IGNORED

The Green Out Of Bounds???

Always an 80
Note: This thread is 3862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gotta crazy one here. Friend of mine playing PGA event. He hits to the back of the green. No problem right? Wrong!! He gets called out of bounds if you can believe it. They set the boundaries up not quite right you see. He was shown that as things lined up that his ball was in fact out of bounds! Yes on the green!! Anyone here ever witness this type of insanity?? He was speechless to say the least.

Was he playing at MeFree's course? Just kidding, but your scenario makes no sense at all.  Where was this PGA tournament held, where hitting the green is OB?

Not that the State makes any difference but happened in upstate Indiana. The ruling was that markings had to be complied with even if seemingly wrong and that the rules would be the same for everyone. When word got out I bet everybody started playing a bump and run. Lol

Gotta crazy one here. Friend of mine playing PGA event. He hits to the back of the green. No problem right? Wrong!! He gets called out of bounds if you can believe it. They set the boundaries up not quite right you see. He was shown that as things lined up that his ball was in fact out of bounds! Yes on the green!! Anyone here ever witness this type of insanity?? He was speechless to say the least.

An actual PGA Tour event? Which one? I'm struggling to believe this.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I'd have invoked 3-3 if I couldn't get a ruling in a reasonable time frame.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And yes you are most certainly correct. It made no sense at all. Some Moron just so happened to dissect the green when setting things up and no one caught it before tournament play began.

Not that the State makes any difference but happened in upstate Indiana. The ruling was that markings had to be complied with even if seemingly wrong and that the rules would be the same for everyone.

When word got out I bet everybody started playing a bump and run. Lol

What course and what hole?

I can call him and ask for the particulars. He may not want to mention anything specific though so as to not stir anything up. He has however given up his standing and has been out of tour play for several years. All I can do is ask him about it. No promises. I am sure he is telling the truth tho. He could not believe the situation either!

He said the official lined him up with the boundaries and showed him how his ball was just out of bounds as it sat on the back of the green. He States he was ready to simply quit then and there. He was totally disgusted with the BS as he put it.

I can call him and ask for the particulars. He may not want to mention anything specific though so as to not stir anything up. He has however given up his standing and has been out of tour play for several years. All I can do is ask him about it. No promises. I am sure he is telling the truth tho. He could not believe the situation either!

Can't imagine what would be "stirred up" by mentioning where this supposed fiasco happened. Knowing how carefully PGA events are set up, it seems unlikely that this happened as you said.

Can't imagine what would be "stirred up" by mentioning where this supposed fiasco happened. Knowing how carefully PGA events are set up, it seems unlikely that this happened as you said.

Crazy stuff happens every day. Especially where egos are involved. Ive seen many instances where people in an officiating position would simply not admit to a misjudgement or mistake at any cost. I know it sounds wild. I am sure it was a minor tournament. Not much important goes on in Indiana if you think about it. Lol. He is a great golfer by normal standards and has a great deal of integrity. I am sure that this bizarre incident occurred. Small tourney back in the 80s ? Yeah I can see it happening. Out of the way tournament in out of the way place. I believe him. I was just wondering if you guys ever heard of something this crazy before.

• Administrator
What boundaries? Stakes? Those can go missing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Was he playing at MeFree's course? Just kidding, but your scenario makes no sense at all.  Where was this PGA tournament held, where hitting the green is OB?

Not that the State makes any difference but happened in upstate Indiana. The ruling was that markings had to be complied with even if seemingly wrong and that the rules would be the same for everyone.

When word got out I bet everybody started playing a bump and run. Lol

This is a joke, right?  Just like your goose poop thread.  No committee in a sanctioned tournament would make such a stupid ruling.  They would look at the out of bounds marking and then remark it correctly without doing something as stupid as penalizing a player and then not repairing the mistake.  Either this is just bull$&!# or this was the stupidest tournament committee on the planet.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It could be that a greenkeeper tasked with placing the stakes didn't understand the straight line concept.

Or the stakes were placed the day before and overnight one went missing.

More likely the former.

It could be that a greenkeeper tasked with placing the stakes didn't understand the straight line concept.

Or the stakes were placed the day before and overnight one went missing.

More likely the former.

But do you agree with me that the moment it was discovered, the error should have been corrected rather that penalizing a player for such an obvious screw up?

Rick

But do you agree with me that the moment it was discovered, the error should have been corrected rather that penalizing a player for such an obvious screw up?

Yes. Now if another player had come thru earlier and played it as OB, not likely, it gets a little more ugly. Could any of this really happen?? A PGA event??

Regards,

John

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yes.

Now if another player had come thru earlier and played it as OB, not likely, it gets a little more ugly. Could any of this really happen?? A PGA event??

I would think that the first person confronted with the possibility of being out of bounds on the green would have protested it, so I don't see your concern as likely to be valid.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!