IGNORED

What are some of the most annoying golfers out there?

ccRichard
Note: This thread is 2539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 members have voted

1. 1. The Worst Type of Golfer

• The Wannabe Pro
    • The Slow Golfer
    • The Vice-Ridden (Excuses, excuses, excuses)
    • The Rageaholic
    • The Cheater
    • The Distracter

Originally Posted by flintcreek6412

But the 25HC that takes 6 practice swings on his drive just to slice it OB drives me nuts.

This made me laugh, very true.

Slow players are probably the most annoying, especially the guys that wander around looking for their ball out in the middle of the junk while a group is on the tee box waiting to hit.  Drop or suck less, the choice is yours.

Also, I ran in to one of the most annoying things I've ever seen during a round a couple weeks ago.  Another solo player and I got paired with a couple other guys for the back 9 of a round and 1 of the guys in the twosome clipped his iphone on the dash of his cart and blasted music out of it the entire time.  It sounded like crap because it was coming out of a cellphone speaker and it was annoying because nobody could concentrate if the cart was anywhere nearby.  The guy who owned the phone was a jackhole and would pout and fake rage every time he hit a crappy shot which made the experience even worse.  If this happened more often I would say this type of player is the worst but like I said I've never seen this before so I think it was basically a fluke.

For some reason this playing music thing is becoming more widespread. I had never ran into it before but I've noticed it a few times recently.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For some reason this playing music thing is becoming more widespread. I had never ran into it before but I've noticed it a few times recently.

Two of my buddies play music. Doesn't bother me, but neither does talking or other background noise. I can see how it could distract others though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Two of my buddies play music. Doesn't bother me, but neither does talking or other background noise. I can see how it could distract others though.....

It's not that it distracts me it's just that it's probably not the most polite thing to do on a golf course considering even talking during someone's swing is frowned upon.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 3 years later...

What category does the guy who tries to tell you what your doing wrong (even tho his handicap is a lot higher than yours) come under? I play off 4 and get people playing off 19 trying to tell me what shots i should be playing, like trying to drive a green over trees rather than hitting an iron onto the fairway then taking my chances with my 2nd shot. So frustrating !!!

I vote for the slowpoke, rageaholic, wont shut up dude.All three can cause my game problems putting up with that. You can cheat, make excuses all day long and thats your problem but when your taking all day and having a hissy fit all day then your hurting my game.

The vice ridden/pro wannabe supposedly had a card all rolled into one. Always b!tchn about this or that, easily distracted even by gnat farts. They always talk about the A game they had over the weekend but never shoot lights out during the regular men's group round. Never. 

Edited by chilepepper

I voted the slow golfer.  That's the worst.  Nothing else people I play with that are strangers can do will annoy or bother me except slow.  Talk is talk if you're a never ending talker ok.  

3 practice swings and then a skull I just can't take.  Play your shot make your swing and move on that's all.

many of my co workers golf and are poor but none are slow so it's all good.  One old timer kind of trained them on this.

To me the main thing is be ready when it's your turn.  Espescially on the greens.  I have zero trouble with people shooting 110 and losing balls all over when I play at all if they keep moving and are pretty much addressing it as the person in front of them taps or marks.

When you hit into the gorse accept it drop one and keep going.  If you get to nine on a hole pickup.  

One engineer I play with is true scratch and a big hitter and will still play with me because when I get to my turn I am ready and play.  It does not take this guy long for nine.  Most of his time is walking right down the middle.  I play efficiently and he's a bit faster than me so when I play with him I respect him.

I've picked up a few times playing with him when it made sense in the past.  No skin off my nose.  If I skull a sand shot into a hazard while he's waiting for a six footer I am not going to force him to watch me cross the green take my drop pitch on and putt.  I will say whoops and go ahead let's keep going.

Making Everyone wait while you are shooting mid nineties and looking forever for your ball is not acceptable.

Watch your ball and if after a cursory look you can't find it drop one and play on.  No one expects you to rush your shot just be ready to hit your shot when it's time.  If you lose a lot of balls come stocked up and ready to drop.

If you are ready to play when it's your turn no one will ever have a problem imo.

Even the most annoying does us all a favor just by being there. Their monies spent help keep our green fees lower. 

On the flip side, instead of letting them annoy you, look at them as entertainment. Once a golfer becomes annoyed, that golfer has lost a little of their mental/physical game. The annoyance wins. It's a lot easier to stay in one's game while being entertained. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The course I play most is a muni in a nice area and there's a lot of weird stuff you run into.

As long as someone is not wasting my time I really don't care what they do.

Golf is a game where you really only need to focus for little snippets of time while you play.

Edited by Jack Watson

On 8/23/2013 at 6:32 PM, newtogolf said:

I voted Distractor and Slow Golfer since both of these guys has an impact on my play.  The others tend to me more entertaining than annoying to me.  One guy I played a few rounds with last year would always wait until you were about to hit the ball to clear his throat.  It wasn't a quiet throat clearing either, it was one of those a public speaker uses to get the attention of his audience.

He claims he has some allergy or condition that causes him to clear his throat so often which I understand, but it was his perfect timing that was so annoying.  It happened so often that I actually had anxiety standing over the ball trying to anticipate him clearing his throat so it wouldn't affect my swing.

I probably would say something along the lines of "now would be the time to clear your throat Bob" right as I was standing up from placing my tee in the ground. That would address it in a way that makes him aware you know what he's doing, he can at least be polite. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

On 8/25/2013 at 7:01 PM, nevets88 said:

The guy who gives you no space

So you're taking your shot and he either drives or walks up and plops himself in right in front of you. Like close talkers. I understand if the teeing area is tight, but there's the whole golf course available to you. Give your partners some breathing room. I live in an high density population area although nothing like Hong Kong or Tokyo and even though I'm used to having no space, on a golf course, there's plenty of it and getting up close and personal where there's so much space. Come on.

Yep... The guy who stands *directly* behind me (DTL) on the tee box. Ugh!! 

It's a toss up between the "putting is the most important thing" and "whats wrong with that shot?" after thinning a short iron getting 2 lucky bounces and ending up 10ft to the pin...

I voted for the slow golfer, which is the most annoying thing to me, especially when you give him hints as to what he could do to speed things up a bit and he just ignores all of it.

Since multiple choices were possible, I also voted for the rage-aholic, especially when he starts throwing clubs. Some of the rage filled tirades can actually be funny so as long as his burst is over quickly I can tolerate, but some people are raging all day long. Sometimes I finally say "you (or 'we') are not good enough to be that upset". It usually calms them down for a bit.

I didn't select it, but the third worst for me wouldbe the Distractor: show me some courtesy and shut your clapper when i am ready to swing, please. I don't need full silence for a minute, but don't start talking or making a loud noise in my backswing. 

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I voted for the slow golfer because waiting can really disturb the tempo of a round for me and that leaks into my swing eventually. I can pretty much ignore the rest, as long as the cheaters aren't distorting tournament results too much.

One other type of player that can get on my nerves is the inveterate putt giver. The type that hits a putt past the hole and rakes it back before it stops, walks slowly up to the hole waiting for someone to say his putt is good, knocks other players' putts back without giving them a chance to putt, gives you a 3 footer early so you'll feel guilty it you don't do the same, etc. It's not really the cheating that gets to me, although it can bother me if it's a match that matters. It just bugs me that putting becomes some awkward social transaction instead of part of the game. (And it's a pretty important part, too.)

Charles P.

:cobra: Fly-Z, Paderson shaft. :callaway: 15o XR, steelhead XR 6-PW. :adams: 16o fairway, 3 & 4 hybrids. :titleist: Vokey 48o, 52o, & 58o.  :odyssey:Toulon San Diego AR.

Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.

I voted for the rageaholic because he's probably slow too. Sh*t fits take time you know.:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I voted for the rageaholic because he's probably slow too. Sh*t fits take time you know.:-P

I got paired with a couple old(er) guys today. Good dudes, but on #13 one of them had a bump and run near green. He took 9 iron and putter and let his cart buddy go off to his ball. Duffs it in green side bunker, double duffs  trying to get out. Gets pissed, slams club facing opposite direction, whacks ball out of trap into a backyard. Throws club further than his first two trap attempts.  :dance:  This came out of nowhere, was funny though; had he played his third sand shot to green he would have been out. Next hole on approach (3rd shot) he duffs it and pounds club in ground but he was fine after that. Golf can get the best of anyone. Still a good guy, was just funny how it came out of nowhere. 

I regularly play against a guy that doesn't fall into any of these categories, but I dearly want to sink my putter into the depths of his skull. 

He only has to be walking towards the general direction of the tee and if anyone makes any sort of noise he shouts "quiet at the tee please". If you dare stand forward one inch of him when he is going to hit the ball he shouts some sort of obscenity. What makes it worse is that he is a really bad golfer !! 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Note: This thread is 2539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!