IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

Hit the range today.  Feel like I'm striking the ball much better so far in the two rounds that I've played than I ever have so figured I'd record my swing and see what I'm doing well and see where I may find some flaws.

Overall, didn't feel like I was striking the ball well today but and of a cursory look I see that at the top I'm crossing the line.  I probably could stand to keep the swing wider at the top and still have to think about keeping my right elbow away from my body at the top.  Downswing, would like to get under the plane.  Overall, ball flight is pretty straight with a bit of a cut.  Also practiced trying to move the ball (because I saw a Mark Crossfield video) from left to right and right to left by adjusting my body and wrist to control the face angle.  Anyway, here's two 6 irons and two with the driver. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Stance could be a bit narrower.

I think you should be pleased with what your swing is like. It's a good bit better than two years ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Stance could be a bit narrower.

I think you should be pleased with what your swing is like. It's a good bit better than two years ago.

Sounds good.

And I'm very pleased.  Your guidance and lessons have been so helpful!  I can't wait for this month to be over so I can schedule a trip out by you for July and get another lesson. :banana:

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So, silly me saw a Mark Crossfield video where he's trying to gain more distance by working with a coach named Mark Ball who advocates Crossfield obtain more distance by creating a greater separation between his hip and hands (really a super basic description but the link to video is here: https://youtu.be/X3rzpMzJqOY).

So, it got me to thinking that maybe i should focus some of my practice on trying to do similar which i feel is accomplished by getting my weight forward sooner.  So, here's a couple 6 irons and a few driver swings, including where i hit the ball with the top of my driver (which i actually did twice).  My feeling overall is that I could probably gain some distance doing this and i feel I'm successful doing this when I bank my front foot early on the downswing and it feels like my chest is rising to the sky and that I'm dragging my back foot effortlessly at the swings conclusion.

Thoughts?

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

Thoughts?

I think you should focus on whatever it is that allows you to strike the ball better. You don’t exactly lack for distance afaik, and you’re going to hit the ball farther simply from hitting closer to the sweet spot more often.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

55 minutes ago, billchao said:

I think you should focus on whatever it is that allows you to strike the ball better. You don’t exactly lack for distance afaik, and you’re going to hit the ball farther simply from hitting closer to the sweet spot more often.

Maybe i should start a thread based on what Mark's video is about, however, is it wrong to try and maximize distance by trying this is or maybe practicing it correctly (5S's) where i can both his the center more consistently while getting more force on the ball at impact?

Christian

Thought I'd upload my current swing for comparison.  I suck at taking video with my phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

• Administrator

Fix your grip, please. 😄

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Fix your grip, please. 😄

image.jpeg

Thanks, @iacas!

What has holding the club as I have been limited me in doing that holding it the fingers will help?

Christian

• Administrator
On 7/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, RFKFREAK said:

Thanks, @iacas!

What has holding the club as I have been limited me in doing that holding it the fingers will help?

You can't hinge it or twist/roll it properly.

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...

My current swing with the new grip.

6 iron

3 Wood

Driver

-Edit-

Hmm, not sure why the videos aren't embedding in the post. 

Christian

• Administrator
4 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Hmm, not sure why the videos aren't embedding in the post. 

Because you pasted them as styled text.

Your backswing looks much better. I'm excited; we'll be able to mostly do some downswing work.

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Your backswing looks much better. I'm excited; we'll be able to mostly do some downswing work.

Your excited, imagine what I am. :w00t::partycage:

I was actually hoping to get to at least get to the range today to work on first left wrist and not cross the line at the top but it's raining all day here and I'm busy all weekend so it'll have to wait until next week. :mellow:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the range today because I didn't like how I crossed the line at the top on my last video and to try and fix my recent left to right ball moment and get a few swings in before my lesson with @iacas I watched a Mark Crossfield video where he talked about having the face closed at A5-A6.

Didn't go well, though, as I was all over the club face and topped a bunch of balls.  When I did get it in it air, it was mostly massive hooks.  Anyway, here they be.

(still not sure why it's not embedding when I post from my phone).

Christian

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

(still not sure why it's not embedding when I post from my phone).

Same answer as the last time:

On 7/13/2023 at 8:18 PM, iacas said:

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/ - "Please make sure that the URL is not formatted. If, when you paste it, you're given the option to "paste as plain text," please do so."

Also, your face isn't closed.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also, your face isn't closed.

Indeed, and bringing the club way too inside on the back swing.  Probably should have left well enough alone.

Next range session Tuesday 👍

Christian

As your swing gets shorter your hair gets longer. Your work seems to really be paying off @RFKFREAK. How are the scores coming along?

Edited by Bo the Golfer
  • Like 1

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

(edited)
On 7/25/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bo the Golfer said:

As your swing gets shorter your hair gets longer. Your work seems to really be paying off @RFKFREAK. How are the scores coming along?

Thanks!  

Actually getting a haircut tomorrow but only taking off the dead ends 🤭.

-----

In anticipation of my lesson with @iacaslater this week, though it might be a good idea to take a vid of driver swing on the 18th hole of a tough day on the golf course.  Here it is in slow motion.

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian