IGNORED

Hybrid Icing in the NHL

iacas
Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Hybrid Icing (2013 NHL Pre-Season) - Keep it or Go Back to Traditional Icing?

• Keep Hybrid Icing
    • Revert to Traditional Icing

• Administrator

I like it. I don't think the "race for the puck" that continues into the boards adds any suspense and only leads to more possible injuries.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Looks like no one wants to think about Hockey, I guess that would mean the end of the golf season!

Possibly.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think they should definitely move in this direction. Traditional icing has led to far too many freaky injuries.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I had to look up what "hybrid icing" was. If I understood correctly, it gives referees an opportunity to call the icing before anyone touches the puck IF it is clear that the defensive team will reach the puck first. Do I understand it correctly? If so, how are the referees calling this? For example, let's say a defensive player is skating for the puck and is at the blue line. An offensive player, who is known to be one of the league's fastest skaters, is a few paces behind. Would they let those two players race for the puck and call an icing if it later becomes clear that the defensive player would get there first (maybe, say, 10 ft short of the puck)?

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

I had to look up what "hybrid icing" was. If I understood correctly, it gives referees an opportunity to call the icing before anyone touches the puck IF it is clear that the defensive team will reach the puck first.

Yep. If the offensive player is in the lead, or they're close, the play continues normally.

Quote:

Do I understand it correctly? If so, how are the referees calling this? For example, let's say a defensive player is skating for the puck and is at the blue line. An offensive player, who is known to be one of the league's fastest skaters, is a few paces behind.

They race to the "line" formed by the two face-off dots. If the defensive player clearly gets there first, they blow it as icing.

Quote:

Would they let those two players race for the puck and call an icing if it later becomes clear that the defensive player would get there first (maybe, say, 10 ft short of the puck)?

See above. The line between the faceoff dots.

Actually that's not 100% true, but the line is used as a sort of "make your decision now" point. The below is an example that shows it's not simply a "race" to that "line," just that the line is used as the point at which the ref makes the determination of whether someone will clearly get to the puck first.

Quote:
This description led many to believe that hybrid icing was a "race to the faceoff dots." However, the linesman is actually making a determination of which player more likely to make it to the puck first. A case where this might apply would be a puck being rimmed around the boards. While the defensive player may reach the dots first, icing may be waived because the offensive player is more likely to reach the puck first.

Let's take a look at a diagram.
This is a hypothetical example of the above description. If the puck (red) were rimmed around the boards in a clock wise fashion, you can see that the defensive (green) player may be the first to the dots but the offensive player (yellow) would be first the puck. That is what matters in hybrid icing.

Huge Red Wing fan. I am a traditionalist. I believe in safety but think the game is getting dummied down. The origins six didn't have a faux rule. A race to the puck could affect skating speed later in the game.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
Huge Red Wing fan. I am a traditionalist. I believe in safety but think the game is getting dummied down. The origins six didn't have a faux rule. A race to the puck could affect skating speed later in the game.

They're still racing, and in situations where it's close the refs let the play continue. This simply eliminates the times when a player has a clear lead but is likely to be boarded or hit from behind in touching up.

Sound like a good idea.  As for the original six, they weren't as fast and big back then and didn't board each other as much.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
Sound like a good idea.  As for the original six, they weren't as fast and big back then and didn't board each other as much.

I agree. They played football without real helmets back in the day; doesn't mean we should play it that way now.*

Though, oddly, playing football without helmets would probably result in FEWER head injuries and concussions, if you think about it…

My Dad met Gordy Howe.  My Dad was a plumber and they were renovating Boston Garden back in 1971.  The Red Wings were in town.  Gordy was far more interested in sitting with the plumbers on their lunch break than practicing.  My Dad said he was funny and told some great stories.  He also showed them how he would hold the butt end of the stick and jam it into the ribs of they guy he was checking into the boards.

We were all playing hockey at the time and practiced that move!!  Gordy was sneaky tough.  Great player.

He also met all the Big Bad Bruins of the time.  We were fanatics back then.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Ask the players that played against Gordy Howe about hitting hard.

:doh:

• Administrator

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the proposed new rule, Erik.

I think this one's a no-brainer, it should be approved... For reasons others have already stated.

GMs are in favor, I hear.

I've watched every Pens pre-season game. It hasn't had any effect except to eliminate a few dangerous situations. The times when it's too close to call, they don't (call it).

I can't think of a single good reason not to implement it. Hockey is more dangerous today than it used to be, and the rules should change accordingly.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I see this first and foremost a safety issue, but also helps to "speed" up the game (like hockey needs speeding up).  Time is wasted in chasing down a puck that will ultimately be called icing and a face off.  Make the call sooner, no one gets hurt and time is spent on playing the game.  A little like the intentional walk in baseball, time wasted throwing four balls to the plate.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!