IGNORED

I saw a guy using 2 balls on the course

GITrDONE
Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw one guy golfing a particular hole and noticed 2 balls on the fairway. He came up to them and struck them both and continued on. He was obviously playing both balls.

Wondering where this falls on golfing etiquette

He was by himself and it was not very busy at all at a new course that only has 9 holes finished

I think he was a beginner and so am I and I would like to do the same thing if it's somewhat acceptable

I see it all the time. Get twice as many swings in for the same trip so its good practice. As long as your not holding up the group behind you and the facility doesn't complain, go for it.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I do it if theres no one behind me. Good practise

Ping Si3 8* Stiff
Titleist 906 F2 15* Steel Stiff
Titleist 906 F2 18* Steel Stiff
Taylormade RAC LT Rifle 6.0
Callaway X Tour 54, 60Yes! Tracy

As long as there is no one behind him (hence slowing down play), I don't see this being a problem. He could be practicing which is the best way to simulate actual on-course conditions.
In my Sun Mountain Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad 10.5°
3 wood: TaylorMade R7 Steel
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 2i(18*), 3i(20*)Irons: Titleist Ap2Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50* Oil Can & 54* SMPutter: Odyssey Black Series #1 / Ping Piper I-Series

If its slow and I am alone I will play two balls. I play really fast so i can play 18 in under 3 using two ball. Your getting double the play.
If its not slow then I will only use one ball.
Lawson

905R fujikura 27.5
X 15 degree
MP 60
Oil Can 53 & 56
Trusty Rusty 61 Circa 62 #6 pro v1

A retired teacher from my old high school is out on the course doing this a lot. It doesn't really matter because he is on when pretty much no one else is so there's nothing wrong with it really.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

I saw one guy golfing a particular hole and noticed 2 balls on the fairway. He came up to them and struck them both and continued on. He was obviously playing both balls.

This is very common. Personally I seldom hit two balls even if the course is very slow simply because I walk and don't want to hunt down two balls

Plus my first shot is always better than my first because I just go through the motions for the second shot. Anyways, I don't have a problem with it as long as you aren't holding anyone up. As you stated the course was slow so he was probably just getting some extra practice in. No worries there. If there is a group behind you and the course is busy you should never hit a second ball. That's annoying.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

It's basically like getting in two rounds of practice for the time and price of one. I usually do it for the first six or seven holes (when it's early in the morning and I'm playing alone) until I realise that I only have about four balls left and there are alot of water hazards left for me to negotiate on the course...

When no one is behind us and the course is slow me and my wife do this. I have at times just dropped a few balls and we tried those what if shots and we learned a lot from them to.

Irons Racs 3 thru 9
Woods R5 3 and 5
Driver R5 460 CC

That guy that hits my second shots is awesome! I hit my approach fat, then throw a ball down in disgust and hit it next to the pin. Happens all the time. Too bad they don't count.

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

I use 2 balls if there's no-one behind me and I've just hit a bad shot. I dont literally play 2 balls for the whole round.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

as the majority concensus is, as long as course traffic is light and the tee boxes aren't backed up, what's the problem, even better should you be playing by yourself.....I normally play 3 balls off the tee box when I play (by myself, and during the week) and play best ball from those....just for practice sakes though. .

I have at times just dropped a few balls and we tried those what if shots and we learned a lot from them to.

I do the same thing just too see if I had tried a particular shot what the outcome would be. I wouldn't play an entire rd with 2 balls but dropping one every now & then just for the hell of it is fun.

as the majority concensus is, as long as course traffic is light and the tee boxes aren't backed up, what's the problem, even better should you be playing by yourself.....I normally play 3 balls off the tee box when I play (by myself, and during the week) and play best ball from those....just for practice sakes though.

I read this off of a different board/forum for training/practice. I'm a golf mom, so I mentioned it to my son who decided to try it. One man scramble. Off the tee he'll play two balls, but he plays the worst ball. It's helped him learn how to get out of some tricky places. Now he only does this if the course is empty, and he can only stand doing it for about 6 to 8 holes. It gets a bit difficult, but he's learning how to handle those "oh My God" now what...shots.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

• 3 weeks later...

imho, if the course traffic is light and nobodies waiting on the tee box behind you, theres nothing wrong with hitting 2 balls, in fact I play 2 balls alot (if I'm by myself and traffic is light) and then play best ball after the 2 tee shots.

Generally some what frowned upon behaviour and most club rules explicitly forbid it. Additionally if you try this when the course is busy I'd expect to get an ear full of complaints from angry golfers following you. However, if its totally dead and you are out there by yourself I don't see it as such a big problem; just make sure you don't hold anybody up.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Me and my dad often play best ball against each other, which means playing two balls at each shot. It`s a very good way to train. But of course, we only play this way when there is no pressure on the course.

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!