IGNORED

If you wanted to start all over?

swalker
Note: This thread is 3876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

BTDT....Don't know how long you've been practicing or what you are working on, but sometimes it helps just to back off completely for a week or so, don't even think about it and then approach it from the fundamentals one piece at a time.  Its like quitting smoking, Hell I used to tell people:  "Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times".   (actually that is true, but the last time about 40 years ago took).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One bad round - forget it.

Two bad rounds - check your fundamentals

Three bad rounds - have a lesson

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What do you mean by "start over"? If you mean "change everything at once", then I don't think that's feasible or necessary.

If you're a 15 handicap, there are probably fewer issues standing between you and improvement than you think. On the other hand, you probably have some ideas about the swing that you might never escape.

I sliced the ball when I learned as a kid. However I've spent the last few years playing, if not fighting, a draw. However I was never truly comfortable aiming right into trouble. Aiming left and trying to fade the ball back always felt more "do-able" even when I was hooking everything.

In other words, I don't think you can simply tear up your golfing history - but then, you probably don't have to either. If you're truly ready to quit, you're probably ripe for trying some decent instruction!

If you're truly ready to quit, you're probably ripe for trying some decent instruction! That's one of the problems, in my area there are no true instructors. Every time I think I've got something really good. I mean I shoot in the mid 70s and then the next time, you'd think I've never seen a golf club. I don't have a one way miss during these times neither. I realize I'll never be as consistent as the pros but I'd love to have something I could count on. How would I lock some thing in,be it a draw or fade and nail it down?

Yep. Go find a pro you feel like you can develop a decent working relationship with. This may require interviewing a few. Tell them how you are feeling and that you are willing to "start over" if that is what it takes. That way they won't approach your lessons trying to bandaid over swing flaws to fix specific symptoms. It may take a while, but if you are carrying a 15 I bet it really won't take all that long to sort out what swing problems you may have. Don't forget to practice.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Where would you start? Because right now I'm so inconsistent I want to quit!

grip, set up, weight distribution, turn, weight transfer, hips. balance, swing path. one of those things will always surface and bite my swing.

im basically just finished with rebuilding a shorter RH stroke and now doing enough reps to make it muscle memory is my goal.

just start over and swing slow - get a mat, some plastic balls and hit into a fence.

Where would you start? Because right now I'm so inconsistent I want to quit!

Last summer, before instruction, I had bad rounds (in 100s) and horrible range sessions that lasted a couple weeks. I was baffled. I took a couple weeks off. Then I came back fresh and was in the mood to just swing nice and easy at the range, just to see what happened. Lo and behold, the ball flight returned to where it was before the funk, and I could swing full speed by the end of the first range session back. Scores returned to normal (low 90s).

It's amazing what time and distance from golf can do when you are in a funk. Oh, and slow down. Easy half swings incorporating what you remember about fundamentals.

And yes, then lessons. In my case, I did that when I realized I wasn't truly improving after a few more rounds. Mid-90s with no improvement in sight lost its appeal.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm basically starting all over myself. Haven't played a round in 8+ years. I've started with basic... grip, stance, ball placement, posture... Been watching as many videos as I can. Bought a hitting mat, use "paper towel balls" and swing when I can... been to the range twice now, just trying to concentrate on tempo, and allowing my body to lead... Biggest problem I have is consistency in setup... distance from ball, and maintaining spine angle... Tuesday I will play my first official round... hoping to keep it at 100. When I played basketball competitively I'd always have a ball in my hands... my favorite was laying on my back and shooting to the ceiling... repetition is key... at least that's my approach this time.

Think you may have solved your problem... [quote name="swalker" url="/t/69819/if-you-wanted-to-start-all-over#post_894110"] Absolutely. No frustration except the double on #7. :-)[/quote]

Note: This thread is 3876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!