IGNORED

What will a good ball do for me?

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How is that relevant?

Every time I play in a group of 4 at least 1 or 2 of the other guys are playing Titleist balls and they all look alike until you pick them up.  As for the expensive part, I guess that is what has kept me away from them as a brand.  If I can get Pings for $500 or Titleists for $1000 it's an easy choice because the Pings are great quality too.  Is this bothering you that I feel this way?  What else is there to discuss here?

I generally play the NXT Tour because it performs well in all areas, and doesn't break the bank. That being said, my current fav ball is the Callaway Hex Black Tour... Good off the tee, and excellent around the green. Just my luck, picked some up at Dick's yesterday since they were $66 for 2 dozen (basically a $10 savings per dozen). Smell Good - As far as the "relevent" comment... You were talking about clubs, but this post was about ball performance. So the guy questioning the relevence of you posting about clubs vs. ball performance makes sense. And there is quite a difference btween Ping & Titleist... But that is for another thread.

Ok so lately I've been playing from about 6-730 at night and its very tough to track the ball. Even on some good shots slightly off the Fairway i can't find. Anyway I'm still learning and lose a decent amount of balls so my question is what am I missing out on by playing the balls below. Am I losing distance? Whant makes the better ball better? Sorry if this quesrion has been answersed before http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19173796&lmdn;=Price&cp;=4413989 Or these http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18665716

Machmood - if you're loosing quite a few balls a round, I would echo everyone else and say stick with the cheaper balls. But once your game improves, start looking into balls that fit your game the best. For instance, my whole game is from 150 and in. So its important to me to play a ball that performs well from that yardage and around the green. But I lose a ball or two off the tee every round... So I don't like paying $4 per ball (it just pisses me off even more when I lose one haha). NXT Tour is what works for me all around.

Every time I play in a group of 4 at least 1 or 2 of the other guys are playing Titleist balls and they all look alike until you pick them up.  As for the expensive part, I guess that is what has kept me away from them as a brand.  If I can get Pings for $500 or Titleists for $1000 it's an easy choice because the Pings are great quality too.  Is this bothering you that I feel this way?  What else is there to discuss here?

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have been so snarky :-P

I've just never heard of someone not liking a particular brand of golf ball because they're boring looking. :blink:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My theory has always been a little different from other peoples. You will almost definitely see some improvement and it probably wont get worse. Its not about what ball youre good enough to play. Its what ball you can afford to lose.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I sometimes whip out the DT SoLo Optic Yellow - it is a fairly good ball for the price point.  Seriously guys if you haven't yet try playing a round with a yellow ball, you might wind up like me who never wants to go back.  SO much easier to see.  And you'll probably be the only one on the course using a ball that isn't white - easy identification.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

First off, I would find an easier more forgiving course where you don't lose so many balls.  I'm confident you can find one with short rough somewhere.  Play it until your ball striking is more consistent.

Then,. buy a decent ball for greenside.  There are plenty of balls that aren't rocks but also don't spin a ton off the driver, but give good greenside.  I've found ProV1x and Calloway Hex Chrome + to be great balls that offer best of both.  I used to play the e6 and it was OK but awful greenside.  Since switching I've dropped an easy 4-5 strokes getting the greenside stopping power to score well.

No need to pay for a prov1 if your game doesn't require it. Safe to say that if he's losing balls, then he can't work the club in order to utilize the prov spin anyway... imo Doesn't the prov1 have higher spin rates than the solo ball, while only offering minimal distance gain?

I ended up getting yellow top flite d2s. The yellow makes a huge difference when the sun is coming down. Easier to follow the flight and spot it in rough. As far as performance I can't tell a difference and lose a lot of balls so for now its whatever Ball is 2 for 20$ or 2 for 25$. The d2 was 30 balls for 25$. On side not i hit a par 5 in 2 with driver then a 4 iron I caught perfect and it trickled up to the front fringe. Really digging the yellow ball even if my Friends make fun of me

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!