IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

1 hour ago, Antneye said:

My wedges and putter save me. My long game gets me in trouble. If I could get off the tees more consistently (not possible with my present swing) I'd get down to the low to mid 80's. Right now Im just trying to play bogey golf with an occasional par but I get too many crooked numbers because of the long game. 

My short game is terrible and I'm overall just very wild with my irons (driver, oddly enough, not as wild).

-----

I did a side my side of Rory's driver swing and mind and wheras I'm lifting the inside of my back foot at impact, he's lifting the outside which, when I tried to mimic the movement at home in front of my mirror made me feel like I have a lot more weight on my front leg at impact so that'll be something I'll keep in mind when hopefully I practice tomorrow. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Will do.

Absolutely don't mind at all - if my thread can help others then that's great!

It's funny - we're often our own worst critics.  I wouldn't call my swing solid as I see many faults to it.  From your Handicap Index, it seems you're a better player than I am so if anything, I'm envious of you. haha.  I'll have to check out your swing thread see if I can make any suggestions.

----------

Today I decided to practice with my driver.  However, what started as light rain got heavier as time went on so rather than my normal routine of hitting a ball and then checking the camera, I ended up just working on strike and stroke and, once I felt I was hitting the ball really well, I took some video which I'm planning using hopefully tomorrow to work on changing the picture.  Although I'm not falling back and still have my balance, I'm definitely arching way too much on the follow-through. 

Anyway, here are my two best strikes.

For some reason, your videos remind me of this!😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

For some reason, your videos remind me of this!😀

Not exactly the swing I'm trying to replicate. :-$

----

So, after yesterday's range session and watching Rory's driver video from FO I decided to do some mirror work last night and this morning to try and replicate the movements that I saw concentrating on three things - 1) ensuring my takeaway was not too far inside by feeling like it's one piece, 2) that I started my downswing by shifting my hips and getting my weight more forward, and 3) that on the downswing the weight on my trail foot is on the inside part of my foot rather than the outside while feeling like I'm stretching the muscles under my rib cage on the left side of my body (I feel that helps me keep my head behind the ball).

I started slow but found that I took to it rather quickly and by the end of the session, liked what I saw as far as ball flight and then what I saw on video afterwards.  With all the practice I've done this week, I'm debating taking tomorrow afternoon off and getting a round in to see if there's any improvements.  Here's two of the swings. 

Christian

• Administrator

Those look better. If you play keep one simple thought in mind and go with it.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Those look better. If you play keep one simple thought in mind and go with it.

Thanks!

Playing this afternoon so will keep that in mind - now just have to decide which to choose from that will most help with both my irons and driver, haha. 

Christian

So this may be me moving on to things more quickly than I should but I was watching some videos and notice that I don't effectively get my weight forward on the downswing so I thought I'd work on that some and watched Day 10 of @iacas 30 Day COVID-19 practice plan.  So, if I understood correctly, you want to sway back an inch on the backswing and then begin the downswing by swaying forward and down.  I did the two drills beforehand and then did some slow swings and then took these videos at a more regular speed. 

I don't think these look too bad.  I think my finish FO looks more like a good swing should and the DTL view with the side tilts at end of the swing I think are good.  I think I may be on this for a while, though, because I feel I am standing up a bit after getting my weight forward and I'm still not getting a sufficient amount of weight forward.

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

• Administrator

Whoa whoa with that over the top on the DL video.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

You...uhh...notice that, too, huh? :no:

Yeah. Check your alignment.

Ok, this morning I slowed down to what felt like 50%-60% speed and overall felt good.  I came a little too inside on the backswing and I think I started my leg movements a touch too soon, however, the OTT is gone, I feel like I'm getting more of my weight forward, and I'm staying down and not jumping up to hit the ball.  So, overall, very pleased.  I also think leaning the shaft forward to start my swing helped me feel like my swing flowed more so will probably doing that more.

Christian

Trying to build on what I felt was a good practice session yesterday but don't really feel I did.  Session started out with my taking a video to see my baseline and seeing what I needed to work on and saw that I started my legs too quickly, was coming back too inside on the backswing, and was coming OOT on the downswing.  Things that seemed to go well were head staying down.  Weight getting more forward I felt was subpar.

So, made a few adjustments, checked the camera, stlll too much on the inside but felt the sway was working well as was getting my weight forward but I am still had difficulty coming from the inside on the downswing and failed at keeping my head down and jumping up to make contact with the ball (although less-so than normal, I think).  I then got frustrated and lost concentration. 

Once I was down to my last couple of balls, I re-focused, accepted I had a pretty unproductive range session, and just tried to concentrate on a good backswing and getting my weight forward on the downswing at 60%-70% average swing speed. 

Here are the last two swings:

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

I should note that I'm thinking of maybe including the feel of rotation after i shift my weight forward to get rid of the OTT although at times I think I may be zeroing out the path but don't really know without I presume using a TM or FS.

Christian

Take my advice with a grain of salt but it looks to me that you are stalling out your lower body rotation and getting to armsy. Weight is going forward but you are not rotating your hips enough on the downswing. They don’t seem to be leading the swing if that makes any sense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Take my advice with a grain of salt but it looks to me that you are stalling out your lower body rotation and getting to armsy. Weight is going forward but you are not rotating your hips enough on the downswing. They don’t seem to be leading the swing if that makes any sense. 

Yeah I think I'm def not rotating like I should. 

Christian

So, today's range session was short and fairly unproductive as they were mowing the grass at my range today and didn't open until 9.  So, I only hit about 15-20 balls because I had to get ready for work so somewhat rushed things and it showed.  Anyway, here's the last two swings from the session where all I really concentrated on was flow.  Happy my head and body isn't jumping up at impact from the FO view but noticed I need to get hands more forward at impact.

Christian

As an aside, I wanted to see what may have stuck with a regular swing so took a video of that, too.  Not terrible, IMO.  Head stays down more and I'm not jumping up like I normally do.  I'll be interested to see how that translate on the course on Saturday when I play.

Christian

Played yesterday and overall felt good.  Def feel some things are sticking.  Noticed at the end of today's practice that I wasn't rotating in one piece so the last few swings that's what I focused on.  I think the last FO swing looks solid.

Christian

Hit the range today and felt I had a good session.  Concentrating on getting my hands forward by feeling like I continue to rotate to the end of my backswing and also that I'm stretching my front oblique while crunching my back oblique.  Felt I was doing pretty good and increased my speed which turned into my overdrawing the ball to the left of target so, will keep going slow for now until I feel more comfortable with it and address that issue next.  I also noticed I'm bringing the club way too much to the inside on the backswing so will probably do some mirror work to try and address that.

Christian