more interesting story is whether guys Like Camilo Villegas (110 last week/100 now), Stuart Appleby (123/96), Martin Kaymer (103/90) will be able to continue playing well enough to jump up into the top 70 so they can keep playing.  I don't really understand the Fedex Cup points, so I have no idea how hard or easy it is to jump a bunch of spots in one week, but it's fun to watch.  (Looks like, at a quick glance, that Gary Woodland managed to catapult himself from 60 to 10 last week, and I can only imagine that he was way down there prior to his win in Tahoe (I think?) a couple of weeks prior.)

For real, I don't know how the Fedex Cup points work either except that the winner gets 2500 points if he wins a playoff tournament. Is there a breakdown somewhere of what others get?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

For real, I don't know how the Fedex Cup points work either except that the winner gets 2500 points if he wins a playoff tournament. Is there a breakdown somewhere of what others get?

I found it! ... http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-overview.html

You'll gain a minimum of 1000 points on the field if you win a playoff event.  And you'll gain at least 2000 points on anybody who doesn't finish in the top 6.  Of course, Tiger and AS have a big lead on the field, so they can afford a small slip up ... a lot more than anybody else.  The difference between 100th place and 3rd place right now is barely more than 2500 points, however, the difference between 3rd and 1st is another 1500.

Also, it looks like they reset the points just prior to the Championship so the lead Tiger and Adam have on everybody else would be rendered virtually irrelevant.

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

Not sure if that's true, would have to do the math, but...

Just to be clear to those who might not have checked out that link, they aren't all reset to zero - each player gets their points reset based on the standings at the time.

If the points were not reset in some way, someone could win it all without even playing in the last tournament (if they had a big enough lead). I think that happened in the early years of the Cup, so they've tweaked it since then to try to find a balance between that, and still rewarding those with more points going into the final tournament.

Also, with the current system anyone in the last tournament has a mathematical chance of winning the cup. (Which I guess adds some excitement.)  However the top 5 control their own destiny in that if any of them win the final, they win the cup regardless of how well anyone else plays.

There's a thread or two somewhere discussing the pros and cons of the system - might be of interest.

Bill

It's sad that Adam Scott's win has been overshadowed by another Tiger debate.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/82194/] CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75 [/URL]

If Adam keeps playing like he has this year maybe someday we will talk about him... For the time being, I am watching Tiger and history being made.

Yeah, if one of the guys in 2nd-5th place wins then they'll win the whole thing.  Looks like if you're in the top 5 and you win at East Lake, you win the Cup no matter what else happens.

The only way for the guy in 30th place to win the whole thing is for the points leader to come in dead last, the guy in 2nd place to finish lower than 7th, 3rd to finish lower than 4th, 4th to finish lower than 3rd, and 5th and 6th to finish lower than 2nd.  A longshot, to say the least.

EDIT:  Sorry ... I was slow in writing this so it looks like I basically copied what sacm said. ;)

Yes, in the same way that if you sweep both the ALDS and ALCS and don't allow a single run, you can still lose the World Series.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

They changed it because in a couple of cases the winner of the cup was known before the final event.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Didn't Rory basically do that last year?  Meaning, win a couple early playoff events and then lose even though he appeared rather dominant throughout that stretch?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator

Phan (who won't see this post unless he logs out, I suppose) is now out, primarily for repeatedly calling fellow members "delusional" and changing his story from "fact" to (irrelevant) opinion, etc. But mostly for calling people names and acting like everyone else is an idiot except him, even if he never used the word "idiot" specifically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Darn phanboys.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by iacas

Phan (who won't see this post unless he logs out, I suppose) is now out, primarily for repeatedly calling fellow members "delusional" and changing his story from "fact" to (irrelevant) opinion, etc. But mostly for calling people names and acting like everyone else is an idiot except him, even if he never used the word "idiot" specifically.

Good!!!! I never did like that guy, always starting trouble. Cya Phan, don't let the door slap you in the rear.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Good!!!! I never did like that guy, always starting trouble. Cya Phan, don't let the door slap you in the rear.

Ummm...he just posted 1 minute ago in another thread.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Motley01

He's just out of this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!