IGNORED

2013 NFL Football

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks you Cowboys for not taking that win despite the Lions trying to give it to you repeatedly!

So, SO glad I drafted Megatron #5 overall in my one league. The dude is insane...it's amazing to watch. I think when it's all done, he'll be considered the best of all-time. Even over Rice/Moss.

Also, what is it about coming to Cleveland that makes people forget how to play football? We go out and get sure-handed Davone Bess...a possession receiver to help us out...and he single handedly lost us the game against the undefeated Chiefs. We had it in the bag...unreal.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, SO glad I drafted Megatron #5 overall in my one league. The dude is insane...it's amazing to watch. I think when it's all done, he'll be considered the best of all-time. Even over Rice/Moss.

Also, what is it about coming to Cleveland that makes people forget how to play football? We go out and get sure-handed Davone Bess...a possession receiver to help us out...and he single handedly lost us the game against the undefeated Chiefs. We had it in the bag...unreal.

Honestly, it's a crap shoot with first round picks, you can only hope they have a good year. Real money is made in the middle rounds, those who can become top 10 picks.

I can't say if he will become as great at Rice. Don't get me wrong, Calvin is on a huge pace right now, but we'll see how he ages. The key for Jerry was, he was like Terrell Owens, a workout maniac. He's fun to watch though.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Honestly, it's a crap shoot with first round picks, you can only hope they have a good year. Real money is made in the middle rounds, those who can become top 10 picks.

I can't say if he will become as great at Rice. Don't get me wrong, Calvin is on a huge pace right now, but we'll see how he ages. The key for Jerry was, he was like Terrell Owens, a workout maniac. He's fun to watch though.

All I know is that Jerry Rice had one season where he averaged more than 100 ypg. Calvin is currently on his 3rd straight season averaging more than 100 ypg. And Rice played for 13 more seasons. Granted it's a different league now, but Montana threw it...a LOT.

I understand the longevity part of it, absolutely. But Calvin seems to be the first WR I've seen that not only has the most talent, but the work ethic too. Rice, was a workaholic...absolute monster when it came to fitness and practice...but I think Calvin is the most natural talent since Moss...with a much better work ethic. Put Rice up against Calvin on a strictly physical basis, and Calvin beats him out. Strength, size, speed...you name it. But he also has the skills and puts in the work. That's what can make him the GOAT if he has the longevity that Rice did.

Rice: 6'2" 200 lbs

Calvin: 6'5" 240 lbs

Rice 40 yard dash: 4.71

Calvin 40 yard dash: 4.32

Plus, CJ's strength is ridiculous. That's why I think when it's all said and done...he'll be at least in the argument as the GOAT.

Ryan M

Megatron might not be human. Jerry Rice was my favorite player or one of and he was fun to watch. But I really don't think he's got anywhere near the natural gifts as CJ. I don't ever remember Rice getting double covered on the goal line either which is insane. Its a little early for the greatest of all time debate but CJ's off to a hell of a start.

Megatron might not be human. Jerry Rice was my favorite player or one of and he was fun to watch. But I really don't think he's got anywhere near the natural gifts as CJ. I don't ever remember Rice getting double covered on the goal line either which is insane. Its a little early for the greatest of all time debate but CJ's off to a hell of a start.

That's what I'm trying to say. CJ has more physical tools, which just as much effort and dedication. If he can achieve Rice's level of longevity...Rice/CJ might be debated for years to come...

Ryan M

All I know is that Jerry Rice had one season where he averaged more than 100 ypg. Calvin is currently on his 3rd straight season averaging more than 100 ypg. And Rice played for 13 more seasons. Granted it's a different league now, but Montana threw it...a LOT.

I understand the longevity part of it, absolutely. But Calvin seems to be the first WR I've seen that not only has the most talent, but the work ethic too. Rice, was a workaholic...absolute monster when it came to fitness and practice...but I think Calvin is the most natural talent since Moss...with a much better work ethic. Put Rice up against Calvin on a strictly physical basis, and Calvin beats him out. Strength, size, speed...you name it. But he also has the skills and puts in the work. That's what can make him the GOAT if he has the longevity that Rice did.

Rice: 6'2" 200 lbs

Calvin: 6'5" 240 lbs

Rice 40 yard dash: 4.71

Calvin 40 yard dash: 4.32

Plus, CJ's strength is ridiculous. That's why I think when it's all said and done...he'll be at least in the argument as the GOAT.

Joe Montana may not have thrown it quite as much as you thing, nor did Steve young.  Both of these guys were Rice's main QB.

I picked a 3 year string for Stafford, Young, and Montana (their three highest Pass attempts per game seasons).

Montana Averaged: 470 Pass Attempts per year

Young Averaged:     456 Pass Attempts

Stafford Averaged:  589 Pass Attempts

The more humorous part of these totals is that one of the seasons I had to use for Stafford is a season where he only played 10 games.  So if he had played all 16 that would have been an even higher average.  So on a small sample size Stafford was averaging over 100 more ATT a season than Young or Montana.

This is no way a discredit to Megatron or to boost Rice.  Simply stats to look at when making a judgement.

Jeff

Joe Montana may not have thrown it quite as much as you thing, nor did Steve young.  Both of these guys were Rice's main QB.

I picked a 3 year string for Stafford, Young, and Montana (their three highest Pass attempts per game seasons).

Montana Averaged: 470 Pass Attempts per year

Young Averaged:     456 Pass Attempts

Stafford Averaged:  589 Pass Attempts

The more humorous part of these totals is that one of the seasons I had to use for Stafford is a season where he only played 10 games.  So if he had played all 16 that would have been an even higher average.  So on a small sample size Stafford was averaging over 100 more ATT a season than Young or Montana.

This is no way a discredit to Megatron or to boost Rice.  Simply stats to look at when making a judgement.

Absolutely. I know they didn't throw a ton compared to Stafford, I meant compared to the average QB at the time...Montana threw it a lot. I think Stafford throws more than any other QB in football (I'd have to double check that...but he's at least close to the top).

Even with those throws though, I don't remember Jerry Rice being triple teamed half the game and still making the catches anyway.

Just checked...yes, last year he actually broke the record for most pass attempts lol. Actually he holds 1st and 5th place all time in pass attempts in a season.

Ryan M

Stafford has had no one else to throw to. Rice is the GOAT but he didn't get nearly all the attention Megatron does. Rice always had a good rb te and usually a solid #2 wr. Its crazy to look at the number of passes Stafford throws great stat.

Stafford has had no one else to throw to. Rice is the GOAT but he didn't get nearly all the attention Megatron does. Rice always had a good rb te and usually a solid #2 wr. Its crazy to look at the number of passes Stafford throws great stat.

I wouldn't say that. In Rice's best year in 1995 he was targeted over 40 more times than the next person. The next person on the list was the RB on that team.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I wouldn't say that. In Rice's best year in 1995 he was targeted over 40 more times than the next person. The next person on the list was the RB on that team.

Usually =/= Always

:-P

Ryan M

That year was kinda odd though. Steve Young missed a bunch of games and so did John Taylor.

I'd be curious to see completions comparisons and yardage between Stafford and Montana/Young. While Stafford throws the ball a ton, and is better than anything the Lions have had in a long long time, he's a far cry from Rice's quarterbacks. In a way though, I think that leads to even bigger numbers for Calvin due to the ball being forced to him due to Stafford's questionable decision making.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I love the little things.  The "things that don't show up in a box score."

Last week or the week before, there was a long kick return by the Chiefs and the returner got past everybody except the kicker.  Instead of trying to run through or around the kicker, he had the awareness to simply slow down and let a couple of blockers get in front of him and blow up the kicker, so he could cruis unimpeded into the endzone.  Otherwise, he likely would have only had a nice 60 yard return or something.

Tonight, during OT of the Bengals/Dolphins game, the Dolphins ran a long pass play down the right side.  The DB covering the receiver got burnt, however, instead of just continuing to run behind the guy and allowing an almost certain game winning TD, he made the quick decision to just tackle the guy and take the interference penalty.  Sure the Fins got 50 yards out of the deal, but the game wasn't over, and in fact, 3 plays later, they were punting.

The interference penalty needs to change.  Every other level of the sport only gives 15 yards.  It is too much of a penalty awarded to the offense.  They still will get 15 yards and the clock stopped.  It has helped too many teams win games that they really should not have won.  Either change it, or let the defensive backs have 10 yards for contact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The interference penalty needs to change.  Every other level of the sport only gives 15 yards.  It is too much of a penalty awarded to the offense.  They still will get 15 yards and the clock stopped.  It has helped too many teams win games that they really should not have won.  Either change it, or let the defensive backs have 10 yards for contact.

Disagree.  And I wish they would change it at other levels too.  Late minute drives are stopped with the 15 yard rule.  If a QB goes deep down the field in the last seconds of a game all the DB has to do is knock the receiver down (Interfere) and the offense only games 15 yards.  Basically, why would a CB ever let a receiver catch a ball 35+ yards down the field if he knows an interference call will only net them 15?  Yes, the penalty will stop the clock but in this instance its the yardage needed to get into field goal range or a legitimate shot at the end zone that is important.

Jeff

Disagree.  And I wish they would change it at other levels too.  Late minute drives are stopped with the 15 yard rule.  If a QB goes deep down the field in the last seconds of a game all the DB has to do is knock the receiver down (Interfere) and the offense only games 15 yards.  Basically, why would a CB ever let a receiver catch a ball 35+ yards down the field if he knows an interference call will only net them 15?  Yes, the penalty will stop the clock but in this instance its the yardage needed to get into field goal range or a legitimate shot at the end zone that is important.

This one's tough, but I agree with Slover.  Assuming (big, big, assumption here, I know) that the refs are calling it correctly, then its a perfect penalty, in that your punishment equates almost exactly with the crime.  Theoretically, he would have caught the ball at that point had you not interfered with him, so it seems quite fair that he would get it right there.  Obviously, it can be frustrating when its a phantom call, or an uncatchable ball or the like ... but the problem there lies with the enforcement, not the rule itself.

The only other rule that equated even better with the crime is Intentional Grounding.

The rules that frustrate me the most are the ones that include automatic first downs.  I don't think any of those are necessary.  Defensive holding, for example.  Maybe make the penalty 10 or 15 instead or 5, but the auto first down seems excessive.

Note: This thread is 3699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!