IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

• 4 weeks later...

So I made a post (http://thesandtrap.com/t/54697/golf-downswing-sequencing/36#post_1108429) and took these two face on videosΒ to try and figure outΒ how my arms, torso, and hips interacted at the beginning of the downswing.

In the first one, I'm trying to rotate my hips and torso at the same time to try while trying to create secondary axis tilt.

In the second one, I'm trying to shift my weight forward by sliding my hips and keeping my arms back and then rotate my hips as I continue the downswing.

I didn't really concentrate on anything else in this video, just the interaction of my hips, torso, and arms in the start of the downswing. Β Are either of these correct or should I be doing this differently?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't really concentrate on anything else in this video, just the interaction of my hips, torso, and arms in the start of the downswing. Β Are either of these correct or should I be doing this differently?

I would do this drill a few times. Don't worry about the arm stuff, just try to copy the way the legs work.

Try to get the knees to touch on the followthrough. Your right foot "spins" and you keep too much weight back.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I would do this drill a few times. Don't worry about the arm stuff, just try to copy the way the legs work. Try to get the knees to touch on the followthrough. Your right foot "spins" and you keep too much weight back. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/114833/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/114834/] [/URL]

I tried this a few times this morning before I left for work and it certainly was a different sensation. I'll definitely do more of this and incorporate it slowly in my indoor swing practice. Do you think this is more important for me to work on rather than what my hips/arms/torso do at the beginning of the downswing?

Christian

Do you think this is more important for me to work on rather than what my hips/arms/torso do at the beginning of the downswing?

I think both are important, the followthrough practice will help you understand where you want to go. When you're swinging or hitting balls focus on the dynamic stuff, the start of the downswing. Then after the shot correct yourself and bring your knees together and balance more on your left foot/leg.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I think both are important, the followthrough practice will help you understand where you want to go. When you're swinging or hitting balls focus on the dynamic stuff, the start of the downswing. Then after the shot correct yourself and bring your knees together and balance more on your left foot/leg.

Well, since I'll be indoors, it'll certainly be slow and deliberate. I'm not sure how doing that drill will help me figure out how my torso, hips, and arms connect at the beginning of the downswing but I'll be a stupid monkey and work on this drill and see how it incorporates into the beginning of the downswing. :) Thanks, Mike!

Christian

• 1 month later...
First day I've practiced outdoors after going over a few things. Working on Key #2. I don't think it has anything to do with Key #2 but am I taking the club back and coming down too steep? [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/rUbBJ_RnFA4[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/qyUYb6F4iIE[/VIDEO]

Christian

Just wanted to drop in this video of my swinging my 3W while playing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can transition my iron swing to my wood swing, regardless of if it's off the tee or the deck? Β I never feel very confident when using my 3W, 5W, or Hybrid so I was curious if there were any drills that someone would be willing to share.

Thanks.

Christian

Just wanted to drop in this video of my swinging my 3W while playing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can transition my iron swing to my wood swing, regardless of if it's off the tee or the deck? Β I never feel very confident when using my 3W, 5W, or Hybrid so I was curious if there were any drills that someone would be willing to share. Thanks.

I think your stance is too wide and the ball is a bit too far forward, but that may just be the camera angle. Definitely narrow that stance, though, because it's causing weight transfer issues.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Just wanted to drop in this video of my swinging my 3W while playing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can transition my iron swing to my wood swing, regardless of if it's off the tee or the deck? Β I never feel very confident when using my 3W, 5W, or Hybrid so I was curious if there were any drills that someone would be willing to share.

Thanks.

I think your stance is too wide and the ball is a bit too far forward, but that may just be the camera angle.

Definitely narrow that stance, though, because it's causing weight transfer issues.

I would try what @billchao is suggesting. Β Try a narrower stance, maybe half a foot width first. Β Then try moving the ball back in increments of 1/2 ball to dial in the right position.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think your stance is too wide and the ball is a bit too far forward, but that may just be the camera angle.

Definitely narrow that stance, though, because it's causing weight transfer issues.

I would try what @billchaoΒ  is suggesting. Β Try a narrower stance, maybe half a foot width first. Β Then try moving the ball back in increments of 1/2 ball to dial in the right position.

Thanks, guys.

@boogielicious , I like that idea of doing things in increments. Β What do you think, take 10 shots in each placement and then pick the best one?

Christian

So, I did some practice with my net tonight after work and took two videos of me and my 3W. Β One making decent contact, one making bad contact. I noticed that in the decent contact video I have my weight and hips forward creating a bit of (I think?) secondary axis tilt. Β In the bad one, I think I'm not getting enough weight forward. Β Thoughts?

Decent contact:

Bad contact:

Actually, after looking at the videos side by side instead of one by one, maybe I don't have enough weight forward in either video.

Christian

So, I did some practice with my net tonight after work and took two videos of me and my 3W. Β One making decent contact, one making bad contact. I noticed that in the decent contact video I have my weight and hips forward creating a bit of (I think?) secondary axis tilt. Β In the bad one, I think I'm not getting enough weight forward. Β Thoughts?

;-)

I'd narrow the feet even more. in the last video of your iron swing, you did a pretty good job of pushing the hips forward. There's no reason that you can do it with your irons and not with your 3 wood. Maybe try alternating iron swings and a 3 wood swing to try and get that feeling to translate to your 3 wood. Like, three swings with the iron, then one 3 wood. As you start getting that to work in your 3 wood swing, you can drop the ratio to see if it sticks.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'd narrow the feet even more. in the last video of your iron swing, you did a pretty good job of pushing the hips forward. There's no reason that you can do it with your irons and not with your 3 wood. Maybe try alternating iron swings and a 3 wood swing to try and get that feeling to translate to your 3 wood. Like, three swings with the iron, then one 3 wood. As you start getting that to work in your 3 wood swing, you can drop the ratio to see if it sticks.

I was thinking that perhaps because the 3W is longer that it would make it more difficult.

Also, I've watch some videos and it seems that one should be sweeping at the ball rather than hitting down on it with a 3W. Β Does that change anything at all as far as how we go about making good contact with the 3W?

Christian

I was thinking that perhaps because the 3W is longer that it would make it more difficult.

From a DTL view, you would just stand up a little taller and your hands would be slightly farther away from your body.

Also, I've watch some videos and it seems that one should be sweeping at the ball rather than hitting down on it with a 3W. Β Does that change anything at all as far as how we go about making good contact with the 3W?

You don't want a steep angle of attack, but I'm pretty sure you still want to hit down on it slightly, especially with the ball on the ground.

Bill

My Swing Thread

From a DTL view, you would just stand up a little taller and your hands would be slightly farther away from your body.

You don't want a steep angle of attack, but I'm pretty sure you still want to hit down on it slightly, especially with the ball on the ground.

Yeah, I thought hitting down allows one a greater opportunity to make solid contact as I feel that by sweeping the ball, it shortens the time frame with which to make good contact.

Christian

Yeah, I thought hitting down allows one a greater opportunity to make solid contact as I feel that by sweeping the ball, it shortens the time frame with which to make good contact.

Yea, the sweeping thing is a feel, trying to get people to shallow out the AoA or whatever. If you actually tried to hit the ball at the bottom of your swing arc, you'd better be pretty good or else you're going to have all sorts of contact issues.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Yea, the sweeping thing is a feel, trying to get people to shallow out the AoA or whatever. If you actually tried to hit the ball at the bottom of your swing arc, you'd better be pretty good or else you're going to have all sorts of contact issues.

I'm having issues with my driver, too.

Even though it's on a tee and we're hitting up on it, would you say that the only difference from the DTL view from the 3W would be to stand up a slightly taller and having the hands a bit further away from the body?

Christian