IGNORED

Time to Quit?

Skenny
Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always been a probably-less-than-mediocre golfer  (Male, Age 55 ), but found some enjoyment on the course while compensating for a severe slice. A year or so ago, I decided to step up  my game, changed my grip, my swing, my set-up, my clubs, shoes, hat, glove, and everything else. There have been periods of improved play and distance, but accuracy has been less consistent for the most part (my slice was reliable).

Every time I think I have resolved something swing-wise, slicing and fat-hitting work their way back in, but now throw in occasional hooks, topping, and less frequently, brilliantly struck, long, straight shots. But If you gave me Tiger Woods' swing, I would be slicing it OOB within a week.

Here is my question: Are there some who are simply too spastic to hope to ever attain a level of consistency with regard to ball striking? I have typically been above-average in terms of athleticism, but was better at football than baseball. Or breaking stuff as opposed to fixing it. I may lack the finesse required for golf.

If so, I think I need to quit golfing or accept the level of play I am capable of. I have become very frustrated, and feel the lack of confidence and trust every time I swing now. I'm sure I need lessons, but the question remains, is it possible that an instructor will tell me that "some folks are too spastic" to play golf much better than a old, blind chimpanzee? Thanks for any feedback.

Just one Question-Is your name Jeff Passage?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suggest you look up the "stack and tilt" golf swing - you'll be drawing the ball instead of slicing it.    Seriously - it does that & the key to it all is keeping your head still & weight forward ... slicing is largely based on keeping your weight rearward & not forward.    Its designed to simplify the game & if you focus on keeping your head STILL, it'll work for you too ... it will feel weird for a few range sessions, but won't be long, you'll love golf again.    Tons of stuff on youtube explaining it...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• Administrator

Have you taken quality instruction lately? If not, what are the reasons?

Have you played from different (more forward) tees if possible?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

OP here. I have not had lessons in years, currently due to the excessive cost in my neighborhood ($75-100/hr). I suppose I should re-allocate some greens fees and range ball funds to lessons.

My old swing was very tight/tense, my head probably didn't move, nor did the rest of me. For a while I think got too loose, too much moving. Now, I think inconsistent sequencing and lack of a repeatable swing are problems. Occasionally, I uncork a long, straight shot, but have no clue why.

I have tried to adopt a "total body swing", as I'm sure I was involving arms, hands too much. The feeling of turning has helped, at least on distance, and I'm generating lag, which is magic for distance whenever I make clean contact. I should add here that allowing my arms to trail my turn, creates some pain in a left shoulder I am already favoring due to an impinged nerve in the cervical spine. I know what the advice is in that regard, but like I said, I was a football player.

• Administrator

There is lots of free advice here, and you can also read a bit about what Mike (mvmac) and I teach by looking at http://purestrike5sk.com/ . I'm not saying that so you buy anything, but if you read there, it makes sense, and you come here and read some threads, you can learn a fair amount for free.

In general, if you can work towards one "key," you'll get better faster with a more focused effort on things that actually matter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Skenny

I suppose I should re-allocate some greens fees and range ball funds to lessons.

This. Practicing (or playing) with a bad swing will never make you better.

First of all, never give up. I joked about this before, but I pretty sure the average starting age for golf is 40 plus? Secondly, Erik and Mike are really good teachers, and I have plans to meet with Mike mid month. I have a new coach who completely overhauled my swing. The proper swing did two things for me. Avoid injuries and shorten my swing for more control. Previous to this I was planning on giving up or accepting the previous state of affairs. Don't just accept that you are mediocre. Take lessons, they really work.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am 50 and gave up the game for many years because my swing sucked, scouts and work in that order.

My son got me back in it (swing still sucks, just not as bad). Took some lessons and play every week, I have a good time, heck there are a lot of rounds i could care less what my score is i have fun, that is all that matters.

My son even calls me two ball on short par 3 holes, because i suck on the first one,  drop a second and it is straight most of the time, I think all mental at this point. :loco:

Point is if you enjoy the game, get some lessons, read, ask for help on this site and practice. You may never be tiger, I wont either but if you love the game don't give it up.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I have always been a probably-less-than-mediocre golfer  (Male, Age 55 ), but found some enjoyment on the course while compensating for a severe slice. A year or so ago, I decided to step up  my game, changed my grip, my swing, my set-up, my clubs, shoes, hat, glove, and everything else. There have been periods of improved play and distance, but accuracy has been less consistent for the most part (my slice was reliable). Every time I think I have resolved something swing-wise, slicing and fat-hitting work their way back in, but now throw in occasional hooks, topping, and less frequently, brilliantly struck, long, straight shots. But If you gave me Tiger Woods' swing, I would be slicing it OOB within a week. Here is my question: Are there some who are simply too spastic to hope to ever attain a level of consistency with regard to ball striking? I have typically been above-average in terms of athleticism, but was better at football than baseball. Or breaking stuff as opposed to fixing it. I may lack the finesse required for golf. If so, I think I need to quit golfing or accept the level of play I am capable of. I have become very frustrated, and feel the lack of confidence and trust every time I swing now. I'm sure I need lessons, but the question remains, is it possible that an instructor will tell me that "some folks are too spastic" to play golf much better than a old, blind chimpanzee? Thanks for any feedback.

You may not be able to save shots as well but with dedication to an instructer you will see improvement emediately

[...] I'm sure I need lessons, but the question remains, is it possible that an instructor will tell me that "some folks are too spastic" to play golf much better than a old, blind chimpanzee?

I haven't checked - but it's my guess that precisely NO instructors will tell you that at the outset of a course of lessons.

And why would you trust someone who only tells you that AFTER a lesson?

If the cost of lessons is an issue (damn sure it is for me), then I wouldn't discount online lessons, either through Evolvr or another service. I was a long-time sceptic - but had a bit of a turnaround this year. It's definitely possible to get some very solid, targeted advice for $30 or less per lesson. Where I am, that means a lesson for the cost of hitting a couple hundred balls at the range. And once you know what you really need to work on - you can save on the cost of hitting balls at the range anyway, since you'll likely have solid things to work on that you can tackle at home, in front of a mirror, in the back yard etc.

Thanks for all the feedback. Had a lesson on Friday, played Sunday, as badly, score-wise, as the last time I played before the lesson. Could not putt. Did not go OB right as much, but can't shake tendency to fat-hit. May be sliding hips too much. If I can reign that in, and it helps with chunking, I will be much better off. Instructor worked with me on grip, lower and upper body during takeaway and swing. We'll get to the hands next time. I've got work to do on "body memory" in swing movements. The right way feels "alien". No trust or confidence in swing, manage to hit brilliant shots about one try in 15. The other 14 are mediocre to nauseating. Still pluggin'........

... and to answer an earlier question, most definitely playing from the forward tees, prefer the ladies, but can't always get away with it (in spite of being called Alice on the greens).

I bet that one in 15 shots feels good. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Skenny, you travelling a dangerous downward spiral IMO...

I am the type of personality that takes on hobbies with full commitment.  I start out with the intent to be one of the best in my immediate group of peers - whether it's golf, surfing, cycling, tennis, etc.  I make it a part-time job.  I obsess.  I spend as much $$ as it takes.  Then I burn out.  In business this attitude has been a great asset to me: I refuse to be beat.  But in golf it has been a crutch.

I guarantee there are many on this forum who are just like me.  We are terrible to play with because we take it too seriously, get pissed at bad shots and bring down everyone else.  And then they can't understand why we are so unhappy shooting an 80 when they had fun shooting a 95.  So we have to find others who are like us and it never turns out well.

Point is that you should enjoy the game you play, have fun and don't worry about scoring.  Your peers will accept you for your skill level and you will then enjoy the camaraderie.  If you keep going down this path of perfection you will burnout and quit.

Never quit!.........Make your own decision as to what you want to get out of the game of golf and most importantly, have fun!

Golf is a game for everyone, and for every skill level weather you are trying to make the pro cut or just enjoying a leisurely walk back to clubhouse on a beautiful day.

...........never quit!

Just having recently come back from a 6 year hiatus, I would say you have the option to take some time off but if you really enjoy the game, it WILL call you back

• 2 weeks later...

Struggling for consistency..... flashes of brilliance, more than surmounted by periods of cataplexy and transmission sticking in neutral....

Last two rounds, Par, Par starts. Then, later in that last round, on six consecutive full swing shots, dribbled the ball off the heel of the club. I begin to suspect set-up, but adjustments in that regard don't fix it.

In an individual range session, I hit the driver and 7 wood so crisply and long (for me), that I hurried to put them away. After darn near missing the ball on 8 consecutive shots with the short irons.

Got to find some consistency. I'm sure I'm not swinging the same way twice.

Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!