IGNORED

Off Season Plans

tefunk
Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't played for a while and probably will not until mid-December (aside from the odd range session). After that there's an indoor range I can go to. It's a soccer dome/stadium/facility/thing, and during weekdays they put down mats and you can hit about 50 yards into a ceiling-high net. My situation at the time will define how much time I'll be able to put in.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Reading this thread makes me soooo glad I live in Florida. Year round golf baby!

I can understand that from a golf perspective... but days like this one last year make me soooo glad I don't live in FL...

And this isn't even in the top 5 places to ski out here!

To each his own, my man!

[QUOTE][/QUOTE][quote name="tefunk" url="/t/70194/off-season-plans/18#post_902485"] I can understand that from a golf perspective... but days like this one last year make me soooo glad I don't live in FL... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/83741/] [/URL] And this isn't even in the top 5 places to ski out here! To each his own, my man! [/quote] Nice slopes, I don't think I can ski into the closest chute without hurting myself, it looks like a 30 foot drop in. The ones further down look really nice. I would need to drive 7 hours to get to Tahoe for anything similar to those, and it costs the same as 2 decent rounds for a single day pass.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I can understand that from a golf perspective... but days like this one last year make me soooo glad I don't live in FL...

To each his own, my man!

Looks nice, where is that?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

To each his own, my man!

I really love golf now.  But part of the reason I got into it was because a Georgia guy doesn't have much of a chance at making a hobby out of skiing / boarding - but you can golf year round.  I'd easily give up golf for 5 months / year to be able to ski every weekend.  But it would be tough to live somewhere cold AND flat.  No skiing or golf?? That would be tough for me.

Looks nice, where is that?

MEfree - that is at Solitude early last December (even though the skiing isn't as good as Snowbird or Alta, I've found that is the place to go on powder days to avoid the crowds).

I noticed you play MP-52s, same as myself.  Just curious as I was thinking about this the other day... do you know if they are conforming to the new groove rules?  For some reason I'm thinking they're not, after 2014.  I only ask because I'm wondering if I'll be in the market for new irons myself after next year.

MEfree - that is at Solitude early last December (even though the skiing isn't as good as Snowbird or Alta, I've found that is the place to go on powder days to avoid the crowds).

I noticed you play MP-52s, same as myself.  Just curious as I was thinking about this the other day... do you know if they are conforming to the new groove rules?  For some reason I'm thinking they're not, after 2014.  I only ask because I'm wondering if I'll be in the market for new irons myself after next year.

Thanks- I didn't even realize that this may be an issue.  I bought them used before last season and really like them.

I just found this http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/news/?article=2009_09_21_new_groove_legislation_notice

It says- Irons: All new (MP-68, MP-58, MX-300, MX-1000) and current models (MP-62, MP-52, MX-200, MX-100) have been designed to conform to the new 2010 condition of competition (playable after 2024 for amateurs).

If they didn't, they would have become illegal for top amateur competitions after 1 Jan 2014 and for all in 2024.

Edit-  This confirms they are ok

Club Type: Irons and Wedges
Manufacturer Product Name Loft Club # Markings Meets Pre-2010
Rules of
Golf
Meets 2010
Groove
Rules
Mizuno Corp. MP-52 SET View Markings Yes Yes

http://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/search_results.asp

Unless you're planning on playing in a top-tier tournament, such as the U.S. Amateur, the groove rule change doesn't affect any of us amateurs until 2024.

Of course that doesn't mean that you can't buy new irons......you just don't have a nice convenient excuse to use with your wife! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

MEfree & David - thanks for the info.  I didn't think of checking out the USGA website to see if they had a list of conforming clubs.  I'm happy to see they are OK as I really like these irons as well, and we can play them until either they're too beat up, or we're good enough to play in top amatuer tournaments! (Sometimes I have problems with run-on sentances... my bad).

Well, off in a little bit to my first lesson of this off season transformation of my swing!

In Florida November through April are the "on" months for golf, courses are packed with snowbirds and all the rates shoot up to fill the course's coffers for the slow summer months.  For me this is going to mean less time on the course and more on the range, and particularly the putting and short game areas coming up.  The range is brutal in the summer, so I am really looking forward to cooler temps.

My goal at the beginning of the year was a 15 handicap, and I'm pleased I've accomplished that.  I am hoping to shave a bit more off the index before the end of the year and get into the high single digits.  I think that is pretty doable if I get my putting and pitching sharpened up some more.  My sand game also needs a lot of attention, but at my home course the summertime prevailing winds are right in the face coming out of the practice trap.  I think I will find more days soon where I can practice without eating too much dirt.

I will also very probably take some lessons, but I'm not planning for a regular schedule for them, just as I feel I can use guidance on something.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Unless you're planning on playing in a top-tier tournament, such as the U.S. Amateur, the groove rule change doesn't affect any of us amateurs until 2024.

Good to know.   I have 11 years to save up my money.   But I think my golf career will likely end before that, possibly, due to frustration more than anything.

Even here in California, I noticed my scores are better in summer than winter (windy, rainy course condition.  Instead of playing through poor course condition, I am now thinking it's better to double down on indoor/range practice and work on physical conditioning.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

To each his own, my man!

Lol, to each his own, looks beautiful though.

:beer:

my get up and go musta got up and went..

MEfree & David - thanks for the info.  I didn't think of checking out the USGA website to see if they had a list of conforming clubs.  I'm happy to see they are OK as I really like these irons as well, and we can play them until either they're too beat up, or we're good enough to play in top amatuer tournaments!

Just to be clear, the way I read it, is the MP-52s are fully conforming so they are ok for everything.

After not playing the last 4 years and getting a late start I'm bummed this season is ending. I really want to take golf seriously and lower my handicap, I'm just happy this year I finally seem to have a consistent swing. Other than taking a lesson or two in a few weeks, I need to improve my putting and thinking about building a green in the basement. I will be getting a full fitting(had my irons cut 1/2"). And I will try to find an indoor facility to practice at every once in awhile to make sure my swing stays consistent.

With the weather last year I was playing all the way up to the third week of November (a rarity here in Iowa).  This year it will depend on the weather, family commitments, and hunting season.  Somewhere in January I will get going again with fitness. My local course also has a indoor simulator which I spend a least 1 day week hitting on.  I turn it to the driving range and just practice swing technique.  I also have a chipping net / mat set up for my basement for the short game and I plan on getting a better putting green as well (I have a cheapo one now).

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!