IGNORED

2013 NFL Football

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's why they installed the little 3 foot arc painted below the basket. If you are outside of the arc as a defender then you can't slide inside the arc to take a charge and flop like Danny Ainge perfected in his career. It really is making the charge and or block much clearer and easier to call. Bottom line is once the player leaves his feet you need to be outside of the arc for a charge to occur. You know what I mean Toe Jam? :-P

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

That's why they installed the little 3 foot arc painted below the basket. If you are outside of the arc as a defender then you can't slide inside the arc to take a charge and flop like Danny Ainge perfected in his career. It really is making the charge and or block much clearer and easier to call. Bottom line is once the player leaves his feet you need to be outside of the arc for a charge to occur. You know what I mean Toe Jam? :-P

[SPOILER=Warning: OT]Sure, but they installed that many years ago. I'd even argue that it adds complexity to the call since the refs have to judge whether or both the defensive player's feet were outside the arc. Ainge is a good example, but more recently Glen Davis has earned roster spots just by drawing dozens of bogus charges. [/SPOILER]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[SPOILER=Warning: OT]Sure, but they installed that many years ago. I'd even argue that it adds complexity to the call since the refs have to judge whether or both the defensive player's feet were outside the arc. Ainge is a good example, but more recently Glen Davis has earned roster spots just by drawing dozens of bogus charges. [/SPOILER]

I wouldn't know I haven't watched NBA since Kobe Bryant came into the league and tried to mimic Jordan and all his moves. NBA is all one on one anymore. College ball is where it's at. Nothing like watching a good team share the rock like Wichita State, Duke, Zona and the Zags. A lot of parity in college bball nowadays. I think we fans need to shed the term "mid-major" now.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Like I said, he's been there, done that already in Philly. But he will never win a big game. 14 years of it, and I'm glad he's gone. Everybody in Philly is. There were a few years there where Reid had the best overall football team in the NFL, but they always under-achieved in the big games. Who knows how Chip Kelly will work out in the long run, but at least we have some hope.

As an Eagles fan I'm "glad" that Reid was replaced by Kelly and that is not the 7-5 colored glasses talking...I was HAPPY with the decision to move on from Reid when it happened as too much had gone on in the recent past both personally and professionally.  I also stated at the time that:

1. Andy Reid would and should be the first hire of the offseason and it would be almost immediate (there were multiple teams courting him right away).

2. If you want to find the best long term coaching record in the history of the Eagles look no further than Andy Reid. 14 seasons...1 NFC Championship...4 NFC Championship games...7 division titles...9 playoff appearances. He won PLENTY of big games...just not the biggest game at this point. It's too difficult to say whether they'd have won less or more without him.  We can only assess based on the facts we have in front of us.

3. Donovan McNabb had a hall of fame career (yes, he will be in the HOF) in his offense with the likes of Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell (I could go on) around him as receivers. I'm obviously not certain how much the head coach plays into that but it's pertinent within the body of work.

4. Reid was hired prior to the 1999 season...what are the chances that a different hire would have produced a more successful 14 year run in Philadelphia?

BTW...I know that arguing football/coaching, etc. is like arguing politics...so, I'm not arguing. Just stating my opinions and getting some facts out there :-D

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

As an Eagles fan I'm "glad" that Reid was replaced by Kelly and that is not the 7-5 colored glasses talking...I was HAPPY with the decision to move on from Reid when it happened as too much had gone on in the recent past both personally and professionally.  I also stated at the time that:

1. Andy Reid would and should be the first hire of the offseason and it would be almost immediate (there were multiple teams courting him right away).

2. If you want to find the best long term coaching record in the history of the Eagles look no further than Andy Reid. 14 seasons...1 NFC Championship...4 NFC Championship games...7 division titles...9 playoff appearances. He won PLENTY of big games...just not the biggest game at this point. It's too difficult to say whether they'd have won less or more without him.  We can only assess based on the facts we have in front of us.

3. Donovan McNabb had a hall of fame career (yes, he will be in the HOF) in his offense with the likes of Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell (I could go on) around him as receivers. I'm obviously not certain how much the head coach plays into that but it's pertinent within the body of work.

4. Reid was hired prior to the 1999 season...what are the chances that a different hire would have produced a more successful 14 year run in Philadelphia?

BTW...I know that arguing football/coaching, etc. is like arguing politics...so, I'm not arguing. Just stating my opinions and getting some facts out there

I agree with everything you wrote, I'm not a big fan of Reid but don't think he's the real reason that the Eagles didn't make it to the Super Bowl or that KC is going to suffer because he's now coaching there.  Reid needed to move on from Philly, there were too many bad memories, professional and personal there.

While McNabb may get into the HOF, I never thought highly of him as a QB.  He was average at reading defenses, had accuracy problems and overall didn't seem to have the fire inside him that a good leader needs.  That evaluation only comes from seeing him during Jets / Giants games and when the Eagles were nationally televised so admittedly a small sample size.

Reid seemed to always be one or two players short of having a Super Bowl caliber team.  When his defense was set, he had the likes of Pinkston and Mitchell trying to catch the ball and McNabb unsure of whether he wanted to be a drop back or running QB.

I have no doubt the Reid's problems off the field leaked into his professional life, there's no way a father can focus 100% on their job when his kids are in trouble.  It was time for the Eagles and Reid to part ways and start fresh, I wish them both well.

Joe Paradiso

You said yourself you havent watched NBA since Kobe came into the league so thats about 16 seasons. In that time the NBA allows teams once again to play zone defense eliminating the whole 1 on 1 league thing. This is known as the Allen Iverson rule in some circles. This is an NFL thead so I'll end with this............I HATE THE ROIDED UP SEAHAWKS. Im done.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I had an epiphany this weekend.

I've always had a bit of a pet peeve when it comes to ball spotting, first downs, measurements, and the chains.  It makes no sense whatsoever, but we keep on doing it the way we do it, because ... well, that's the way we do it.

Here's the problem:  A team gets a first down.  Then what happens?  The guys on the chains move laterally to the APPROXIMATE point on the sideline that is even with where they estimate the ball to be.  They can get fairly close, thanks to hash marks, but there are no ifs, ands, or butts about it ... its an estimate.  Then the third guy comes in with the little clippy thingy and locks down the location of the chains by tying it to a 5 yard line.  Thats great, however, it does not take away from the fact that it started out as an estimate.

Now a guy gets close to getting another first down, and they go through to whole song and dance with the chains and the measurement to show that he did (or didnt) get the first down by a matter of inches, or sometimes even less.  No matter what they decide, its still a false conclusion because, again, it all started out on a guess.

My thought is this:  Why not add a new rule that states that after a team has made a first down, they simply "round off" the spot location to the nearest full yard line?  The only time the exact location of the ball on the field is critical is when you are close to the end zone, and since no first down can be made once you're inside the 10 anyways, this rule would not apply there.  On the rest of the field, the important thing is that the team be required (and allowed) to get a first down if, and only if, they gain 10 yards.  Not be given a free first down when they get 9 yards and 33 inches, or  denied one after going 10 yards and 2 inches, but exactly 10 yards.

An added bonus to this rule would be that on the occasions when the spot was rounded to a 5 yard line, they would never even need to do the measurement.  They would know immediately if they got a first down or not.  They would still sometimes need measurements on the other parts of the field, but the added benefit of this rule would be that the chains would be precise, because they'd never have to guess if it was at the 33.2 or 33.3 yard line.  It would always be the 33 on the nose.

Also, this re-spotting only occurs after a team gains a first down.  Not on every play, and also, as previously mentioned, not when its goal to go.

Somebody tell me why this wouldn't work.

I agree with everything you wrote, I'm not a big fan of Reid but don't think he's the real reason that the Eagles didn't make it to the Super Bowl or that KC is going to suffer because he's now coaching there.  Reid needed to move on from Philly, there were too many bad memories, professional and personal there.

Reid seemed to always be one or two players short of having a Super Bowl caliber team.  When his defense was set, he had the likes of Pinkston and Mitchell trying to catch the ball and McNabb unsure of whether he wanted to be a drop back or running QB.

Um...Reid led the Eagles to a Super Bowl. They just lost to the cheaters.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple drank View Post

I wouldn't know I haven't watched NBA since Kobe Bryant came into the league and tried to mimic Jordan and all his moves. NBA is all one on one anymore. College ball is where it's at. Nothing like watching a good team share the rock like Wichita State, Duke, Zona and the Zags. A lot of parity in college bball nowadays. I think we fans need to shed the term "mid-major" now.

You said yourself you havent watched NBA since Kobe came into the league so thats about 16 seasons. In that time the NBA allows teams once again to play zone defense eliminating the whole 1 on 1 league thing. This is known as the Allen Iverson rule in some circles. This is an NFL thead so I'll end with this............I HATE THE ROIDED UP SEAHAWKS. Im done.

Hope you're ready for a beat down on Sunday night. Seahawks-42.....Whiners-13.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

This is an NFL thead so I'll end with this............I HATE THE ROIDED UP SEAHAWKS. Im done.

Hope you're ready for a beat down on Sunday night. Seahawks-42.....Whiners-13.

The Seahawks may make it to the Super Bowl, but then they have to actually play a good team on the road, so I don't like their chances.  They lost in Indy and almost lost in Houston, and who knows what NY Giant team will show up in two weeks.  This week against SF is the only other tough team they have played away from home.  Hate to say it but they really haven't successfully passed the test yet.  The Broncos swept the league at home many times, but it took more than that to finally win a Super Bowl.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

While McNabb may get into the HOF, I never thought highly of him as a QB.  He was average at reading defenses, had accuracy problems and overall didn't seem to have the fire inside him that a good leader needs.  That evaluation only comes from seeing him during Jets / Giants games and when the Eagles were nationally televised so admittedly a small sample size.

I have no doubt the Reid's problems off the field leaked into his professional life, there's no way a father can focus 100% on their job when his kids are in trouble.  It was time for the Eagles and Reid to part ways and start fresh, I wish them both well.

Yeah, Reid was not the same coach (or GM) the last 3-4 years in Philly and it showed on the field. It was time for him to leave. I was driving to a client this morning and heard John Kincade on the radio describe what he left in Philly as a "dumpster fire". Pretty apropos, IMO.

Bill M

I think it's true that it was time for Andy Reid to leave Philly but unfair to say it was a dumpster fire when he left. He dealt with off field issues the best way he could while doing one of the hardest jobs in probably the toughest sports town in America. Now you wanna talk dumpster fires, lets talk about Pete Carroll and maybe even Chip Kelly CHEATING in college and leaving before the hammer comes down. Andy Reid is a good coach and thats why he was out of a job for all of five minutes. Im a Niner fan so I have no dog in this fight, except my hatred for Pete Carroll.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I think it's true that it was time for Andy Reid to leave Philly but unfair to say it was a dumpster fire when he left. He dealt with off field issues the best way he could while doing one of the hardest jobs in probably the toughest sports town in America.

Don't forget that Reid's defensive coordinator Jim Johnson died in 2009.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Right!

His son also died in his last year while still at Philly.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I think it's true that it was time for Andy Reid to leave Philly but unfair to say it was a dumpster fire when he left. He dealt with off field issues the best way he could while doing one of the hardest jobs in probably the toughest sports town in America.

Originally Posted by jamo

And Reid later hired his offensive line coach as the defensive coordinator. :doh: But that was after he first hired a defensive line coach who only knew how to coach the wide-nine, which the new defensive coordinator didn't want, nor did the defense have the personnel for.

Sorry. Dumpster fire.

Bill M

Andy Reid will no doubt go down as one of, if not the, best coaches the city has ever had (and deservedly so). Having said that, he also benefitted from having a great defense and one of the best defensive minds in football for a good stretch of his tenor with the Eagles (kind of like what he's inherited in KC). He helped bring football back to this town and it was great while it lasted, but it was definetly time for him to go (for his sake and the sake of the team). Jury's still out in my mind on Chip Kelly, like a lot of what I've seen so far, but some of the 4th quarter play calling has been flat out horriffic lately.

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!