IGNORED

difference between a decent camera and iphone 5S?

MizunoPez
Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

was in the market for a decent camera to record video at 120 fps. Having just seen the Apple media event it is confirmed that the video capture can record at 120 fps (along with the galaxy S4, not sure if there are any others)

my question is, knowing how good apple are with software would it be reasonable to assume that the need for a decent camera is now eradicated and being able to use the 5S instead?

is there really much difference?

If the camera's video app is good, that is, it's quick and easy to go to any part of the video and slow motion through it and delete selected parts, one difference I think is the use of an SD card. They may be easy to lose, but they're so handy for file transfer, you don't need a cable. I don't know whether it has manual shutter control for low light conditions like my Casio does. I also like real buttons as stopping and restarting on a touch screen, the response is nowhere near as good.

That said, I'd prefer to use a smartphone - one less thing to carry, one less battery to charge, don't need to keep track of SD cards. But I think battery usage may be an issue if you record a lot of video or are planning for a long period of use and need your phone afterwards. Most people have an outlet or car charger at their disposal, but not always.

It all depends on your use case.

On the range, you might still want an actual camera, but on the course, imho, this is the perfect use case. If I had a phone that did 120fps, I'd use it much more often when I'm actually playing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We don't know yet. I'm more interested in the enhanced motion-tracking capabilities. Seems like that has the potential to turbocharge apps like GolfMTRx, which are already pretty useful.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

If the camera's video app is good, that is, it's quick and easy to go to any part of the video and slow motion through it and delete selected parts, one difference I think is the use of an SD card. They may be easy to lose, but they're so handy for file transfer, you don't need a cable. I don't know whether it has manual shutter control for low light conditions like my Casio does. I also like real buttons as stopping and restarting on a touch screen, the response is nowhere near as good.

iOS 7 has AirDrop though, so if you have a Mac, that would be even easier than an SD card. Either way, my Casio does 210 fps. Since I already have it and my iPhone 5's contract is still a year away from needing renewal, I don't think my situation is going to change.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah, it'll be awhile until I get new phone too.

Anyone think they'll see more people taking videos of themselves on the range now that high fps is available on the new iPhone? Apple does have a way of making lesser known features more mainstream.

Any guesses as to whether or not this feature will become available on future models of the iPod Touch or the cheaper iPhones?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

A phone is a phone.........a camera is a camera period.

Are you saying that there are people out there that expect/demand the quality of a phone camera to equal the quality of a real dedicated camera, and that they are disappointed that the results are not the same?

Duh...............

If the phone or iPad runs ios7 then it will have the slow motion capability for its camera. Regards Mailman

Source? I quickly Googled it and haven't found much.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
A phone is a phone.........a camera is a camera period.

Are you saying that there are people out there that expect/demand the quality of a phone camera to equal the quality of a real dedicated camera, and that they are disappointed that the results are not the same?

Duh...............

Turns out the iPhone camera is pretty darn good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've used my iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5 to record video on the range before - it works great.  I have a few different apps that are for recording swings and analyzing them and so fourth.  One of them is Golf Coach Direct I think.  I love it.  My iPhone 5 is becoming everything when I play golf.  Keeps my score, tells me my yardage, records statistics, records my swings, etc.  Although the GPS I don't think is quite as accurate as my Garmin Approach but often times my Garmin Approach collects dust because it's just one more thing to carry.  I am able to pretty well judge my distance on sight.  I just use GPS to confirm my choice but typically I can use just my sight and a course marker to say "I think this is a good 9 iron".

Quote:

If we're comparing an iPhone for example to a SLR camera or so on yes, there's a big difference.  But iPhone between even a great quality point and shoot?  Not much, at least not in my eyes.  The iPhone has a phenomenal camera and records video just as well.  Point and shoot cameras are obsolete in my life thanks to cell phones.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

And you have it with you practically all the time so you never miss a shot. A camera you have is always better etc...

Steve

Source? I quickly Googled it and haven't found much.

Apple's phone comparison page lists slow-motion video only under the 5s and not 5c or 4s: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

In my bag:

I'm surprised that I can't find any golf swing videos posted online taken with the s4's slow motion feature. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a try this weekend and post it here.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I'm surprised that I can't find any golf swing videos posted online taken with the s4's slow motion feature. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a try this weekend and post it here.

Please do that would be great, will give us a good idea of what to expect with the 5S (for those who are getting it).

Please do that would be great, will give us a good idea of what to expect with the 5S (for those who are getting it).

Did a quick search on YT - "Samsung S4 slow motion 120 golf" and variants.

Even the Note 2 is pretty darn good:

Steve

This depends on your perception of "darn good".

There are many photo's of equipment for sale on this very form that are either blurred or so poorly lighted that the details of the item are not perceivable.

No wonder there are so many disclaimers attached to these photo's that clearly state " I will try to up load better pictures tomorrow".................

I've used my iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5 to record video on the range before - it works great.  I have a few different apps that are for recording swings and analyzing them and so fourth.  One of them is Golf Coach Direct I think.  I love it.  My iPhone 5 is becoming everything when I play golf.  Keeps my score, tells me my yardage, records statistics, records my swings, etc.  Although the GPS I don't think is quite as accurate as my Garmin Approach but often times my Garmin Approach collects dust because it's just one more thing to carry.  I am able to pretty well judge my distance on sight.  I just use GPS to confirm my choice but typically I can use just my sight and a course marker to say "I think this is a good 9 iron".  If we're comparing an iPhone for example to a SLR camera or so on yes, there's a big difference.  But iPhone between even a great quality point and shoot?  Not much, at least not in my eyes.  The iPhone has a phenomenal camera and records video just as well.  Point and shoot cameras are obsolete in my life thanks to cell phones.

I never go to the course without my iPod Touch 5. It's what I film everything with and is better quality than my camera, minus the zoom capabilities. Plus, I have apps like V1 Golf and Golf MTRx that I can use.

Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!