IGNORED

Why do you play golf?

islandersfan1
Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play because I find it fun and I think it's a great opportunity for scholarships/college. Other people play to get away and others to relax. Why do you play golf?

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six, and write down five".

Paul Harvey

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because its easy to get, but hard to master. It provides an opportunity for lifelong learning and I'd like to see how good I can get. Plus you don't have to be physically gifted to play. And you can drink beer on the course :) it's really got everything.

-Justin

My Swing

SLDR C 10.5, Aeroburner 3W/3H, MX-200 4-GW, Vokey Chrome 200 56 & 60, TM White Smoke

because it's fun???  Isn't that why we all play.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I can see why people take up golf in middle age. After leading a life where you burn the candle at both ends in your early twenties, and maybe play more intense sports. Life gets to the point where you have demands on your time and lots of responsibility so you need a sport that provides a juxtaposition to that. For me golf fits that description it still provides a sporting element and the challenge of improving your skill. Also though it relaxes my mind out in the fresh air and a golf course celebrates how beautiful a landscape can be when its tailored for a purpose. Oh and its like legal drug taking who needs a fix when you have a white ball and a stick:)

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Because. It. Is. The. Awesomest. Sport. Ever.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

There is noting as pure as a well struck golf shot -Roy MacAvoy (tin cup) I love being outside on the courses, I love how it is a game against yourself, I love how much fun it is to play with other people, I love the challenge, and I love the reward. There are a millions reasons I play, I truely love the game of golf. I even enjoy just going outside and practicing hitting shots, just love the feeling, it relaxes me. To me, it is an unparalleled experience where every hole has the potential to be the best of your life.

I play it for the endless challange.  No matter how good you play, you could always be better.  I also play golf because the ups and downs of a round and dealing with those things teach you a lot about yourself and teach you a lot about dealing with adversity that transfers to learning how to deal with the ups and downs of daily life.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It's the only time in the week that my mind clears itself from thoughts of work, bills, finances, wife and kids! Once I'm faced with a nice looking fairway and look down to see my ball on a tee, the world disappears, my troubles are replaced with grass, my problems are replaced with the sky, and my worries are replaced by the breeze in the air, it's a form of meditation for me at the moment, a blissfully spent few hours of fun and challenge with friends! And as I putt out on the 18, we shake hands, look forward to the next time... and life sadly resumes! ;-)

Gaz Lee

Because I'm an idiot who enjoys emotional pain, suffering, and embarrassment.  I know of no better way to inflict them upon myself than by playing this silly game!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I play golf b/c I no longer can play my favorite sports (boxing, tennis, basketball, soccer, ...) without risking my well being.  I broke too many bones playing physical sports and golf seems to be much safer one to play.

... and all of the above.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Hmmm...............spending 4-5 or so hours outside on a beautiful day whacking a ball around in a wonderful, quiet sedate piece of real estate.......vs...........8 hours at the office trying to get through the day without p&%%ing any one off.

I choose golf.......

Why do I play golf....

2 reasons.

The first one is my own saying...I can't find any other form of self abuse I like better than golf.

The second one is by Hardy Greaves from the Legend of Bagger Vance....

"It's the greatest game there is.  Ask anybody. It's fun. It's hard and you stand out there on that green, green grass, and it's just you and the ball and there ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself; just like Mister Newnan keeps hittin' himself with the golf club every time he gets angry. He's broken his toe three times on account of it. It's the only game I know that you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, which most people are. There just ain't no other game like it."

It truly is the greatest game there is.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Because I'm an idiot who enjoys emotional pain, suffering, and embarrassment.  I know of no better way to inflict them upon myself than by playing this silly game!

[quote name="RickK" url="/t/69826/why-do-you-play-golf#post_894203"]Why do I play golf.... 2 reasons. The first one is my own saying...I can't find any other form of self abuse I like better than golf. The second one is by Hardy Greaves from the Legend of Bagger Vance.... "It's the greatest game there is.  Ask anybody. It's fun. It's hard and you stand out there on that green, green grass, and it's just you and the ball and there ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself; just like Mister Newnan keeps hittin' himself with the golf club every time he gets angry. He's broken his toe three times on account of it. It's the only game I know that you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, which most people are. There just ain't no other game like it." It truly is the greatest game there is. [/quote] Both of these stand true of me. And, I love that movie!

I used to have other hobbies - playing guitar, riding my motorcycle, mountain biking, etc.  But each of the friends I did that stuff with sort of dropped out of it or moved or something and I found myself doing these things alone - or really just kind of not doing them anymore.  So I took a mental inventory and realized that several of my friends played golf.  Off to the PGA superstore I went and got a used set of G5's.  Practiced a little and started playing.

Then two of my buddies moved, one joined a private club I can't afford and another 2 of them had kids.  Now I play by myself or whomever they pair me with.  But I can't stop.  Always feel the need to be out there.  Not exactly sure why.  But I can't wait to go again.

Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!