IGNORED

My journey to breaking 80.

Finley
Note: This thread is 3297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did 9... 40...  I couldn't do 18, but everything was going well..  2 birdies lipped out..  So a pretty good round considering I doubled number 1.  I'm looking at practicing Tuesday with tournaments Wednesday and Thursday.  There both away, but on courses I know, so I'm hoping I can get a little lucky...

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six, and write down five".

Paul Harvey

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was 1 up through six holes yesterday, and then shot 4 over on a Par 5 (somehow shanked and couldn't get it out of my head... my normal miss is a hook.  So when I shank, it really gets in my head for a hole or two), then bogey'd out that final two holes on the front for a 43.  On the back I had a string of three doubles, and finished the back with a 45.  Worst round in a while (especially considering it wasn't too difficult of a course... roughly a 71 rating and 120 slope)... bad day on the focus front.

Originally Posted by Brakkus

Had I played those well 80 isn't far off. Did Ben Hogan say once that any reasonably coordinated person should score 80 in golf?

It doesn't sound like something he would say, but then again I barely "know" him from whats available on the internet....

82 today.

Started on the back. 39. Hit 7/8 fairways. Hit 5/9 greens. 3 putted twice.. eerrrrr! 17 putts. 4 pars, 4 bogeys, 1 bird.

43 on the front. Hit 2/7 fairways. 2/9 greens. 15 putts. 2 doubles. 4 bogeys. 2 pars. 1 bird.

Started the turn with a double on a par 5. 180 out, hooked a 5 iron in some rough. Terrible lie. Next shot into a bunker. Poor bunker shot, bladed it. Chip, 2 putt, 7.

Next par 5, same thing happened. 180 out. Hooked the 5 iron into some nasty rough. Double. My two doubles came on par 5s.

Should have done it today. Played the par 5s at 5 over. I'm going to play them differently next time.

82 today.

Started on the back. 39. Hit 7/8 fairways. Hit 5/9 greens. 3 putted twice.. eerrrrr! 17 putts. 4 pars, 4 bogeys, 1 bird.

43 on the front. Hit 2/7 fairways. 2/9 greens. 15 putts. 2 doubles. 4 bogeys. 2 pars. 1 bird.

Started the turn with a double on a par 5. 180 out, hooked a 5 iron in some rough. Terrible lie. Next shot into a bunker. Poor bunker shot, bladed it. Chip, 2 putt, 7.

Next par 5, same thing happened. 180 out. Hooked the 5 iron into some nasty rough. Double. My two doubles came on par 5s.

Should have done it today. Played the par 5s at 5 over. I'm going to play them differently next time.

It's always something that jumps up to bite us, isn't it. Today it was errant 5-irons on par 5's. Next time, who knows... but keep at, Finley. You're back out there tomorrow, right? Same course? Play the easy one you mentioned! :-)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Well now you know how to play it next time...... But I went out and shot a 41 on 9.. Have a match tomorrow.. hope it can happen..

Paul Harvey

I, too, keep looking for the seemingly elusive breaking 80.  Have done it 1 time at my course.  My index is 7.8, my course hc is 9.  Par 72.  So, I've been shooting a bunch (10/20) rounds of either 80 or 81 which got the index down but am having trouble with the last couple of strokes.  ARRRRGGHHH!

If it's any consolation, I played a 3 Queens and 1 King tournament last week and shot a 78 - from the forward tees!

Mark

Mark in Colorado

Prestory: I'm excited because I think I can do it today, I'm energetic and I'm playing a course I have played many times before. I shot a 103. A 103. 103 (in case you didint get that). I'll try again tomorrow. It's a new day. Thats why I love golf. You fan move on another day....

Paul Harvey

Well...... 89 today. 43 followed by 46.

3 tee shots out of bounds... hitting 3 off the tee. Awesome.

I had 6 three putts! It was actually funny. 5 of those, the second putt just lipped out. It was quite the show.

My right wrist is aching for some reason. Off to work tomorrow. 4 days of rest will be good for it.

Good luck to those chasing the elusive 79. Fairways and two putts.

School book psychology tells us that caged rats, when offered choices for treats, might choose A) always, B) never or C) sometimes, to get the treat.  After one day the rats always choose C. Same with us. We never know when we will get the golf 'treat' and the reward of getting the treat  is so delicious that it overrides the costs or pains of all the failures. We have all had that 'impossible' putt up and over 2 green valleys, 87 feet away sneak into the hole: what a treat!  And we know that even Tiger could do no better.

Finley- that's 12 right there (3x 2 wasted OB + 6 putts). I smell 77! Islanders- tougher math for u. Get it next time. I once shot 81 after 98, I think. I have 9:15 tee time tmw. My turn to try to break the barrier.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'm jealous... I'm all pumped up reading this stuff and would like to reach mark with you guys. Unfortunately I won't get to play for another week or two due to mine, and my wife's work schedules. You guys seem a few mistakes away from hitting it... Other than the rounds today of course

Sorry I can't quote from a mobile but someone said that Ben Hogan might not have said that a reasonably co-ordinated golfer should score 80 if was committed to doing so. Not sure where I read that comment as I've read quite a few books now. Maybe its in his seminal golf book 5 fundamentals or I read it in The inner game of golf by Tim Gallwey. Anyway regardless you are what you think. Henry Ford once said if if you think you can do a thing you can do a thing. Don't quote me on the exact wording apologies if I have the source of these quotes wrong but attitude us more important than any natural talent you might have. Set your goal and achieve it come hell or high water. Its not radical just calmly assess your resources and potential obstacles and then chase that goal!

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Thanks tefunk you bailed me out:)

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 3297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!