IGNORED

2013 Presidents Cup Discussion Thread

jamo
Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[quote name="joekelly" url="/t/69770/2013-presidents-cup-discussion-thread/18#post_901723"]'THE PRESIDENT'S CUP' !! Yaaaawwwwnnnn. [/quote] It's golf, when there is no other golf to be found. That makes it good!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'THE PRESIDENT'S CUP' !! Yaaaawwwwnnnn.

Really? It's one of my favorite things to watch all year... Watch just about every round of every tournament, but my favs are the 4 majors, the players, the match play Accenture, and the Ryder/presidents cup. Also like the Grand Slam.... Think that's what it was called... (4 major champions compete)

• Administrator

Here's what the U.S. team will be wearing, from Ashworth:

I have the jacket in the lower left and it's NICE, as well as the third red shirt from the left in the first row.

Ashworth is one of those brands that I really wanted to wear in the mid-90s as a kid because they were the "classic golf" look (without looking like the 60s, 70s, or 80s), and they still are a bit of that, which I like. I'll wear bright colors, too, but I always somewhat favor the slightly more classic look.

The jacket is really nice. Full zip-up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hope the flag thingies are not the pants they will be wearing every day. :-P

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'll be there most of the week. Looking forward to it. I think the U.S. should win handily, but the Internationals always seem to play better than they look on paper.

I hope they move the tee up on #14. Some of the guys can drive that green anyway, but with the tee up most of field will be able to. With the water short and right and the rough and slope to the left, it's an awesome short par 4. Talk about your risk/reward holes.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

I hope they move the tee up on #14. Some of the guys can drive that green anyway, but with the tee up most of field will be able to. With the water short and right and the rough and slope to the left, it's an awesome short par 4. Talk about your risk/reward holes.

Plus the chance of another Aquaman incident. It's been four years, I think.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Power Rankings: Presidents Cup
Rank Player Comment
Zach JOHNSON Zach JOHNSON Top 10s in seven of his last eight starts, including a win at Conway Farms. Just 4-5-0 in two appearances, but 3-1-0 in foursomes. Forged competitive bond with Dufner at 2012 Ryder Cup. One top 10 at Memorial (T2, 2006).
Keegan BRADLEY Keegan BRADLEY First-timer and America's energy source. Just missed making the squad in 2011 but went 3-1-0 at 2012 Ryder Cup (all three wins with Mickelson). Bradley is 1-for-3 at Memorial (T50, 2013), but he has no weaknesses in his bag.
Adam SCOTT Adam SCOTT Led Internationals in qualifying. With this edition, will have played in each of last six; 10-13-2 record. Look for pairing with Leishman for whom Scott has tremendous amount of respect. Scott is 7-for-8 at Memorial with two top 10s.
Jason DAY Jason DAY Went 1-3-1 in his debut in 2011 -- only win was in four-ball with Aaron Baddeley -- but as a local resident in a state where he found his wife, he offers the Internationals an emotional attachment. No top 25s in five starts in Memorial.
Phil MICKELSON Phil MICKELSON Only competitor to play every Presidents Cup; 18-14-10 record We'll likely see him paired with Bradley -- they went 3-0-0 at 2012 Ryder Cup -- but Spieth offers another electric sideman. Mickelson is 10-for-13 (two top fives) at the Memorial.
Hunter MAHAN Hunter MAHAN Fourth appearance. Combined with two Ryder Cups, he's 6-2-2 in foursomes, an expected slate given his sharpshooter reputation. Kuchar, Snedeker and Stricker are logical partners. Mahan is 5-for-7 (four top 20s) at the Memorial.
Tiger WOODS Tiger WOODS The 2013 PGA TOUR Player of the Year. Eighth appearance. Owns the most wins (10) in foursomes in Presidents Cup history. Expect familiar pairings. All-time earnings leader at the Memorial where he's 14-for-14 with five victories.
Jason DUFNER Jason DUFNER First-timer. It'd be an upset if he wasn't paired with Bradley at least once as the duo ranks among the best in Twitter trash-talking, but Dufner and ZJ went 2-0-0 in foursomes at 2012 Ryder Cup. Dufner is 0-for-2 at Memorial.
Graham DeLAET Graham DeLAET First-timer. Henrik Stenson earned attention for ball-striking during FedExCup Playoffs, but DeLaet led TOUR in total driving and ranked third in GIR. A pairing with Cabrera could be sneaky. DeLaet placed T21 at 2013 Memorial.
Charl SCHWARTZEL Charl SCHWARTZEL Impressive 3-1-1 as Presidents Cup rookie in 2011, but both partners (Geoff Ogilvy, Retief Goosen) didn't make it back. Partnership with friend Oosthuizen seems imminent. Schwartzel is 6-for-6 with one top 10 at the Memorial.
Jordan SPIETH Jordan SPIETH First-timer; Captain's Pick. PGA TOUR's Rookie of the Year. Co-led with nine top 10s. Can't imagine teammates turning down partnership, and likewise. Expect leadership-type to take him under a wing. One start at Memorial (T63, 2013).
Ernie ELS Ernie ELS Internationals' elder statesman in eighth appearance (17-16-2). Partners have been many, but we'll likely see him next to Grace, who is a product of Els' golf academy. Els is 18-for-20 at Memorial with six top 10s, including the 2004 title.
Webb SIMPSON Webb SIMPSON Captain's Pick in his second appearance. After formidable partnership with Bubba Watson in last two team competitions, could start anew with fellow Wake Forest product Haas. Simpson's only top 45 at Memorial was a T7 in 2011.
Brandt SNEDEKER Brandt SNEDEKER First-timer. Also 0-for-6 at Memorial. Backed up 2012 FedExCup championship with two wins, two seconds and nine top 10s overall. Went 1-2-1 as Ryder Cup rookie in 2012. Stricker said that Snedeker is best putter he ever saw.
Hideki MATSUYAMA Hideki MATSUYAMA First-timer. The Internationals' version of Jordan Spieth. Two-time Asia-Pacific Amateur champ (a stroke-play event). Getting his first competitive look at Muirfield Village. A wildcard in terms of finding a suitable partner.
Angel CABRERA Angel CABRERA Back for a fourth time. Just 4-6-3 overall, but 2-0-1 in singles. Battled wrist injury late this season after inspiring run from April-July. Pairings with DeLaet and Matsuyama may make sense. One cut made at Memorial (T22, 2011).
Brendon de JONGE Brendon de JONGE First-timer and Captain's Pick. Shares Zimbabwean heritage with his captain. de Jonge is a machine but hasn't broken through for victory on the PGA TOUR. Best finish in four starts at the Memorial is T12 in 2010.
Branden GRACE Branden GRACE First-timer. Placed T25 at the 2012 Memorial. It's been one year since he recorded his most recent victory (his fifth of 2012), but he's registered six top 10s since, including a T3 at the Volvo World Match Play Championship.
Matt KUCHAR Matt KUCHAR The irony is that the winner of the WGC-Accenture Match Play is an aggregate 0-3-0 in singles in two Ryder Cups and 2011 Presidents Cup. Picked off his second win of 2013 at, you guessed it, Muirfield Village (five straight top 10s).
Bill HAAS Bill HAAS In his debut in 2011, got beat up (1-3-0) despite America's four-point win. Co-led the PGA TOUR this season with nine top 10s but finished no better than T20 in his last six starts. One top 10 (T4, 2013) in six starts at the Memorial.
Marc LEISHMAN Marc LEISHMAN First-timer. Commanded the stage at the Masters en route to a T4. As a captain's pick this week, matches with fellow Aussies are probable, particularly Masters champ Scott. Leishman hasn't cracked top 40 in five starts at the Memorial.
Steve STRICKER Steve STRICKER Battled injuries all season but logged eight top 10s, four for second place. He's 11-8-0 in four appearances; 12-for-13 at the Memorial with one top 10 (win, 2011). Could pair with most, but went 0-3-0 with Woods at 2012 Ryder Cup.
Louis OOSTHUIZEN Louis OOSTHUIZEN First-timer. In return to competition, missed cut by four strokes at Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, but made only two bogeys on his last 45 holes. Pairing with Schwartzel is likely. Missed cut in only Memorial start (2012).
Richard STERNE Richard STERNE First-timer. Only 18 starts in 2013, but won once, posted two seconds and added five top 15s, including a T9 at Volvo World Match Play Championship. Placed T36 in only start in Memorial (2009). Teaming with Els is rational.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't really think you can rate "power players" on past performance.... This is golf, and power is determined by how you happen to be playing at any given time. Example? Rory would have been considered a power player coming into this year's season, this however, was not the case... Same story with the presidents cup....

Saffas are training hard, as usual.

Greg Norman is whinging hard, as usual.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/greg-norman-2013-presidents-cup-not-international-captain-rolex-omega-speculation-093013

Thank Christ we don't have to deal with Robert ****in' Allenby this time around, although to be fair Richard Sterne is almost as much of a self-centered prick.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/greg-norman-2013-presidents-cup-not-international-captain-rolex-omega-speculation-093013

I don't keep track of what goes on behind the scenes of the Presidents Cup (or the Ryder Cup for that matter) although I always watch both events.

I was surprised to see in the article that the PGA Tour Director has anything to do with who coaches the international players. I figured they chose their own coach and we chose ours. Looks to me like that would be the best way to do it.

• Administrator

I don't keep track of what goes on behind the scenes of the Presidents Cup (or the Ryder Cup for that matter) although I always watch both events.

I was surprised to see in the article that the PGA Tour Director has anything to do with who coaches the international players. I figured they chose their own coach and we chose ours. Looks to me like that would be the best way to do it.

It's a PGA Tour run entity. Who would "choose" the coach for the other side when there is no "other side"?

It's not like the PGA and the European Tour (the PGA chooses our captains in the Ryder Cup, and I think a committee of European Tour people choose the European captain).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's a PGA Tour run entity. Who would "choose" the coach for the other side when there is no "other side"?

It's not like the PGA and the European Tour (the PGA chooses our captains in the Ryder Cup, and I think a committee of European Tour people choose the European captain).

I have no idea and really couldn't care much less than I do. As I said I have never paid attention to any of that and wasn't aware that there was ever a problem (but apparently there is, at least in Norman's mind).

• Administrator
I have no idea and really couldn't care much less than I do. As I said I have never paid attention to any of that and wasn't aware that there was ever a problem (but apparently there is, at least in Norman's mind).

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you seem to be reading in attitude where none exists or was intended. It's not the first time. I was just asking you a question because you seemed to be confused. If you truly couldn't care much less why comment? Commenting implies interest. So I tried to help.

The November skins games were more thrilling than this stuff. Ryder Cup has no money on offer for the 'athletes', rather like college football.  What about the Prez Cup?  Any money for winning?  If not, we need to question what these guys are doing, and why.  To me, it's all hype, branding and marketing; no real sport.  These guys are professionals, not amateurs, and are motivated, driven and measured by $$$$$$$$.

Saffas are training hard, as usual.

Thank Christ we don't have to deal with Robert ****in' Allenby this time around, although to be fair Richard Sterne is almost as much of a self-centered prick.

Looks like they are staying in the cheapest hotel in town lol

I got a feeling that USA is gonna dominate the presidents cup this weekend.They still have a bad taste in thier mouth from last years choke job in the Ryder cup.Only way to get rid of that bad taste is destroy the international team to win the cup!

Really? It's one of my favorite things to watch all year...

Watch just about every round of every tournament, but my favs are the 4 majors, the players, the match play Accenture, and the Ryder/presidents cup.

Also like the Grand Slam.... Think that's what it was called... (4 major champions compete)

I cant understand why the most exciting golf only happens one time a year(ryder cup and presidents cup)..I really think team golf is alot more exciting to watch than stroke play.

The November skins games were more thrilling than this stuff. Ryder Cup has no money on offer for the 'athletes', rather like college football.  What about the Prez Cup?  Any money for winning?  If not, we need to question what these guys are doing, and why.  To me, it's all hype, branding and marketing; no real sport.  These guys are professionals, not amateurs, and are motivated, driven and measured by $$$$$$$$.

Could it be simple competitive spirit mixed with a bit of national pride? As for the old silly season stuff, I don't miss that crap at all!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!