IGNORED

How do you deal with the 'Gimme' players?

jbest
Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree. Seriously trying to say that you should just bypass the rules if there are people behind you? "Well, I missed the green, but it'll probably be quicker if I just drop a ball on the green and take the gimme...easy birdie!"

Agree. This is exactly the same thing as taking a 10" putt rather than marking it or trampling on your partner's line.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree. This is exactly the same thing as taking a 10" putt rather than marking it or trampling on your partner's line.

If you're playing by the rules, it is the same thing. If you tee off on the next hole, I believe you're disqualified in both scenarios. Correct?

And if the people behind you are on your ass, it isn't because you spent 3 seconds putting out from 10", it's because you're slow.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

If you're playing by the rules, it is the same thing. If you tee off on the next hole, I believe you're disqualified in both scenarios. Correct?  And if the people behind you are on your ass, it isn't because you spent 3 seconds putting out from 10", it's because you're slow.

How does one get disqualified from a casual Saturday morning round? #fearthecourseranger

Kevin

How does one get disqualified from a casual Saturday morning round? #fearthecourseranger

Well, I said if you're playing by the rules. If you're playing by the rules, you would disqualify yourself, no? ;-)

Ryan M

Why is a possible spike mark a greater offense than a gimmie?

Also, unless your balls are on the exact same line, he can walk up to his ball without stepping in your line.  If they are on the same exact line, then his normal putting stance wouldn't put his feet on your line.  Even if your feet are then in someone else's line, you can stand somewhere else and tap it in.  Think about it--when you take a gimmie, do you leave the ball there, or does someone knock it back to you?  Unless that person is contorting like he's playing in the Twister championship, you probably could have stood in the same spot and easily knocked it in.  We're talking about gimmie length putts.

I think the whole stepping on someone else's line thing is overblown.  Not to say that you shouldn't avoid it when you can--you absolutely should.  But the odds that you stepping on someone else's line would actually affect their putt is pretty small.  For that reason, I wouldn't insist that a playing partner cheat to avoid him stepping in my line.  That being said, I did once play with a guy that probably weighed well over 300 pounds and seemed to walk on the outside edge of his feet, leaving big creases on the greens.  I wouldn't want that guy walking on my line.

Not to say that I mind when people take 10" gimmies.  I just don't buy the "trampling on your partner's line" as a reasonable excuse for them.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Why is a possible spike mark a greater offense than a gimmie?   Also, unless your balls are on the exact same line, he can walk up to his ball without stepping in your line.  If they are on the same exact line, then his normal putting stance wouldn't put his feet on your line.  Even if your feet are then in someone else's line, you can stand somewhere else and tap it in.  Think about it--when you take a gimmie, do you leave the ball there, or does someone knock it back to you?  Unless that person is contorting like he's playing in the Twister championship, you probably could have stood in the same spot and easily knocked it in.  We're talking about gimmie length putts.   I think the whole stepping on someone else's line thing is overblown.  Not to say that you shouldn't avoid it when you can--you absolutely should.  But the odds that you stepping on someone else's line would actually affect their putt is pretty small.  For that reason, I wouldn't insist that a playing partner cheat to avoid him stepping in my line.  That being said, I did once play with a guy that probably weighed well over 300 pounds and seemed to walk on the outside edge of his feet, leaving big creases on the greens.  I wouldn't want that guy walking on my line.   Not to say that I mind when people take 10" gimmies.  I just don't buy the "trampling on your partner's line" as a reasonable excuse for them.

In short, no. I can stand 4 or 5 feet from the hole and reach in and sweep away a 12-incher. If I'm going to putt it, I need to stand at least within 2 feet of the ball, and then I have to physically stand within a foot of the hole to retrieve the ball. Or I have to mark it Maybe it's just me, but if I'm standing over a 20-foot birdie putt I'm thinking only about making that putt. If you putt before me and leave a 6" tap-in, then trample all around the hole right before I putt, it bothers me. I know it's your option, but unless you're exceptionally etiquette-minded I'd prefer that you mark it (just not in my line). Most people are not exceptionally etiquette-minded. Further, at least 75% of the folks I play with (and the vast majority of these folks are people I'm randomly paired with at the course) routinely take gimmes. If you're a "putt it out or disqualify yourself and walk off the course" person than you're in a very, very small minority. And you might need to relax a bit--golf is supposed to be fun. And again of course I'm not talking about competitive rounds. I'm talking about the rounds I typically play, which are just for enjoyment.

Kevin

If you're a "putt it out or disqualify yourself and walk off the course" person than you're in a very, very small minority. And you might need to relax a bit--golf is supposed to be fun.

I'm not, I'm just being an ass. :-P

Ryan M

I think the Key is too not touch another persons ball on the putting surface. Have you ever had someone do that too you?

I agree with you, and the only time a person went to hit my ball back to me was when they asked if it was okay first and then I said, "no, I'd like to putt it out, thanks."  That was on the first hole in a random round last year, and they were fine letting me putt out the rest of the round.

But the OP described a scenario (IIRC) where his buddies often just hit the ball back to him or something.  I guess if it really bothers you and they won't stop, he should find a new group of playing partners?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Further, at least 75% of the folks I play with (and the vast majority of these folks are people I'm randomly paired with at the course) routinely take gimmes. If you're a "putt it out or disqualify yourself and walk off the course" person than you're in a very, very small minority. And you might need to relax a bit--golf is supposed to be fun.

I'm definitely not, I just don't think not "trampling" on your partner's line is a good reason to take a gimmie, since it can be avoided 99% of the time, and even where it can't, it probably won't matter.  I have no problem with you or anyone (including myself) else taking short gimmies and posting your score. :beer:

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm standing over a 20-foot birdie putt I'm thinking only about making that putt. If you putt before me and leave a 6" tap-in, then trample all around the hole right before I putt, it bothers me. I know it's your option, but unless you're exceptionally etiquette-minded I'd prefer that you mark it (just not in my line).

I don't stand over many birdie putts.  But I'm just saying that you don't have to choose between trampling all around the hole or taking a gimmie.  you can always knock it or mark it without trampling.

I usually don't take gimmies myself, but I don't get worked up if a playing partner knocks it back to me, or if someone else takes one.  When I do take one, its usually to save the time that it takes to approach the spot carefully without stepping on someone's line.  If other people have long putts left, sometimes that means taking a very roundabout route.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Can't say it comes up often that my putt and someone I'm playing with are exactly on the same line. It might happen once or twice a round and there's just as much a chance they knock it by as leaving it short. I'm certain I haven't been asked to move my marker more than twice the entirety of 2013. Whether it is or isn't you'll still be near the hole with your shoes. Not to mention I can tap any spike marks I leave down after I putt out. I don't consider this an etiquette or slow play issue. I'm not standing on the fairway tapping my foot waiting for guys to putt out 10 inchers. If anything that's when I know the torture is almost over after watching them chase wild slices all over the course.

Dave :-)

I agree with you, and the only time a person went to hit my ball back to me was when they asked if it was okay first and then I said, "no, I'd like to putt it out, thanks."  That was on the first hole in a random round last year, and they were fine letting me putt out the rest of the round.

That's only happened to you once?  I find that it happens a lot more often that than--maybe once every 4 or 5 rounds.  But I probably play with strangers more often than most do.  I played with a guy last weekend that was in such a rush that he was walking up the fairway before anyone else hit.  He probably knocked 2-3 putts back to me.  But that certainly wasn't the first time.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• 3 months later...

I'm chiming in late on the subject...new to TST.

If you are not holding up the group behind, I don't think a stranger should be knocking putts back to you. Drives me crazy. I like to putt out everything, otherwise I don't feel like I've played a complete round. If POP is an issue, I'll take 1 foot and close gimmies, but that's it.

It's funny how people will brag about their decreasing handicaps while taking 3-5 foot gimmie putts.

I like that sound when the balls falls in the cup.  It's very satisfying.

Don't take that away from me.

Bill - 

Not wishing to be too precious, but 'gimmies' are OK for social play, maybe, if agreed by all parties, but if anyone tried it on me in a club competition or for handicap I would not sing their scorecard (would warn them when they first tried it).  And as pointed out above, they are appropriate for match play.

The problem is when some fool spends 5 mins standing over a put inside 12". Yes, I've seen it happen, cuz there was a foursome betting on every shot.

The problem is when some fool spends 5 mins standing over a put inside 12". Yes, I've seen it happen, cuz there was a foursome betting on every shot.

I think if you have anybody behind you, you should hurry up, unless you are a 1-some or in a tournament .. or there's a group ahead of you. For the weekend, my course is always packed.. people will take extra time on the greens because there is nowhere else to go.

Also, I don't like speedsters in golf. I never understood how people went out and played 18-holes as fast as they could, even hitting in to people. I had a 2-some behind me today that hit into me countless times. I would have let them go, but there was a 3-some ahead of me. They even hit it into the green when I was lining up my putt. Pretty lame, but they wanted out of there as fast as possible. I don't understand why.. I suppose they play golf just for the status. Just to go to work the next day "yeahhh, I played a round yesterday. yeahh" something like that.

This whole conversation is just silly, are there such a thing as gimmees in the rules of golf? Didn't think so. Has a tour pro ever missed a putt within 12"? YES! I did however have a small encounter over this subject a few weeks back. At a coworkers golf get together the first hole was a par 5, I managed to get my 3rd shot within a foot of the cup and they said pick it up. I instead walked over and tapped it in, some rolled their eyes but I said I never concede a birdie putt to anyone and don't expect it either.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!