IGNORED

Tall golfers using "standard" clubs.

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm tall, and according to charts I should be using clubs about 1" longer than "standard."  But I have been doing research and am wondering if it really matters.  First I want to go over what "standard" actually is.  Golf clubs have been increasing in length over the years because longer clubs give greater distance and sell better, but you also lose accuracy.  Different clubs also have different "standard" lengths.  For example, a lot of burner Irons are longer than what is typically standard.

From what I can gather, the biggest risk with using clubs that aren't properly fitted is that the lie will be off.  But I used my friends slightly shorter burner irons and the lie was fine.  So now the only issue is that I will be standing slightly closer to the ball than with my fitted clubs.  The difference is basically just like just using a PW instead of a 9 iron (minus the loft).  But I don't really see this as an issue?  It just means that I will probably have slightly less distance and slightly greater accuracy.  Right?

Anyone who was tall get custom fitted and notice a real difference?  I would like to get fitted again, but I can't for the discounted older versions of name brand clubs.

This might help

http://wishongolf.com/do-tall-people-always-need-longer-clubs-or-short-people-shorter-clubs/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!