IGNORED

Shaft question

Note: This thread is 6077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not exactly sure if indeed I should be using a stiffer shaft. But for some reason when I swing my driver I feel like the shaft is flexing too much. I'm using a stiff flex as it is. Best thing would be to try and get on a launch monitor right? How much do they usually charge at golf shops to do this?

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

It's free at the Golf Galaxy near me.

In my Grom CC bag
Driver: R580XD 10.5°
Woods: FX 3 and 5
Irons: Burner Oversize 5-9
Wedges: Burner Oversize PW & SW, Pinemeadow Tour Leader 60 °Putter: Pinemeadow BladeBall: D2 Straight

i see ur in MA...if there are golfers warehouses near you, they have vector monitors there and will put ur $50 from the launch monitor fitting towards the purchase of ur club/ or just shaft if that is what ur interested in. 100% worth it and after the fitting on the launch monitor id highly recomend takin whatevers suggested and hittin it at the range or maybe even playin around on demo. golfers warehouse is good about demos, usually let you take for a coupel days with no charge. my 2cents

keith

if you feel the shaft flexing too much, then you are probably swinging a club that is severely weak. Go have your swing checked, but I would be surprised that you can feel it that much unless the shaft is really whippy.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I think your shaft has STIFF flex but have a low bendpoint.

Get something STIFF and have a HIGH bendpoint (eg: Aldila NV).
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

where does the ball go when you hit it? does it ballon? that also a result of a weaker shaft.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

The flex of the shaft may not be the problem. I doubt you need a X shaft, but you never know until you hit a launch monitor. You may want to check into getting a shaft with a lower torque rating. This will take some of that "whippy" feel out of the club. If you ask me, the shaft is the most important part of any club, and it is in your best interests to try different shafts if you have a facility near you that has a fitting cart that allows them to quick change shafts.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

where does the ball go when you hit it? does it ballon? that also a result of a weaker shaft.

the ball balloon's a little bit, and for some reason has been slicing all the time. when i do slow my swing down a bit, i top the ball and send it zipping like 2ft above the turf.

In my stand Bag:

MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

i see ur in MA...if there are golfers warehouses near you, they have vector monitors there and will put ur $50 from the launch monitor fitting towards the purchase of ur club/ or just shaft if that is what ur interested in. 100% worth it and after the fitting on the launch monitor id highly recomend takin whatevers suggested and hittin it at the range or maybe even playin around on demo. golfers warehouse is good about demos, usually let you take for a coupel days with no charge. my 2cents

thats what I would do. My dad did it for all his clubs and was happy with the help.

not anymore... they stopped that, my brother just purchased a Nike Sumo from them after being fit on hotstiks and the 50 was not taken off the purchase price. they used to do that, I actually used that deal on my driver a couple of years ago

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

a Stiff shaft is enough for a swing speed 110-115 right? just need a higher bend point?

In my stand Bag:

not anymore... they stopped that, my brother just purchased a Nike Sumo from them after being fit on hotstiks and the 50 was not taken off the purchase price.

Most places like Golf Galaxy will let the price of the fitting go if you purchase the club from them the same day. If you are talking about HotStix, they do not fit for free. Most am's wouldnt even be able to benefit from a HotStix fitting. They are for tour caliber players, assuming you are meaning Hot Stix Golf.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

a Stiff shaft is enough for a swing speed 110-115 right? just need a higher bend point?

Depends on the manufacturer, for most companies 110+ is an X flex.

That being said, I think you should get fitted professionally (And I don't just mean having some inexperienced person at a big box store read you a launch monitor number) There is more to fitting a shaft than just the swing speed. Things like tempo and swing plane will also dictate what shaft is a good fit. Recent and past studies have shown that large % of golfers use shafts with the wrong flex. UST and True Temper also have little tools to help with fitting. They are not 100% but give you a great starting point.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would agree with the above. Launch monitor fitting would be akin to you having lost some weight, going into a store to buy some pants, getting the correct waist but not looking at the inseam length. There are many components to the shaft flex you need.

A clubmaker would be able to provide a much better fitting for you. Most clubfitters are also happy to provide fitting, and then pull the shaft from a commercial purchase and install one for you. This is where all those "brand new pull" shafts on ebay come from.

Hi-Bore W/ Aldila NVS-65 (Stiff)
R5 Type N (TpConv), W/ Graphite Design YS-6+ (Stiff)
TA-5 Gumetal 5-PW, W/ Stock TA-5 Graphite shafts (Stiff)
588 Becu SW, LW, GW W/ True Temper S300 shafts
21* & 24* Viper Hybrids W/ UST proforce 65 shafts (Reg) R7 Ti 3 Wood W/ Re-Ax 60 Graphite (Stiff) Pal2...

It's free at the Golf Galaxy near me.

I believe your speaking of the "Simulator". They charge for LM sessions. At least in my experience.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

The flex of the shaft may not be the problem. I doubt you need a X shaft, but you never know until you hit a launch monitor. You may want to check into getting a shaft with a

Torque is the amount a shaft will twist, generally from an off center strike. This shouldn't cause A WHIPPY feel.

-Landon

the ball balloon's a little bit,

It's been my experience that when a shaft is too SOFT the ball tends to HOOK. Too STIFF, FADE or SLICE.

-Landon

It's been my experience that when a shaft is too SOFT the ball tends to HOOK. Too STIFF, FADE or SLICE.

Prior to getting a driver with a Stiff shaft, I used a Regular flex.. and my slice was just as bad as it is now and what I was told was that since it was flexing so much because of my swing, my hands were getting too far in front of the clubhead causing somewhat of an open face at contact, thus exaggerating the slice. granted i have a slight out-in swing, but i haven't sliced the ball this much since the Regular flex i used.

In my stand Bag:

Note: This thread is 6077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!