IGNORED

Does this annoy anyone else as well?

tlstarkk
Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont know, ive always thought that if you can afford something, and you want it, but dont really need it, go for it, do whatever you want.  I still believe in this, but whenever i see people who are walking on the course for the first time playing golf and are playing lets say some rbz irons a brand new callaway diablo driver and odyssey putter and insist on playing the Pro V1, it irks me a little. So many people play the wrong equipment, or what the pros use.  I dont know i guess it is just an ego thing, or people just want the best.  I have only been playing golf for about 3-4 months now and i play pinemeadow/wilson/top flite clubs, cause i dont need any brand new z - Star irons or anything like that.  Im even thinking about playing a pink ladies ball for my match tomorrow.   i dont know, i guess what im just trying to say is, improve your game before you are buying a $4 dollar golf ball and you dont have to start worrying about those expensive taylormade clubs unless your are a lower handicap haha.

:wilson: Deep Red - Tour 12.0 Driver 

Pinemeadow - 15 Degree 3W 

Pinemeadow - 23 Degree 4 Hy

:titleist: DCI Oversize + Black - 4-PW

:tarmour: 845s Silver Scot - SW

:dunlop: Tour TP11 - LW

:cleve: Classic Collection HB 10.0 Satin Chrome - Putter

:wilson_staff: Feather SL Black Stand Bag

I dont know, ive always thought that if you can afford something, and you want it, but dont really need it, go for it, do whatever you want.  I still believe in this, but whenever i see people who are walking on the course for the first time playing golf and are playing lets say some rbz irons a brand new callaway diablo driver and odyssey putter and insist on playing the Pro V1, it irks me a little. So many people play the wrong equipment, or what the pros use.  I dont know i guess it is just an ego thing, or people just want the best.  I have only been playing golf for about 3-4 months now and i play pinemeadow/wilson/top flite clubs, cause i dont need any brand new z - Star irons or anything like that.  Im even thinking about playing a pink ladies ball for my match tomorrow.   i dont know, i guess what im just trying to say is, improve your game before you are buying a $4 dollar golf ball and you dont have to start worrying about those expensive taylormade clubs unless your are a lower handicap haha.:dance:

Nope doesn't bother me at all. Where do you think all those expensive clubs end up after a year? EBay...and that's where I buy my expensive clubs for about 1/4 of regular price.

Personally, I could care less what the other guy is playing. Sure, I see what's in the bag at the first tee- but I get a much better idea of how he plays by his attitude before the first ball is hit. If he's bagging TM RBZ's and an R1, then heads to the middle tees and looks for a tee that was left by someone else.... well, then he's trying to save money after spending to much for clubs he couldn't afford in the first place. And will spend the rest of the day trolling the edges of the fairways looking for balls as well. Which, in addition, will mean that he's thinking about finding balls, looking for tees, and trying not to lose his own balls so his game will be sh!t....

With affording it being the key, it doesn't bother me at all for a newbie to want the best equipment. That should, but too often doesn't, mean properly fit equipment.

Unfortunately way too many think a name brand, or worse yet getting exactly the same equipment as the "good" players is what is right for them.

Funniest example I saw of that was when one of the guys at our course that probably doesn't have much more that 80 mph club head speed went and bought a driver with the same brand, loft, and shaft as the longest hitter at our course.

After watching him try (and fail) to hit it time after time I asked him why he bought that particular club. He said "Well it has to be a good club because Shane kills it with his."

SMH!!!

Equipment that fits is what is important. Not the name stamped on it.

Honestly, you sound a bit jealous or insecure.

I have never paid attention to what anyone else plays and probably never will.

I've been playing with the same guys for years and I still dont know whose wedge I am picking up when we walk off of the green.

The only time their equipment bothers me is when someone else in my group plays a yellow srixon - i play yellow so can i tell while driving up that it is my ball - one joker will play one once in awhile to attempt to get under my skin.

• Upvote 2

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tlstarkk

I dont know, ive always thought that if you can afford something, and you want it, but dont really need it, go for it, do whatever you want.  I still believe in this, but whenever i see people who are walking on the course for the first time playing golf and are playing lets say some rbz irons a brand new callaway diablo driver and odyssey putter and insist on playing the Pro V1, it irks me a little. So many people play the wrong equipment, or what the pros use.  I dont know i guess it is just an ego thing, or people just want the best.  I have only been playing golf for about 3-4 months now and i play pinemeadow/wilson/top flite clubs, cause i dont need any brand new z - Star irons or anything like that.  Im even thinking about playing a pink ladies ball for my match tomorrow.   i dont know, i guess what im just trying to say is, improve your game before you are buying a $4 dollar golf ball and you dont have to start worrying about those expensive taylormade clubs unless your are a lower handicap haha.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with meenman here, otherwise I don't know why you'd care what other people play.  More importantly, regarding the bold ... you are incorrect.  A vast majority of the most expensive clubs are made specifically for higher handicappers!

I dont know, ive always thought that if you can afford something, and you want it, but dont really need it, go for it, do whatever you want.  I still believe in this, but whenever i see people who are walking on the course for the first time playing golf and are playing lets say some rbz irons a brand new callaway diablo driver and odyssey putter and insist on playing the Pro V1, it irks me a little. So many people play the wrong equipment, or what the pros use.  I dont know i guess it is just an ego thing, or people just want the best.  I have only been playing golf for about 3-4 months now and i play pinemeadow/wilson/top flite clubs, cause i dont need any brand new z - Star irons or anything like that.  Im even thinking about playing a pink ladies ball for my match tomorrow.   i dont know, i guess what im just trying to say is, improve your game before you are buying a $4 dollar golf ball and you dont have to start worrying about those expensive taylormade clubs unless your are a lower handicap haha.:dance:

I think I see where you're coming from. I feel like other beginning kids should start off with a MaxFli special from Dicks as well. Some parents spend $1000 for your aforementioned clubs before knowing if the kids will play longer than one season. Yes, this is somewhat catering to the spoiled kid type. No reason to be jealous, though. I told my kids just to learn to play really well with the kids sets and they can buy the other kid's sets when they give up golf in a few months or a year. Sure enough, after a year they got some equipment from them, and some specials from Dicks. Brand new clubs for 1/3 the price. No reason to have the latest.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by MS256

With affording it being the key, it doesn't bother me at all for a newbie to want the best equipment. That should, but too often doesn't, mean properly fit equipment. ...

A few realities...

• Some golf shops help out new golfers, others just sell them high $$ equipment because the newbies are told it will make them play better. Give the newbies a break - they don't know any better. The properly fitting i s key, at least for a basic, static fitting.
  • Hate to say this, but some golfers are snobs. If these newbies are going to have to play golf with monied business associates, their pals steer them away from Pine Mountain - or even TopFlite boxed sets. The snobs would laugh at them if they showed up with gear not from the Big Seven (or so) club makers. This is a reality of hard-ball business circles.
  • And, the OP should make sure he's not jealous or envious of those with the fancy gear. If it'll make him feel better, he should clean up on them in a $10 Nassau.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I started off my son with just some old pinnacle balls.  No clubs at all.  He just hit it with his hands and when he got tired of bending over he just kicked it.  He is 24 now and the other day he told me "Daddy, why come I don't have nice clubs like Vechel and Lonnie".  I just gave him this look like "How the hell should I know!".

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Gilberg

I started off my son with just some old pinnacle balls.  No clubs at all.  He just hit it with his hands and when he got tired of bending over he just kicked it. and He is 24 now  the other day he told me "Daddy, why come I don't have nice clubs like Vechel and Lonnie".  I just gave him this look like "How the hell should I know!".

Ha ha!

Funny and could be true these days while he's living in your basement and not paying rent.

No don't stop them from playing Pro-V1's, its the only way i get to play them, when they loose the ball and i find it ;)

Seriously, i have about 6 Pro-V1's i found over the past two years, there in my bag.

So i say, Thank you average american golfer, who thinks there good enough to play Pro-V's

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I see what you are saying.  I think there is always some admiration for the guy who has crappy equipment but does really well at whatever.  So I guess the guy with super equipment who stinks would get the opposite of admiration - whatever that is.

Having said that, I play golf with different folks almost every weekend and I couldn't tell you what they play with. And other than knowing ProV's are expensive, I don't know what clubs or other balls even cost.

Originally Posted by saevel25

No don't stop them from playing Pro-V1's, its the only way i get to play them, when they loose the ball and i find it ;)

Seriously, i have about 6 Pro-V1's i found over the past two years, there in my bag.

So i say, Thank you average american golfer, who thinks there good enough to play Pro-V's

THIS!!!!! Yesterday during our league night I found 3, brand new Pro-V1's, just inside the rough. Found them all before the 5th hole and I played the last 4 with one of them! I love finding ProV's on the course....

Friday well playing 18 we were following a group of "Pro's" and we found 9... yes 9 TaylorMade Lethal that appeared to be hit only once. We knew which guy's the they were cause on one hole he over shot a green and it roller up by us on another hole and we showed him where it went. After the round they were still in the club house so I offered him his balls back and his group was cracking up. He said thanks and bought me a beer.... The guy doesn't play that much and didn't have any when he got to the course and had to buy them. He said he played the last 2 holes with one ball, the last one he had left!

THIS!!!!! Yesterday during our league night I found 3, brand new Pro-V1's, just inside the rough. Found them all before the 5th hole and I played the last 4 with one of them! I love finding ProV's on the course.... Friday well playing 18 we were following a group of "Pro's" and we found 9... yes 9 TaylorMade Lethal that appeared to be hit only once. We knew which guy's the they were cause on one hole he over shot a green and it roller up by us on another hole and we showed him where it went. After the round they were still in the club house so I offered him his balls back and his group was cracking up. He said thanks and bought me a beer.... The guy doesn't play that much and didn't have any when he got to the course and had to buy them. He said he played the last 2 holes with one ball, the last one he had left!

Then I bet it made him think about things.... and guess what, he didn't lose any on those 2 holes. It's like Trevino said (paraphrased) "Scared is making a $10 bet with $5 in your pocket" Show up with 24 balls and it's no big deal... show up with 3 and you better keep 'em in play.

I dont have the time or head space to worry about whats in the next man's golf bag. Just worry about your clubs and your game.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Here's the way I see it...

If the guy is truly interested in golf, he may have spent a ton of money on equipment, but now he's set for years instead of starting out with cheap crap and buying new clubs in a year or 2.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!